PDA

View Full Version : Weigles Frame Saver question

TT Tandem
10-03-2012, 01:28 PM
I have this ordered but have a question. Does it get applied inside the steerer tube where the quill stem will go?
Also any tips??
Thanks

charliedid
10-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Spray it all over inside and rotate the frame around upside down and back again. Do it outside or someplace you don't care about.

monkeybanana86
10-03-2012, 01:37 PM
deleted (bad advice)

AgilisMerlin
10-03-2012, 01:42 PM
also spray this on the bottom of my cars/trucks :eek:

dan682
10-03-2012, 02:44 PM
I just used this stuff for the first time too. It comes with good directions. And yes it smells terrible, use it outside.

pavel
10-03-2012, 02:54 PM
it doesnt smell THAT bad. I always thought it smelled like crayons.

(whether or not you should be actively inhaling it is a different subejct)

Tom Matchak
10-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I have this ordered but have a question. Does it get applied inside the steerer tube where the quill stem will go?

Most definitely, do not spray FS inside of a steerer tube that is going to carry a quill stem. It is great stuff, but I've had it glue a stem quill (a greased one) hard in place over the course of a summer. Not a welcome discovery when you're at the airport packing your bike for the flight home! After that experience, I'm also careful about not leaving a FS coat in the seatpost zone of the ST (which gets grease instead).

khjr
10-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Also any tips??
Thanks

I sprayed it inside my steerer, then used some paint thinner to wipe out that part of the steerer occupied by the stem, then greased that portion instead. Presto! Total protection, without any risk of gluing the stem in place. Reasoning for this was that water can get flung off the front tire up into the steerer. Whether or not that water can cause damaging rust later is arguable, as the steerer tube is pretty thick right up to the threads and slot.

regularguy412
10-03-2012, 08:28 PM
I sprayed it inside my steerer, then used some paint thinner to wipe out that part of the steerer occupied by the stem, then greased that portion instead. Presto! Total protection, without any risk of gluing the stem in place. Reasoning for this was that water can get flung off the front tire up into the steerer. Whether or not that water can cause damaging rust later is arguable, as the steerer tube is pretty thick right up to the threads and slot.

Yes it can. However instead of using Frame Saver in the steerer, I just used some silicone form-a-gasket to fill the hole in the bottom of the fork crown. It stayed in there for years. Even if it would have happened to come out and go down a fork leg, it would never make any noise. If you want to take it out, just bend a paper clip, insert and pull it out. This method also help keep water and grit from getting inside the fork legs, too.

Mike in AR:beer:

monkeybanana86
10-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Most definitely, do not spray FS inside of a steerer tube that is going to carry a quill stem. It is great stuff, but I've had it glue a stem quill (a greased one) hard in place over the course of a summer. Not a welcome discovery when you're at the airport packing your bike for the flight home! After that experience, I'm also careful about not leaving a FS coat in the seatpost zone of the ST (which gets grease instead).

thanks for the warning! I'll scratch what I said then

monkeybanana86
10-04-2012, 12:08 AM
it doesnt smell THAT bad. I always thought it smelled like crayons.

(whether or not you should be actively inhaling it is a different subejct)

I like the crayon smell :) have you smelled Chain-L? now that takes getting used to

10-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Yes it can. However instead of using Frame Saver in the steerer, I just used some silicone form-a-gasket to fill the hole in the bottom of the fork crown. It stayed in there for years. Even if it would have happened to come out and go down a fork leg, it would never make any noise. If you want to take it out, just bend a paper clip, insert and pull it out. This method also help keep water and grit from getting inside the fork legs, too.

Mike in AR:beer:

And you don't just trap water that happens to get inside from the top of the steer?

And how do you stop water from getting inside the fork blades? Or, how does water get in there in the first place, except by condensation? There's only a tiny pressure relief hole anyway, and it's better to give the inevitable water or condensation a way out than forcing it to stay inside.