PDA

View Full Version : UCI v. Landis

Vientomas
10-03-2012, 12:57 PM
UCI obtains default judgment against Landis. I had to check my calendar to make sure it was not April 1st:

Piguet’s ruling forbids Landis from “stating that the UCI, McQuaid and/or Verbruggen have concealed cases of doping, received money for doing so, have accepted money from Lance Armstrong to conceal a doping case, have protected certain racing cyclists, concealed cases of doping, have engaged in manipulation, particularly of tests and races, have hesitated and delayed publishing the results of a positive test on Alberto Contador, have accepted bribes, are corrupt, are terrorists, have no regard for the rules, load the dice, are fools, do not have a genuine desire to restore discipline to cycling, are full of ****, are clowns, their words are worthless, are liars, are no different to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, or to make any similar other allegations of that kind.”

christian
10-03-2012, 01:07 PM
The UCI are no different than Kim Jong Il. Well, except for the operas.

Joachim
10-03-2012, 01:13 PM
are full of ****, are clowns..

If the shoe fits..

Nags&Ducs
10-03-2012, 01:21 PM
yeah, how do they forbid someone from their first amendment rights? oh, wait...they are a buncho commie bastards.

but really, how does a non-legislative, non-judicial, non-government organization forbid anything like that?

jimcav
10-03-2012, 01:21 PM
since rumors have hinted that there may be some other facts/testimony in their evidence that might show it wasn't defamation...

i haven't read 'secret race" yet--is the UCI actions/inactions addressed there--i'd think the sources etc for the book could have been used on Landis's side of the case if it was?

i don't know Swiss courts--as a pro rider did Landis agree to be subject to such courts etc? Not doubting the verdict, but I wonder if he even fought it in the swiss court or if there is any enforcement of the ruling--may be nothing that a little PR blip for UCI at this point.

christian
10-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Summary judgement because he did not appear. Basically unenforceable unless he goes to Switzerland in which case he might be subject to civil penalties.

The UCI are clowns.

tiretrax
10-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Is he prohibited from calling them a**hats?

whforrest
10-03-2012, 02:16 PM
I read the article about Floyd. You know the anger I once held towards the dopers like Flandis and Armstrong has shifted more to the people who control pro cycling. Namely................the UCI..............team directors..............doctors.........etc. Even ASO could have done more to fight doping.

It's difficult to remain pissed at the entire peleton.

bluesea
10-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I read the article about Floyd. You know the anger I once held towards the dopers like Flandis and Armstrong has shifted more to the people who control pro cycling. Namely................the UCI..............team directors..............doctors.........etc. Even ASO could have done more to fight doping.

It's difficult to remain pissed at the entire peleton.

That writings been on the wall from before Lance. Why you followed the rest of the sheep down that path is your own tale.

CunegoFan
10-03-2012, 02:29 PM
The UCI are no different than Kim Jong Il. Well, except for the operas.

And except for Kim Jong Il being dead, but we can hope.

572cv
10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Just to say, first amendment rights don't include libel. In landis's case at least at this point, his accusations are unsubstantiated. Just the way it is.

Hmmm?
10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
How's that for Swiss timing? They wait several centuries to seek revenge on those rogue Anabaptists who left for the idylls of the USA.

:fight:

Rueda Tropical
10-03-2012, 04:18 PM
The UCI structures the cases so its really expensive to defend and cheap to not contest. That way they can claim a 'victory and vindication'.

The Kimmage defense fund is over $50,000 and climbing. I hope Kimmage raises enough funds to turn this from an exercise in intimidation into the UCI's worst nightmare.

whforrest
10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
That writings been on the wall from before Lance. Why you followed the rest of the sheep down that path is your own tale.

Ok Suzanne Vega...........are you a poet? I didn't follow any sheep, nor do I have a tale. Lame comment dude.

malcolm
10-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Ok Suzanne Vega...........are you a poet? I didn't follow any sheep, nor do I have a tale. Lame comment dude.

I took this to mean why other cyclist followed down the doping trail, but I could be wrong. I like the suzanne vega/poet thing though.

G-Reg
10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
More prove that the UCI are just puppets and Lance is the puppet master.

Sickening.

whforrest
10-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Most of us did not realize the reach of power Armstrong had over the UCI. We knew he had power and influence but he really was on a completely different level of influence.

Sickening.

bluesea
10-03-2012, 05:48 PM

That was lame, I apologize. Didn't really mean to cast that at you--more to the neurotic knee-jerk sportfan mentality, reacting to the betrayal of the hero who falls from their pedestal of perfection.

How could I be angry at any doped athlete operating within a system that institutionally from top down enabled such doping, and in fact profited from it?

It still remains to be seen if the USADA's action was not what I suspect to be a case of bureaucratic grandstanding and feather capping by its chief, looking for fame and a better future. This action against Armstrong is nothing unless it revolutionizes the environment that allowed him to recreate himself as a doper.

54ny77
10-03-2012, 05:57 PM
just read the article on velonews. had to blink a couple times. seriously, is that for real?

i was laughing out loud at the list of can't-do sayings.

have seen some funny judicial decisions/ruling in my day, but that thing ranks up there near the top of the bizarre category.

whforrest
10-03-2012, 06:08 PM
That was lame, I apologize. Didn't really mean to cast that at you--more to the neurotic knee-jerk sportfan mentality, reacting to the betrayal of the hero who falls from their pedestal of perfection.

How could I be angry at any doped athlete operating within a system that institutionally from top down enabled such doping, and in fact profited from it?

It still remains to be seen if the USADA's action was not what I suspect to be a case of bureaucratic grandstanding and feather capping by its chief, looking for fame and a better future. This action against Armstrong is nothing unless it revolutionizes the environment that allowed him to recreate himself as a doper.

Apology accepted. Perhaps next time I will ask for clarification before I pull an arrow out of the quiver. I thought you came at me pretty hard considering I made a fairly nuetral comment. So I apologize as well.

Anyway........I agree with your comment. I believe over the next few months things will become clearer for everybody involved. And I hope it does lead to fundamental change.

Rueda Tropical
10-03-2012, 07:01 PM

Sickening.

This is all UCI. Even if Lance didn't exist they would still be corrupt sleaze balls and acting accordingly. It was the UCI that made Lance not the other way round. His career would have ended with his first TdF win being stripped if it wasn't for the UCI.

Vientomas
10-03-2012, 07:30 PM
just read the article on velonews. had to blink a couple times. seriously, is that for real?

i was laughing out loud at the list of can't-do sayings.

have seen some funny judicial decisions/ruling in my day, but that thing ranks up there near the top of the bizarre category.

I agree. I assume the UCI made a specific request to prohibit Landis from saying those things he can't say (Kind of like George Carlin's list of 7-but a longer list). Judge's typically don't make that stuff up themselves. I can imagine Pat and Hein sitting around with a bit of booze coming up with the list to submit to the Court.

bluesea
10-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Apology accepted. Perhaps next time I will ask for clarification before I pull an arrow out of the quiver. I thought you came at me pretty hard considering I made a fairly nuetral comment. So I apologize as well.

Anyway........I agree with your comment. I believe over the next few months things will become clearer for everybody involved. And I hope it does lead to fundamental change.

Thanks, I deserved it for not thinking more clearly before posting.

Agreed, and with Rueda Tropical as well. Its nauseating this cycle of persecuting athletes, which just about becomes entertainment like a Roman circus, but is in fact a significant cover up that sidesteps the wider issues.

tiretrax
10-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks, I deserved it for not thinking more clearly before posting.

Agreed, and with Rueda Tropical as well. Its nauseating this cycle of persecuting athletes, which just about becomes entertainment like a Roman circus, but is in fact a significant cover up that sidesteps the wider issues.

Your other mistake was invoking Suzanne Vega when, clearly, you're in Cheryl Crowe territory.

Tony T
10-03-2012, 09:00 PM

The Swiss Court ruled. Are they also 'puppets'?
The Lance Conspiracy :eek:

Anyway, Landis brought this on himself by making statements that the UCI "are terrorists, have no regard for the rules, load the dice, are fools" "are full of ****, are clowns, their words are worthless, are liars, are no different to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi"

And if that's a current photo of Landis on CyclingNews, he's not looking too good.

stephenmarklay
10-03-2012, 10:19 PM
yeah, how do they forbid someone from their first amendment rights? oh, wait...they are a buncho commie bastards.

but really, how does a non-legislative, non-judicial, non-government organization forbid anything like that?

Exactly and with an athlete already banned?

whforrest
10-04-2012, 12:52 AM
too funny

Your other mistake was invoking Suzanne Vega when, clearly, you're in Cheryl Crowe territory.

rustychisel
10-04-2012, 12:57 AM
I saw Cheryl Crow once, on the Lauteret. She flew in by helicopter and was waiting for that assclown.

She was with an assclown or two.

That's all i got.

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Are we ABSOLUTELY sure that VN hasn't just been fooled and run a story from the Onion?

If this is a serious written verdict, then it has all the hallmarks of these guys being buds with the judge and she did them a favor by rubberstamping their statement.

There's also an interesting story on cyclingnews about nobody ever contacting Landis in any way to present the charges or give him a chance to respond.

BBD

ptourkin
10-04-2012, 08:58 AM
I'll see him tomorrow. He's racing in a 2-man at the Furnace Creek 508. Kostman recognises no higher authority.

ptourkin
10-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Update. Floyd didn't show up for the 508. Rumor had it being something about his 2x team partner but who knows...