PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Ksyrium Sticker Removal

biker.caliente
10-03-2012, 11:51 AM
I like to remove the Ksyrium stickers on my Elite rims, since one of them is starting to flake off. Might as well do both.

I am sure many of you have done this before but what would be the best way to do so without scratching the black anodized finish?

Thanks in advance.

Fishbike
10-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Acetone / nail polish remover works. Test first on the finish.

Dromen
10-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Just finished with the process with my ES Anniversaires. Always really liked these but looked tired. Somewhere between new black and retro black, just kinda in no man's land....but now. Wow. They are going back on some bike.

1. Blow dryer
2. Finger nail - nothing metal except to get an edge started.
3. Rubbing warmed adhesive
4. Acetone(100% works best) or Peanut Butter overnight(got this from forumite)
5. Finish off with some soapy water
FYI - remove tires. Acetone cant be good for rubber.

fiamme red
10-03-2012, 12:17 PM
WD40 works well for removing sticky residue.

Tin Turtle
10-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Use rubber gloves with acetone. Your body will absorb that directly through your skin. It also absorbs water from the atmosphere and dilutes its strength over time, so pour some into your cleaning container and seal up the main container before starting the process.

tiretrax
10-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Peanut Butter
Everything tastes better with peanut butter on it!

Llewellyn
10-03-2012, 05:02 PM
I nuded up my Ksyriums quite a few years ago - they look much better with the stickers gone. I think I just used my fingernail to pull up an edge and then peeld the stickers and cleaned up with white spirit (not sure what it's called in the US) to remove the stubborn bits. Took a bit of elbow grease but it was worth it.

Still got the wheels - they're on my dodgy weather bike

sworcester
10-03-2012, 11:42 PM
After you get the stickers off, use Bestine, a rubber cement thinner, to get the residue off. Leaves no residue that will foul the braking surface. And it generally won't harm any clear coats

Dromen
10-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Thats a great suggestion.

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2012, 09:11 AM
. . . also works on the glue residue.

BBD

PaMtbRider
10-04-2012, 10:23 AM
I have the exact same wheels and did the exact same thing about a year ago. Definitely like the stealth look better and must have saved at least 5 grams in sticker weight:rolleyes:

thashicray
10-04-2012, 10:51 AM
I personally haven't tried this on my Ksyriums but try Goo Gone...my wife picked up a bottle from Michael's and they are excellent at removing stickers.

If you have access to a nurse (maybe a long shot for some), try the adhesive remover wipes they use to remove bandages or tape on patients. Luckily for me my wife seems to bring home strays that she finds in her scrubs.

biker.caliente
10-04-2012, 12:26 PM
I used my finger nails and acetone and some elbow grease, and managed to get the stickers off cleanly last night. All I have at home are Acetone and some paint thinner. I also have Goo-gone at home but it seems to work slow.

It was not much of work at all. An hour plus was all it took. A few words of caution, though. First, be sure to work with good ventilation. The fume from the Acetone sure is obnoxious. Second, take the wheels off the bike. The Acetone will corrode the clearcoat finish of the bike, unless you are in for a new paint job. Also, wear rubber gloves. The latex and nitrile ones I started with didn't last very long. Then, you still need to give the brake surface a good wipe-down. I used alchohol for this part and it worked well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.