PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Saddle-Which one?

TT Tandem
10-02-2012, 06:38 PM
After going back and forth with the idea of using or not using a Brooks saddle on my '92 Colorado ll build up. I think I have decided to go with one. Saw one at a local shop, a chain that I do not buy from, it was a B17. Just wanted to feel the weight. Quite a bit heavier but I really want the "look"!
So I guess before I order one is the B17 the way to go?
Would appreciate your feedback and then I will order it from Walbike.
Thanks!

rbtmcardle
10-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Never tried a b17, but I LOVE the swifts..

DRZRM
10-02-2012, 07:00 PM
B17 is very comfy, but a bit too heavy. I have a Ti Swift on one bike and like it. All saddles are very subjective, Brooks even more so.

PSC
10-02-2012, 07:07 PM
I have a B-17N, B-17 and a Swift and love them all. Each is on a different type of bike. My B-17N is on my SS with about 2" of Saddle to H-bar drop. I have the Swift on my "race bike" also with about 2" of drop. The B-17 is on my touring bike with about 1" of drop, I can describe it as riding on a sofa, very plush and comfortable.

bikinchris
10-02-2012, 07:08 PM
The B-17 is desgined for more upright bikes. Although many people use them on road bikes. The Team Pro is just very slightly narrower. I use the B-17 on my hybrid and the Team pro on my other bikes.

JAGI410
10-02-2012, 07:10 PM
The rough guideline I use is as follows:

Handlebars above saddle? B17

Handlebars even with saddle? Swift/Professional

Handlebars below saddle? Swallow

Louis
10-02-2012, 07:12 PM

If you're going this route I would call Bill Laine and see what he thinks. Tell him what plastic saddle normally works for you, what your riding style & body geo details are, and I bet he can come up with a decent guess on what Brooks is likely to work for you.

A head's up: On some (most?) Brooks the rails are noticeably shorter than on "normal" saddles. Be sure that the model you get and your seatpost will be able to get the saddle sweet spot where you need it to be relative to the BB.

dd74
10-02-2012, 07:12 PM
A Swallow with Ti rails would be perfect on your Colorado, IMO. It'll really look the part. They're not too heavy, either. I think the Swallow Ti is the lightest saddle Brooks makes.

CSTRider
10-02-2012, 07:31 PM
I ride a Swift on our Santana ti tandem, and stoker rides a B17 without a suspension seat post. The B17 is the most comfy seat my wife has found in 27+ years on the tandem. I also ride a Swift on my Serotta Ti Legend cross bike, which is my "go to" all-rounder single bike. Also have a "go fast" Lemond Victoire with a PRS Koobi saddle ... much lighter but not as comfy as my Swifts.

AngryScientist
10-02-2012, 07:36 PM
The rough guideline I use is as follows:

Handlebars above saddle? B17

i have seen others say this, and i think i agree. i like my swallow:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xx2XwzXo_M0/UAdu3u5rj9I/AAAAAAAAAiE/Tq7syR3UOuI/s640/IMG_0063.JPG

JasonF
10-02-2012, 08:49 PM

AS, what bars are on your bike? They look nice and shallow. TIA

AngryScientist
10-02-2012, 08:55 PM
AS, what bars are on your bike? They look nice and shallow. TIA

FSA Omega Compact (Wing)

palincss
10-02-2012, 09:06 PM
The B-17 is desgined for more upright bikes. Although many people use them on road bikes. The Team Pro is just very slightly narrower. I use the B-17 on my hybrid and the Team pro on my other bikes.

If you look at the century-old Brooks catalogs, you'll see the B.17 was Brooks' racing saddle back in the early 20th century, and was never intended for roadsters or city bikes. In the 1970s the Professional came on most racing bikes. The shapes are slightly different.

Fishbike
10-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Another vote for a Swallow. Comfy and looks terrific on a classic steel roadie.

Fixed
10-02-2012, 09:40 PM
I have a b17 on one of my fixed gears, I have some bar drop but not a lot and the nose tilts up slightly on the saddle .so comfy I could ride it all day ,even with cargo shorts on .i miss those days .weight I don't know but I think less than a full water bottle .
Cheers :)

Peter B
10-02-2012, 09:52 PM
After going back and forth with the idea of using or not using a Brooks saddle on my '92 Colorado ll build up. I think I have decided to go with one. Saw one at a local shop, a chain that I do not buy from, it was a B17. Just wanted to feel the weight. Quite a bit heavier but I really want the "look"!
So I guess before I order one is the B17 the way to go?
Thanks!

PM me if you're interested in a NIB black Professional ti-railed Brooks.

Tin Turtle
10-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I just put on a B17. It matched the look I wanted, and I figured it could not hurt any worse than the cheap saddle I was breaking in anyway. After a couple of weeks I can say its fine, break in was not as bad as I thought.

I used Bink's leather conditioner. It is the same stuff I use on the cowboy boots and I have been using it for years. It won't change the color. I put multiple coats on the back before I mounted it, and then I put a couple of coats on the top every night before I am taking it out the next day. Works fine so far.

I also picked up their tool bag to match the color but sent it back. It was too small and the quality was not up to the price tag. Their saddle is a different story, well worth the money.

merckx
10-03-2012, 03:58 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xx2XwzXo_M0/UAdu3u5rj9I/AAAAAAAAAiE/Tq7syR3UOuI/s640/IMG_0063.JPG

I like that orange frame!

oldpotatoe
10-03-2012, 07:38 AM
B17 is very comfy, but a bit too heavy. I have a Ti Swift on one bike and like it. All saddles are very subjective, Brooks even more so.

What he said. There seems to be no middle ground on Brooks. Either they are loved...or not.

I loved the looks of the 3 I attempted, really tried hard, did all the right things in terms of positioning and break-in and I could not do it.

Swallow ti, B-17, TeamPro..at least they were easy to sell.

I certainly wouldn't worry about the weight...even if 250 grams heavier than another saddle, only a teeny fraction of the total weight of bike and rider.

jvp
10-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Be advised that, at least in my experience, that the swallow requires more bolt tension adjustment and monitoring than the other brooks models. I had never had to tweak a tension bolt on my swift or pro equipped bikes, but the swallow I was riding started to sag slightly which required bolt tensioning.

christian
10-03-2012, 07:54 AM
If you're considering a B.17 or a B.17N, I have both taking room up in my parts box. Pay for shipping and I'll send you both to try for a few weeks/months.

Rueda Tropical
10-03-2012, 08:16 AM

The Swift has a rising rear 'wave' shape front to back like an Fizik Alliante, Prologo Scratch or San Marco Regal. The Swallow is much flatter front to back.

I hate the Swallow but love the Swift and similar saddles like the San Marco Regal-e I'm riding now. No matter where you have your bars most cyclists seem to be either in the flat or wave shape camp. If you like one you are unlikely to like the other.

Aaron O
10-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Saddles are not about "the look". Saddles are about "the arse". Ride whatever is most comfortable for you. As far as "the look", a Serotta Colorado II would look good in several directions...I have a black brooks pro on mine and think it looks good. If it didn't feel comfortable, the look wouldn't matter and I'd use what felt good.

R2D2
10-03-2012, 08:51 AM
I've ridden a Swallow long enough I've worn chrome off the rivets.
It is a fine saddle for shorter distances. But the raised rivets eventually irritate. I much prefer the Swift with the broad flush rivets.

Alan
10-03-2012, 08:57 AM
You should ck these out. I have one on my Fierte IT and love it. It is better made than the Brooks and stylish also. You can get from Walllbike w a refund if you don't like it. My only complaint is that the rails are kind of short but it is working for me w a regular setback seat post.

See link below:

http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/berthoud-saddles/berthoud-soulor-steel-race-saddles

It is worth a call to Wallbike.

Alan