PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross Chain Question

gianni
10-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Could be an old thread...

Call me old fashioned but I'm contemplating installing a wippermann Connex with a sram 10 wifli setup. I love the easy connex connector! Am I being ridiculous in that pursuit? Should I just bite the bullet and install a sram chain?

Suggestions, comments and advice are all welcome?

jtakeda
10-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Fwiw the SRAM master link is super easy to get on and off.

redir
10-02-2012, 07:27 AM
The ConneX are the easiest master link to remove IMO. I suppose that could be a bad thing too! :eek:

I'm guessing you want a removable chain on your cross bike for easy cleaning? IMO it's easy enough to clean on the bike so I just lock my chain links together for added piece of mind. Of course I've never broken one in the past myself and have only heard of people braking them. And also on my Mountain bike I've broken chains, not master links, so I don't what I am trying to say. :p

gavingould
10-02-2012, 07:36 AM
I use SRAM chain with Connex master links on my cross and road bikes, no issues. The SRAM 10sp master links aren't supposed to be opened and closed easily, unlike their 8/9sp links. They want you to buy a new one each time you want the chain open.

oldpotatoe
10-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Could be an old thread...

Call me old fashioned but I'm contemplating installing a wippermann Connex with a sram 10 wifli setup. I love the easy connex connector! Am I being ridiculous in that pursuit? Should I just bite the bullet and install a sram chain?

Suggestions, comments and advice are all welcome?

Anecdotally, it seems Wipperman wears cogs faster than other 10s chains. Almost everytime I get a bike with a Wipperman, the cogset is worn out when I change the chain(chain measured worn out.

I would recommend a KMC chain if you want a link. OR a shmano chain using a Wipperman link, which I really like(I have sold hundreds in all flavors).

sram 10s link is adverted by sram as 'one use'...cannot be disconnected and reused.

gianni
10-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks for all the input --now I have to make a decision. The cassette wearing issue is troubling.

redir
10-02-2012, 10:34 AM
sram 10s link is adverted by sram as 'one use'...cannot be disconnected and reused.

What is the point then?