PDA

View Full Version : Completed my longest ride so far

Tin Turtle
10-01-2012, 08:22 PM
I managed to fight my way through the 62 mile leg of the Apple Cider Century on Sunday. I had completed the 50 mile leg of the North Shore Century ride the Sunday before this, but this last one truly kicked my ass. Lots more hills in Michigan, and a decent headwind for about 12 miles. I really, really wanted to see that SAG stop at 50 miles.

It is a milestone for me after only having started riding again in August. Weight is now down to 210, and the blood sugar is fairly solid in the 80s. Plus I just love to ride. This was a great ride, I really could feel at times what it would be like to ride competitively, though I try to enjoy those thoughts early on, because at the end I just want to call an ambulance. :p

The best moment was as I was leaving the last stop for the final 12 miles into the finish. I somehow managed to get behind this woman who had the most amazing seat on her bicycle. I was mesmerized by this truly beautiful piece of -- hardware. I felt the strength come back in my legs and I thought I would just follow her all the way to the end and it would make that time the most enjoyable part of the ride.

All of the sudden some crazy bug flew right inside my glasses. I was sure it was a wasp and I completely freaked out. Yelled "SHEEEET" and put a finger on each side of the nosepiece and yanked for all I was worth. Of course I had put on the sunglasses, then the skullcap, then the helmet and winched it all down tight. The glasses did come off, but only after I had snapped my head forward about 90 degrees and pulled off the tops of both ears.

I looked up and this poor girl was pedalling for all she was worth. I swear she was gone like there was a rocket motor on that bike, and out of sight in 30 seconds. It was funny as hell. :eek:

AngryScientist
10-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Great story. Good for you, and keep up the good work. Its addicting.

MattTuck
10-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Congratulations! I did my first metric earlier this year. Awesome job!

Fiertetimestwo
10-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Congratulations- great stuff! I take it this was on your "new" Atlanta? How did it perform?

Cervelott
10-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Loved where you found your motivation to continue.;)

redir
10-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Good job Tin T, way to git er done.

tiretrax
10-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Great job. However, if I heard someone behind me scream, I think I'd turn to check them out, not sprint away.

It's nice to have good scenery on a long ride, even if it's for a few moments.

MarleyMon
10-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Sounds like a nice ride in beautiful Berrien County; I ride there frequently.
Too bad the apple crop was such a disaster this year.

About that bug - that's one reason some advocate wearing glasses on the outside of the helmet straps. (Mainly so they come off in a crash).

Tin Turtle
10-02-2012, 11:29 AM
The Atlanta is a really great bike. I have the Brooks B17 on there and it fits me well. I am starting to look at what my tires will be next year. Other than that I really don't think there will be any upgrades.

Joachim
10-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Other than that I really don't think there will be any upgrades.

Hang out here long enough and that will change...

soulspinner
10-03-2012, 06:12 AM
hang out here long enough and that will change...

+100

AgilisMerlin
10-03-2012, 06:13 AM
keep pushing :banana:

Fixed
10-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Welcome to the marathon club
Cheers nice job :)

djg
10-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Just keep turning the pedals and having fun. Congrats. I mean, not on the bee, or on scaring that poor woman, but on the riding and the progress.

FlashUNC
10-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Just wait till you have a bee fly into one of your helmet vents. Or your full-zip jersey that's unzipped about halfway because its ridiculously hot.

I'm not ashamed to admit I've screamed like a schoolgirl in both instances.