PDA

View Full Version : brake levers for a single speed cross bike

2wheelwill
10-01-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm in the process of turning my old Redline Conquest cross bike into a single speed for off road riding - unlikely to race it.

Any suggestions for best brake levers to use with my Avid Shorty 4's? Would like something modern (i.e., has brifter size/feel) and relatively cheap.

Thanks.

mcallen
10-01-2012, 04:45 PM
I used some new Shimano ones but they were two skinny. I've since switched to a mustache bar, so I'm not on the hoods in the same way, but I also switched to the Tektro levers like this (http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222372533/743/Tektro-RL340--Ergo-Brake.html?gclid=CLrCmPTk4LICFYw-Mgodn2IAoQ). I like them because not only are they beefier (like an ergo/STI) but they also have a quick release, which I needed for my front mini-V. Oh, and they're cheap.

2wheelwill
10-01-2012, 04:54 PM
thanks for the tektro info. I notice tektro also has a "liner pull" model (the RL520). The description says it's for V-brakes and disc brakes. Any idea if that's a better option for cantilever brakes? More "pull" the better, right???

Thanks!

palincss
10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
"Linear pull" is what they call the V-brake spec, which is different from what cantilever brakes use. You can't mix and match here!

I have a bike with Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers. I use Shimano aero brake levers with it, and the brake feel is simply perfection. Now those levers aren't what you want, because they have fairly short, slender bodies rather than the huge, thick bodies of brifters, but there are several brake levers made for use with dual pivot sidepulls the same as the Shimano aero brake levers, and they should be just as nice with the Shorty 4s.

2wheelwill
10-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the info. But just out of curiosity…how would linear pull levers feel on cantilever brakes. Would it just be shorter travel of the brake lever???

Sounds like Tektro RL340's are the ones for me….and a steal at $18!

palincss
10-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Quoting the Wikipedia: "Because of the higher mechanical advantage of V-brakes, they require brake levers with longer cable travel than levers intended for older types of brakes."

Fixed
10-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I used some new Shimano ones but they were two skinny. I've since switched to a mustache bar, so I'm not on the hoods in the same way, but I also switched to the Tektro levers like this (http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222372533/743/Tektro-RL340--Ergo-Brake.html?gclid=CLrCmPTk4LICFYw-Mgodn2IAoQ). I like them because not only are they beefier (like an ergo/STI) but they also have a quick release, which I needed for my front mini-V. Oh, and they're cheap.

It is what I put on my monster cross s.s.
Works great :)
Cheers

Marburg
10-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Using linear-brake levers with cantis would work poorly, I don't think you'd get the kind of power you'd want from the brakes.

I've used many RL340s because they emulate the previous generation Campy lever shape reasonably well.

There are also the TRP RRLs:

http://www.trpbrakes.com/ppic/6ycmnrgcm7o8894.jpg

Slightly different shape (that emulates the new Campy?)

If you otherwise use SRAM brifters you might like the SRAM units

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/Vk3slzCxTD9OKAqopDts5fmaob5Zeb76iOHwfFr6Jfg/mtime:1329773702/sites/default/files/styles/product_hero/public/images/products/brakes/2012-500_single_speed_brake_lever-no_desc-fr.jpg

I haven't used the latter two but they're on my short list to try next time I feel like something different.

Thanks for the info. But just out of curiosity…how would linear pull levers feel on cantilever brakes. Would it just be shorter travel of the brake lever???

Sounds like Tektro RL340's are the ones for me….and a steal at $18!

christian
10-02-2012, 05:48 AM
I use Tektro RL340s with Paul Neo-Retro/Touring cantilevers on my SSCX bike. They work well.

robin3mj
10-02-2012, 06:52 AM
For CX bikes and other fat-tired bikes, the Tektros are nice because they have a quick release at the lever, allowing easier wheel removal. They also have a return spring for the lever, which the SRAM do not, giving a bit of a snappier feel.