PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Otterbox Defender iPhone Case for Cycling

Uncle Jam's Army
10-01-2012, 10:31 AM
I know we just recently discussed iPhone cases, but that thread did not address a good iPhone case to use while cycling. I've looked at the Otterbox Defender case and it looks stellar. But I am wondering if anyone here uses it to put their iPhone in their jersey pocket and whether it protects the phone from sweat and the occasional light rain. I know that the case is not supposed to be waterproof, but I am hoping the case will at least protect the phone from drenching sweat while I am riding. I am getting tired of having to use a ziplock bag.

TIA!

BCS
10-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Get the Lifeproof case. My kids use it in the pool

Nooch
10-01-2012, 10:35 AM
The defender is freaking huge and doesn't fit comfortably in a jeans pocket, so I scrapped it before riding with it. I can tell you that my otterbox reflex case is great, but with a ziplock bag. I did crack it when I crashed a few months ago, but not all the way through, just a hairline crack.

I was looking into the lifeproof case as the be all and end all to riding without a ziplock bag...

Uncle Jam's Army
10-01-2012, 10:53 AM
The Lifeproof case looks really good, too, but they don't have an iPhone 5 case available yet (just got my iPhone 5 on Friday:)) and no ETA on when they will.

AngryScientist
10-01-2012, 10:58 AM
i have an otter box on my work iPhone. it's just not quite there to just throw in the jersey pocket and forget it, when its really hot, i'll sweat enough to get the moisture behind the screen protector, which sucks.

i've been carrying the soulrun phone case for several months now, through the summer, and it's been perfect. you can use the phone, touchscreen through the front plastic, keeps all moisture out. good product made by one of our own here.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vV7yd7p0_e0/UDe0mBRBkUI/AAAAAAAAFLo/K7GuJtCcDxY/s1600/DSC_2167.jpg

deechee
10-01-2012, 10:59 AM
I have a defender and ridden in the rain with a hole-y ziploc and its fine. I've used the phone in light rain and didn't think twice about it. That said, I'm not a fan of the rubber bumper material. The bottom half gets a bit loose after some time. The commuter model has the same problem.

Debating getting a taktik case next. I drop/throw my phone too much to not have a sturdy case.

Uncle Jam's Army
10-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Nick, I've got the Soulrun iPhone case and wallet and they work really well. But, unfortunately, they won't accommodate the longer iPhone 5. So, until Joe and Laura cook up a new case, I've gotta come up with some other solution for riding with my phone.

djg21
10-01-2012, 11:14 AM
I know we just recently discussed iPhone cases, but that thread did not address a good iPhone case to use while cycling. I've looked at the Otterbox Defender case and it looks stellar. But I am wondering if anyone here uses it to put their iPhone in their jersey pocket and whether it protects the phone from sweat and the occasional light rain. I know that the case is not supposed to be waterproof, but I am hoping the case will at least protect the phone from drenching sweat while I am riding. I am getting tired of having to use a ziplock bag.

TIA!

My iPhone has not been outside of my Defender case since the moment I purchased it. I ripped the outercasing of on the upper left-hand corner from my constant use of the headphone flap (my fault), and Otterbox sent me a replacement, almost one year later, no questions asked. The Defender is not entirely waterproof, but is is sufficiently water resistant for cycling. I've been out in moderate rain without an issue. It's a good case.

Birddog
10-01-2012, 12:26 PM
I use a Defender as I work in construction and my phone hits the concrete about once a week. The case works pretty well when I forget to throw it in a Zip lock while cycling, but actually putting it in a baggie makes it easier to retrieve from my pocket. I don't bother to zip the zip lock either.

Tin Turtle
10-01-2012, 07:51 PM
I have had an Otterbox on my iPhone since 2009. It is used on every bike ride, and I purchased a special arm band case that will fit the Otterbox without removing the iPhone everytime I ride. However I am getting away from using the iPhone for anything other than communication or emergency location. Battery life is not great for trip recording, and once the battery is dead you are alone on the road.

93legendti
10-01-2012, 08:22 PM
I use the Otterbox and put it in an unsealed Loksak. In the fall and winter, I prefer a Topeak bar mounted case, so I don't have to fish the phone out of my pocket with long fingered gloves when it rings.

malcolm
10-01-2012, 08:43 PM
If they become available for the iphone 5, I highly recommend the life proof case. Smaller than the otter box and water proof. I have one on the 4s and it has worked flawlessly. I would never go back to the otter box

KF9YR
10-02-2012, 12:50 PM
I have both the Lifeproof and Otterbox Defender.

I gave the Otterbox to my son and used the Lifeproof as it was smaller and very sweat resistant. I don't use a belt clip, I like to put my phone in my front pocket so the Lifeproof case is much more comfortable.

I gave the iPhone 4 / Lifeproof case to my mother and bought the iPhone 5. For now I use the Otterbox for iPhone 5 (in a baggie when I'm riding) but will purchase the Lifeproof case when available.

Fixed
10-02-2012, 01:57 PM

TIA!

I have one I like it fine it hooks on my belt it ,take it off the belt clip and it would fit comfy in the center pocket of your jersey .Also if you drop it , it is protected in a rubber case rain is fine
Cheers IMHO

crownjewelwl
10-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Nick, I've got the Soulrun iPhone case and wallet and they work really well. But, unfortunately, they won't accommodate the longer iPhone 5. So, until Joe and Laura cook up a new case, I've gotta come up with some other solution for riding with my phone.

the newer soulrun wallets fit my ginormous samsung galaxy nexus...so iphone 5 shouldn't be a problem!

xjoex
10-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the nice words guys! I think the iPhone 5 should fit without a problem. But if you want to double up and use an otterbox and one of our wallets, the fit is too tight to use them simultaneously.

And we have some in the shop now too: http://www.etsy.com/shop/soulrun
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/421233_409529065767425_1931041937_n.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Joe