PDA

View Full Version : Holy Smoly! $6995 for a frame!

victork
10-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Mei Vici...The first truly custom, full carbon fiber bicycle a mere $6995 for the frame only.

I am very curious to know how someone would articulate the difference between this frame and a Calfee, Parlee or an all carbon Colnago, or Merck.

djg
10-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Mei Vici...The first truly custom, full carbon fiber bicycle a mere $6995 for the frame only.

I am very curious to know how someone would articulate the difference between this frame and a Calfee, Parlee or an all carbon Colnago, or Merck.

Merck is a drug company. Besides recent stock issues, they are worth quite a bit more than seven thousand dollars.

Wait six months and you'll see people articulating all kinds of things about the Meivici.

victork
10-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Their Carbon MXM looks cool. Not as nice as the Mei Vici though.

eddief
10-08-2005, 08:59 PM
and performance you have to pay quite a bit more for it. Sometimes you don't. As BBDave said, been here done that.

BumbleBeeDave
10-08-2005, 09:12 PM
. . . for many reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the frame, though I’m sure it IS a stellar frame.

This issue has already been hashed, rehashed, and pulled out of the fridge to be re-hashed yet again. Do a search . . .

BBDave

jpw
10-09-2005, 02:32 AM
:beer: . . . for many reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the frame, though I’m sure it IS a stellar frame.

This issue has already been hashed, rehashed, and pulled out of the fridge to be re-hashed yet again. Do a search . . .

BBDave

...out of the fridge, through the dicer and slicer, the blender, the washing machine, the concrete mixer...and has anyone actually thrown a leg over it yet? :beer:

victoryfactory
10-09-2005, 06:58 AM
I think what you are paying for here is a startup carbon frame that was
created and will be produced in the USA by a small company with limited
resources for developement and a limited time frame to profitability, therefore
we will have to pay extra for a product developed and manufactured in that
environment.

The upside is you get a custom frame, you get the Serotta design,
a "statement" bike.
Is it worth it? do you want to make that "statement"?
I guess Serotta believes that there are enough well heeled dentists and
doctors out there to finance their business model. Time will tell.
I still support Serotta, but I will have to think long and hard before
I go with a 7K bike frame. On the other hand,
WHY DO PEOPLE ASSUME THAT THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO AFFORD THIS FRAME ANYWAY?
If you don't like the price, no one is forcing you to buy.
Yo! they still make the Concours, Fierte, CIII, etc. If you really need to go
with a cheaper carbon, get a Look, Colnago, Trek, etc

They have almost surely gone beyond my ability to participate in their
experiment, I guess I'll stay with what I've got.

VF, no hard feelings

Dave
10-09-2005, 05:24 PM
and the manufacturer's can write enough BS to convince some of them to pay that much for a frame.

dave thompson
10-09-2005, 05:32 PM
and the manufacturer's can write enough BS to convince some of them to pay that much for a frame.
Dave: Respectfully, I have to say that I kind of resent your remarks. I understand that you are entitled to your opinion, but what you've said makes anyone that considers buying a MeiVici look an idiot.

Perhaps you can rephrase your sentence.

Serotta PETE
10-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Hey gang, while this frame might not be for each of us, lets not belittle those who want one.

If it is too expensive for the market, then the sales will reflect that. It folks do not see the value (to them) they do not have to buy. But please lets not cast stones and insults at others...

Thanks...

Now for a glass of my ole vine ZIN :beer: Stop on by and have a glass with me------PETE

Dave
10-09-2005, 06:05 PM
My remarks do not make anyone considering the purchase of this frame "look like an idiot". Rich perhaps, but not an idiot. If you have enough money, $7K is pocket change.

When other brands can sell top-of-the-line frames for 1/2 the price or less, a $7K frame seems outrageous to me. I'm a mechanical engineer, so I'm not stupid. I could easily pay cash for one of these frames but I'm certainly not going to, because a 135 pound rider just doesn't need it to ride fast and comfortably.

SoCalSteve
10-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Who does need it (if not a 135 pound person)?

Thanks,

Steve

Sandy
10-09-2005, 08:22 PM
1. No one needs it to be fast and/or comfortable.
2. No one needs it at all.
3. Someone may want to buy it, and that is his or her choice, for whatever reason.
4. Someone may not want to buy it, and that is his or her choice, for whatever reason.
5. A person is not an idiot if he or she does not buy one.
6. A person is not an idiot if he or she does buy one.

What motivates a person to buy or not to buy an item is a function of a myriad of different forces, which is totally unique to that given individual.

It's real simple- Each person makes his or her choice and deserves the respect for whatever that choice is.

Enjoy your ride, whatever it is.

Sandy

Tmogul
10-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Hey there are other frames competing in this price range....if you need help justifying the price...... ;)

This one is $6500 just for the frame. (colibri)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tech/shows/interbike05/interbike056/temple-cycles-colibri.jpg

And let's not forget BMC's new to the public TT frame..$9300+

http://www.bmc-racing.com/bikes.cfm?lang=eng&catID=4&modID=32

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tech/shows/interbike05/interbike0513/L1000503s.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
10-09-2005, 08:58 PM
. . . breaks absolutely no new ground in terms of market strategy of price point. The realm of expensive toys has had no shortage of products to offer for hundreds, if not thousands of years. Go look at the knick-knacks they hauled out of King Tut’s tomb and you’ll see a whole pile o’ stuff that was nothing more than gold plated schwag--no practical value for day-to-day life whatsoever.

I am certainly jealous of anyone who can drop “pocket change” on this bike, but I don’t think they’re idiots. I would buy one if I could, but I can’t, and there are far more important things for me to worry about than the mental acuities of the typical Meivici customer.

Let’s move on, people. This one has been done to death many times over . . . :argue:

BBDave