PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

SoCalSteve
10-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Pegoretti Love # 3 $2450.00
Custom Geometry $300.00
Total: $2750.00

$2750.00 for an aluminum bike and Ouzo Pro fork...

Thats big $$$ for beer can material.

Opinions, thoughts, comments, etc welcomed as I really don't know what to do.

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

PS: I have a Ti bike: Hor Categorie, I have a steel bike: CSI, I have a mixed bike: Ottrott........... a Parlee is a minimum of $3600.00 for a custom geometry Z3x. I need custom as I need a minimum 60 cm top tube. Very few companies (and no Euro companies) do anything longer than 58.5-59.0.

Too Tall
10-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Please, the spare mojo that flakes off any of Dario's bikes is worth that ;) Seriously, yes it is worth it. Awesome bike.

Climb01742
10-08-2005, 04:10 PM
steve, dario's alu is to other alu what rembrant or van gogh or monet (not to be confused with manet, who was good but no monet) are to the guy who paints your house. this isn't a beer can. please, trust me. dario has all his tubing specially made. he works closely with columbus now to have the tubes perform just as he wishes. then there's the mojo of his designs. and finally how the frames are painted. is a sachs just a bunch of steel? is a spectrum just a bunch of ti? a pegoretti is truly something special. dario works in alu not because it's something cheap to use. it's because it's a material that can perform in certain ways. do things he wants it to do. he worked hard to push the performance and ride of his new alu. reading his e-mails of months ago, i felt...here is a guy who really loves bikes, who is really struggling to make them ride better, who is chasing his own standards of what a bike can be...he isn't chasing a buck, as so many in the biz seem to be...he's chasing making a bike better. he's not alone in that, but i get the sense that even though he's been building bikes for a long time, his passion, his drive, his persistence hasn't wavered. THAT's what you're buying. only you can say whether, for you, it's worth it. but his bikes are special, in the great tradition of a smaller builder chasing his own vision.

Serotta PETE
10-08-2005, 05:47 PM
It is worth it - - - Of course!!!!

My sister spends almost that much on smokes every year (and this does not include the doctor's bills for respitory illness about three times/year.)

Been trying for 30 years to get her to take up biking instead of smoking. I have been 100% unsuccessful!!!

:beer:

Fixed
10-08-2005, 06:43 PM
bro if you have to ask then no, it won't make you any faster, if you can afford it then get it .they are the in bike now. i.m.h.o. I'd buy from e richie if I'd had the bread. and I hate carbon forks since my F1 broke this week .cheers :beer:

Fixed
10-08-2005, 06:54 PM
steve, dario's alu is to other alu what rembrant or van gogh or monet (not to be confused with manet, who was good but no monet) are to the guy who paints your house. this isn't a beer can. please, trust me. dario has all his tubing specially made. he works closely with columbus now to have the tubes perform just as he wishes. then there's the mojo of his designs. and finally how the frames are painted. is a sachs just a bunch of steel? is a spectrum just a bunch of ti? a pegoretti is truly something special. dario works in alu not because it's something cheap to use. it's because it's a material that can perform in certain ways. do things he wants it to do. he worked hard to push the performance and ride of his new alu. reading his e-mails of months ago, i felt...here is a guy who really loves bikes, who is really struggling to make them ride better, who is chasing his own standards of what a bike can be...he isn't chasing a buck, as so many in the biz seem to be...he's chasing making a bike better. he's not alone in that, but i get the sense that even though he's been building bikes for a long time, his passion, his drive, his persistence hasn't wavered. THAT's what you're buying. only you can say whether, for you, it's worth it. but his bikes are special, in the great tradition of a smaller builder chasing his own vision.bro In my opinion Manet is the better of the two since afterall he is the one that ushered in Modernism in his painting Le Dejeuner sur l'herbe (Luncheon on the Grass) - permitting artists like Monet to break from traditionalism and do whatever the hell they creatively pleased. cheers :beer:

Climb01742
10-08-2005, 07:28 PM
bro In my opinion Manet is the better of the two since afterall he is the one that ushered in Modernism in his painting Le Dejeuner sur l'herbe (Luncheon on the Grass) - permitting artists like Monet to break from traditionalism and do whatever the hell they creatively pleased. cheers :beer:

for a bike messenger, you sure know your 19th century french painters. you are quite right the manet was one of the folks who began the break with the formalism of the past and the tyranny of the academy. my 2 cents, though, is that manet never went down the road he helped discover far enough. he was in all respects a father figure, and nutured others, but he let his "children" go further. i don't have the sense he was completely comfortable with where the impressionist took things. manet never quite seemed to let go of formalism completely. he loosened the straps but never shook them off completely. he ushered in new subject matters, as you right point out, but stylistically he wasn't so adventureous. by hey, i'm just a guy who took a few art history courses once and spent some long afternoons in the met, the tate and whatever that museum in paris is called that once was a train station. :beer:

Fixed
10-08-2005, 07:33 PM
bro the main thing is the love of art .i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

djg
10-08-2005, 07:43 PM
For some it's an obscenity, for others a pittance.

A good friend rides a Marcello (and occasionally races it)--his typical race bike is a Pegoretti 8:30 AM--he really likes the 8:30 and it's quite a bit less expensive than the Marcello, so he doesn't worry quite so much about folding it in a crash (like his first Marcello). If you're looking for raceworthy aluminum, you can get it a whole lot cheaper than a custom Pegoretti Love. If you want raceworthy aluminum AND want Pegoretti's design and torch, you can still spend quite a bit less than the freight on a Love. If you want a Love, you want it--who is to say it isn't worth it?

taz-t
10-08-2005, 07:46 PM
by hey, i'm just a guy who took a few art history courses once and spent some long afternoons in the met, the tate and whatever that museum in paris is called that once was a train station. :beer:

Musee d'Orsay and Manet's Olympia is worth the price of admission (including the plane ticket). Much better than standing in line at the Louvre. I was about to argue Fixed's point until I remembered this...

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/M/manet/manet_olympia.jpg.html

Taz in ATL

Climb01742
10-09-2005, 03:52 AM
taz-t, a wonderful example. the subject matter (for the time) was daring, particularly her gaze, right into the viewer's eye, with no pretense of modesty. freedom of subject matter is, i think, manet's real contribution. stylistically, olympia is still a rather formal presentation, and manet's brushstrokes are beautiful...just not as revolutionary as what was to follow. also, you can't short-change manet's psychological support of the younger impressionists. he was certainly an important figure, but a transitional one, i believe.

now, don't even get me started on dutch painters and their handling of light... :beer:

stackie
10-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Everything I learned about art history I learned from Pierson's recent work, But I Digress, a Coyote's View of Art History. You're putting me to shame.

Jon

Dr. Doofus
10-09-2005, 05:53 PM
that's a hot chick

slowgoing
10-09-2005, 06:53 PM
The real question is whether a love is worth $2450.00. If it is, you should be happy to pay the custom upcharge because otherwise it won't fit you and the frame wouldn't really be on your radar screen. Consider yourself lucky that Peg offers custom in its aluminum frames - I don't think that's too common for aluminum.

SoCalSteve
10-09-2005, 07:45 PM
I cant think of any bike manufacture that does custom in Europe except Mondonico....and Ive heard he is retiring. Maybe Merxcks will do it, not sure. But, yeah....having a Peg in my size is definetly a big bonus and reason to go that route!

All this talk about art is making me hungry, think I'll go have a corn dog!

Steve