PDA

View Full Version : Paint problems with my Ottrot

Nick H.
10-08-2005, 01:24 PM
I've only done about 40 miles on my new Ottrot, but so far it's got about 10 paint chips, all of them on the titanium tubes. I haven't dropped it or anything - the chips just keep appearing. Am I just riding over too many stones? Or is there something wrong with the paint's adhesion to the titanium?

eddief
10-08-2005, 01:36 PM
and call Serotta and have a nice calm, collabortive, discussion and give them a chance to provide some excellent advice andor customer service.

Serotta PETE
10-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Ask for Steve when you call. Another suggestion is to drop by the dealer you bought it from also.

While I have never heard of an adhesion problem, there is always a first. I have gotten chips over the miles but not that many in that few miles.

Good luck - and don't forget to get some touchup paint sent to you.

PETE

Nick H.
10-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I know I should talk to Serotta first - I emailed them yesterday so I shouldn't expect a reply until Monday - I'm just SO frustrated that I'm letting off a little steam in here. Every time I look at the damn thing I see another chip.

CNY rider
10-08-2005, 03:13 PM
I've only done about 40 miles on my new Ottrot, but so far it's got about 10 paint chips, all of them on the titanium tubes. I haven't dropped it or anything - the chips just keep appearing. Am I just riding over too many stones? Or is there something wrong with the paint's adhesion to the titanium?

I have a fully painted Legend that I've been riding for over a year. There's a single chip on one of the chainstays, and I still remember the sickening thud of the rock I kicked up that made that ding. Other than that, despite riding on chip seal and some other prehistoric road surfaces, there are no chips. Something's not right with yours, unless you're riding in a hailstorm!

OilyFish
10-08-2005, 03:22 PM
If you plan on doing round the world - the paint dings may be the least of your worries.

:beer:

Sandy
10-08-2005, 03:23 PM

What tubes and where on the tubes (st,ht,cs), may I ask. I would certainly guess that the problem is with the paint. Are the carbon tubes painted?

Painting by numbers,

Sandy

Doc Austin
10-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Every time I look at the damn thing I see another chip.

While I can't speak for them, my guess is that Serotta will take care of it.

Idris Icabod
10-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Nick,
I read your blog and you probably want to ghetto up the bike a little bit prior to setting off around the world, I would recommend taking an orbital sander to all your tubes. You don't want to have a nice freshly painted bike stolen by some dodgy bedouin in the middle of the Sahara and have to complete your trip on foot. I won't say that you are barking because that has been said many times before, but I think you are mad as a snake.
Anyway, paint chips suck. If you make it as far as Arizona, USA then drop in at my gaff. As a fellow Brit I wish you luck and if possible could you possibly bring me a jar of Bovril.
All the best,
Idris

Argos
10-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Didn't you say in a prior post that you ride on a lot of crappy roads. back roads, etc...

I would imagine a looser road would throw up more stuff.

eddief
10-08-2005, 06:48 PM
don't get me wrong, the first day with my custom painted Steve Rex I whacked against the porch by accident and it was severely nicked before I ever got on it. Good luck.

Nick H.
10-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Roger that. Where in Arizona?

It might have to be a very small jar.

Serpico
10-08-2005, 06:56 PM
looked at your link--fantastic bike

good luck on your travels

Idris Icabod
10-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Nick,
Tucson, AZ. You may want to time your passage through these states to avoid June-September. I rode 120 miles once when the temp. reached 115 degrees Fahrenheit and I got so dehygrated that I was laid up for a couple of weeks. Mad dogs...

Fixed
10-08-2005, 07:08 PM
If you plan on doing round the world - the paint dings may be the least of your worries.

:beer: yeah bro what ofish said.cheers :beer:

scrooge
10-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Just checked out your website--looks interesting (to say the least). Do you have a route planned/posted?