PDA

View Full Version : Question about replacing spokes on tubular wheelset...

bismo37
09-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Kinda dumb question, but here goes...

I have a 32h tubular wheelset with HED C2 Belgium rims, Record hubs and the biggest, fattest spokes known to mankind. I just glued on Conti Comp 22mm. I bought the wheelset thinking it'd be bombproof.

Can I replace the straight gauge spokes with DT Comps without removing the freshly glued tubies? Okay to use the existing nips? This wheelset is overbuilt for my needs.

The 32h straight gauge spokes are way too rigid. Bumpy roads, I feel like I might get ejected from the saddle. I know I can soften things up with 25 mm tubies and lower pressure but I'd hate to pull new tubies.

Gummee
09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Short answer: maybe

Longer answer: it'll make things MUCH easier if you take the tire(s) off.

...and on another note: I'm no expert, but I don't think that re-doing the spokes is going to give you what you're looking for. Maybe a titch more cush, but steel spokes are steel spokes.

If you want something that rides softer get some Ambrosio Nemesis rims (or other box-section rims) and ditch the 'aero' profile of the Heds.

First step tho is to reduce air pressure in your tires. That'll give you the biggest bang ride-wise for the smallest buck.

M

Peter P.
09-30-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm with Gummee on this one.

It can be done and likely without a lot of aggravation. If you managed to drip some rim cement into the spoke holes it will hold the nipple in place just enough to thread on a new spoke. If it retracts to deeply into the hole, you'll have to fish it back out by trying to thread on a spoke which isn't inserted into the hub. If you have to, maybe you can tack the nipples in place with some tube patching glue.

I would suggest you use the same brand spokes because some brands use rolled threads and some use cut threads. There's a diameter difference at the O.D. of the threads. Also, the threaded end of the replacement spokes has to be the same gauge as the original spokes, limiting your choices further.

Go ahead and experiment with it using the suggestions above but like Gummee said, I don't think it'll make much difference. As you already know, fatter tires at lower pressures or even the existing tires at lower pressure are the best solution.

Gummee
09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
More thoughts: So I'd built this wheelset for myself. Both wheels were Open SUP CD on 600 hubs with the front being 14/17 butted DTs and the rear 14/15 butted DTs.

The font felt great JRA but the minute I stood up to either sprint on it or climb a hill, I got rubbing on the brake pads. Nothing out of the ordinary from the back.

So I swapped the front spokes out for some 14/15 DTs. Still felt the same JRA but I didn't get any more rubbing on the brake pads standing.

I didn't feel any difference JRA in the front vs the back when the spokes were lighter guage. Big hits pretty much always feel like big hits.

This is my experience. YMMV

M

lhuerta
09-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Jra?

Ymmv?

cp43
09-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Jra?

Ymmv?

JRA = Just Riding Around

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Chris

bismo37
09-30-2012, 09:56 PM
It's probably the 22mm tubies... I have set of clincher C2s, DB spokes, Record hubs with 23 mm tires and they ride great. I'll try lower pressure on the 22mm tubies and see how it goes. Ride them until they die and get 25mm Veloflex instead.

I have a set of Nemesis/DA with 27mm Paves. Very nice ride.

ultraman6970
09-30-2012, 10:51 PM
If the nipple is ok, yes you can do that w/o any problem. Actually thats the only way to do it if you dont want to remove the tubular.

If by any chance the threads of the nipple does not match the spoke then what you can do is to just unglue a section of the tubular, just enough to take off and put in the new nipple in place. Put new glue in that area and done, not going to tell you that if you do it cleverly enough probably u dont even need to put glue in there, but thats just me ok?

If the wheel is not that bad and you can live probably with a tiny hop due to the broken spoke, then you are kind'a ok. If you are anal about it and the wheel needs to be 100% true then you are better taking the tubular off the rim, install the new spoke and retrue the wheel to perfection and glue the tubular back in.

Good luck.

Louis
09-30-2012, 11:03 PM
What pressure do you have in the tires? Assuming you're not a Clydesdale, anything above 90 psi is probably overkill.

fogrider
10-01-2012, 12:07 AM
What pressure do you have in the tires? Assuming you're not a Clydesdale, anything above 90 psi is probably overkill.

that's the great thing about tubies, they ride great with lower psi.

bismo37
10-01-2012, 12:50 AM
I typically ride clincher 23s at 105psi. So, I'll try to go lower with the tubies.

oldpotatoe
10-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Kinda dumb question, but here goes...

I have a 32h tubular wheelset with HED C2 Belgium rims, Record hubs and the biggest, fattest spokes known to mankind. I just glued on Conti Comp 22mm. I bought the wheelset thinking it'd be bombproof.

Can I replace the straight gauge spokes with DT Comps without removing the freshly glued tubies? Okay to use the existing nips? This wheelset is overbuilt for my needs.

The 32h straight gauge spokes are way too rigid. Bumpy roads, I feel like I might get ejected from the saddle. I know I can soften things up with 25 mm tubies and lower pressure but I'd hate to pull new tubies.

Ya mean like these?

I think they are 12 gauge..

Use less air or a more supple tubular. Vittoria is going to make a 290tpi in 25 soon, use with 95psi.

Buying a bunch of expensive spokes and going thru the hoo-ra of rebuilding, not worth it, IMHO.

mister
10-01-2012, 09:05 AM
you're gonna need to take the tire off to get the wheel nice and round after you swap the spokes
out of round wheel is annoying

use less air pressure in the tire