PDA

View Full Version : OT - Q for those with power chewing dogs

1centaur
09-30-2012, 11:57 AM
We can put a man on the moon, but we can't create a dog toy that chews softer than the hardest Kong rubber toys that won't get pulled apart and swallowed by powerful chewers with sharp teeth (in my case, a young Doberman)?

My semi-puppy LOVES fabric, squeaky toys, and "rubber" bones with a decent amount of squeeze to them, but starts to dismantle all within a couple of hours. Any Paceline members with similar dogs who almost gave up and then found something that has the right combo of flexibility and durability so that owners don't have to monitor the dog constantly (as all the labels say)???

And while we're at it, the same for crate mats? All the ultimately durable mats have on-line comments with anecdotes of dogs that chewed them up within hours. Swell on the guarantee, but I'd rather not have the event. Given the 100% record on toys, I'm pretty sure the same would happen with crate mats. What the heck are scientists up to that they can't invent this stuff?

djg21
09-30-2012, 12:02 PM
We can put a man on the moon, but we can't create a dog toy that chews softer than the hardest Kong rubber toys that won't get pulled apart and swallowed by powerful chewers with sharp teeth (in my case, a young Doberman)?

My semi-puppy LOVES fabric, squeaky toys, and "rubber" bones with a decent amount of squeeze to them, but starts to dismantle all within a couple of hours. Any Paceline members with similar dogs who almost gave up and then found something that has the right combo of flexibility and durability so that owners don't have to monitor the dog constantly (as all the labels say)???

And while we're at it, the same for crate mats? All the ultimately durable mats have on-line comments with anecdotes of dogs that chewed them up within hours. Swell on the guarantee, but I'd rather not have the event. Given the 100% record on toys, I'm pretty sure the same would happen with crate mats. What the heck are scientists up to that they can't invent this stuff?

My dogs like to tear apart soft toys to get to the plastic squeakers. The only things that typically last are the kongs. Mine like the kongs tails.

Watch out for grate mats. The Veterinarian in my family frequently sees young dogs with bowel obstructions resulting from ingested crate mat material. I wouldn't use a mat when my dogs were being crate trained.

EricEstlund
09-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Two pieces of advise-

Nylabones, and get used to replacing toys frequently. My lab/ rot mix could break rocks when he was a pup, and had to be taught that rapidly destroying a toy was not allowed. He's older (7) and mellower now, and takes a little more time to destroy toys.

If you do want plush type toys, go get a package or replacement squeakers and dust off the sewing machine. We'd start with medium sized toys and re-sew/ re-squeak them until they were only a patch of fuzz on a sound box.

chwupper
09-30-2012, 12:30 PM
We used to do Nylabones for our monster pit bull:

http://www.nylabone.com/product-finder/my-pet-is/dog-large/double-action-chew.htm

It would take her a good couple of weeks to go through those. Kongs and other semi-soft things she could destroy in half an hour.

These days we use actual (dried) bones. Wood floors are the worse for wear. Sometimes we give her deer antlers, too. But those are freakin' expensive and, if they have lots of marrow in them, she will chew non-stop till we take them away.

CaptStash
09-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Two pieces of advise-

Nylabones, and get used to replacing toys frequently. box.

Ummm, maybe not so much. With our first Airedale (a lot of years ago!) we got a Nylabone which she destroyed ins about ten minutes. When we brought the pieces back to the LPS (pet shops are like bike shops and book stores, support your local independent) the owner laughed and said they were fine for normal dogs, but not AIREDALES!

The torn apart Nylabone can be very bad for your dog. We have had the best luck with Kongs, as mentioned earlier. Try filling a Kong with peanut butter and little dog bones. we usually have a couple ready to go stored in the freezer.

Our experience is that the Kong hard rubber products have been the only ones really capable of surviving the giant Airedale teeth and jaws of death.

For the crate mats, we just used old bath mats and folded up blankets. Works fine and are easy to wash out. they also seem to be less interesting to chew and shred for the puppies.

lovebird
09-30-2012, 01:06 PM
My Portuguese Water Dog has been an incorrigible chewer his entire life. Any and every toy was destroyed literally within minutes. Finally, we just started giving him sticks and logs. He pulverizes and eats them, along with anything else he can find. We used to worry that eating wood, pencils, socks, stuffed animals, etc. would cause him health problems. But at 10 years old, he's still going strong - never once a problem with either end of his digestive tract. We've given up trying to reform him....

Best of luck with your puppy! Sorry I can't be much help, but like I said logs and thick sticks seem to make our boy happy.

EricEstlund
09-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Nylabones die- just like everything else. With my dog, they usually grind down into smaller pieces that he seems less interested in swallowing. The Kong toys that were strong enough for him to chew on were usually bigger then he was interested in. Fickle monster, really.

Edit- the best chew toy was to take him backcountry skiing for 4 hours. A passed out dog is less likely to eat toys.

bismo37
09-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Maybe try these:

http://www.goughnuts.com/

Made in the USA, replacement is reduced cost, different densities for strong chewers. Probably won't break teeth.

I usually steer away from the very firm/hard chew toys as some strong chewers can break their carnassial teeth on them (the big upper chewing teeth.) I usually recommend things like the Kong or GoNoughts that have some "give". A veterinary dentist I know has a bag of chew toys and treats that she carries around to show clients what not to use because of the risk of fracturing teeth.

And just since we're talking about chewing dogs, lots of jerky treats are causing serious illness in dogs: https://www.avma.org/News/Issues/recalls-alerts/Pages/Safety-Alert-on-Jerky-Treats-for-Pets.aspx

false_Aest
09-30-2012, 01:23 PM
brah,

we had a dalmation-pitt. best effin dog ever... even if he was a little kooky-- would come running and drool at your feet when you cracked open a beer and ate all the jalapenos off of the plants in the back yard.

he'd destroy his chew toys until a vet suggested that he was doing this because he was bored.

seemed like 20% more diversion led to 100% increase in toy life.

Fixed
09-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Dogs need a lot more exercise than we think ,they can run for miles and miles
It is what they like to do more than anything next thing they like, is to be with their owners .dog = perfect companion IMHO
Cheers :)

krhea
09-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Elk and Deer antlers. Period. 100% natural, tough, odor-free, last a good long time, provide some good nutrients and dogs love them.

Also, give your dog a couple "chew times" per day. Once trained they're good to go and can't wait for the antler and in between times they're good. Of course it only works if you're willing to spend a bit of time training the dog. If not, toss them an antler and let'em go to town.

The only drawback to antlers is the cost, they're not cheap. I always tell myself to order bulk online, then forget and have to visit our local "healthy" dog emporium and spend way to much for one bone.

Give'em a try. Lots of info online about the benefits.

KRhea

Tandem Rider
09-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Our dane just turned 2 recently. Still quite the chewer but chewing "bad" things is mostly from boredom now. We have the best luck with raw beef bones like you get from a leg. They look like a cylinder when he gets the marrow out, we just stick some peanut butter in later, work it into the nooks and crannies, he will go to town again with it. Cooked bones like this last about 10 minutes before they are gone completely, so give him raw (also better for him). The ones we give are about 2 to 4 inches long, recycling with peanut butter they last a month or so and he usually has about a half dozen in various stages of consumption. Hit up the butcher, see what he has cheap.
Good Luck, keep trying different things until you hit the magic combo, it is worth it, your pup will love it.