PDA

View Full Version : Fizik cleat setback

merckx
09-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Does anyone know how far back the cleat holes are on the Fizik (R1/R3) shoes relative to Sidi and Giro shoes?

AngryScientist
09-30-2012, 09:08 AM
that would have to depend on the shoe size and what you use as a reference point to define setback, no?

gone
09-30-2012, 09:29 AM
that would have to depend on the shoe size and what you use as a reference point to define setback, no?
Although it does depend on shoe size somewhat, the reference point for setback is generally measured from the center of the first metatarsal head (the protruding bone on the inside of your foot behind your big toe).

merckx
09-30-2012, 04:58 PM

Relative to the same size Sidi or Giro. You are smart enough to understand the question, no?

RedRider
09-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Tough crowd tonight... The Sidi and Fizik have different lasts and very different insoles which will place the foot in slightly different positions. If you take the cleat position, by dimension, from one brand to the next, you will probably get it wrong. You should look at your foot position in each shoe for proper cleat placement. Feel free to call me at the Serotta Fit Lab 518-584-8100 X 213 Best, Steven

AngryScientist
09-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Relative to the same size Sidi or Giro. You are smart enough to understand the question, no?

hey, i'm not a cleat fit expert, so i asked a question because i genuinely dont know the answer, and you pull a low blow. not cool imo.

gone
09-30-2012, 08:21 PM
I'll add a small amount of information to the discourse which unfortunately doesn't answer the OP's question.

One would think that for a given size and pedal system that positioning the cleats in the same place would result in the same foot position relative to the pedal spindle. One would be wrong and I've got the repetitive strain injury to prove it :mad:

The key measurement (which the OP is asking for) is the distance from the front bolt hole in the sole to the first metatarsal head. Whenever I try a pair of cycling shoes I always take a set of calipers and masking tape with me to try them on. I put a piece of masking tape on the edge of the sole, make a mark aligned with the center of the first metatarsal head and then measure from there to the front bolt hole. Although this doesn't tell me where my foot will be relative to the pedal spindle, it does tell me how far back that particular set of shoes will allow the cleat to be positioned relative to my reference shoes.

What the OP needs is someone who owns both Fizik and Sidi shoes to do the measurement described above. That'd answer the question he's asked.