PDA

View Full Version : BikesDirect ??

Ti_on_Steel
09-29-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm looking to buy a New York City commuter, lock outside, all weather bike. Any one ever ridden one of these?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/oxford.htm

3 speed internal is fine for NYC (riding fixed now), and at $300 if it gets stolen I won't be too upset. Are these total junk or ridable?

This is the one I really want, but I think it's just too much money for a lock outside bike.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame/2012-civilian-bicycle-co--corduroy-rebel--10920.html

CDollarsign
09-29-2012, 05:13 PM
I think that particular one is kind of stylized junk, but if your looking for a cheap bike your not invested in financially and emotionally I say go for it. I have friends with kilo TT's from bikes direct that they just bought for Junkers and they love them...

sevencyclist
09-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Saw these recently and rode pretty well. However, double of your price though.

http://www.linusbike.com/models/roadster-sport/

lzuk
09-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Bikes Direct offer great values if they have the size you want. You would have to assemble part of the bike and adjust it. I purchased a Ti bike with high end components and felt the need to torque and lube the factory assembled parts. I don't know the hoops one would have to jump thru for warranty.Still they offer new bikes cheaper than some used similar name brand bikes.

bikinchris
09-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Here, this will confuse you even more:

http://cremecycles.com/index.php

Looks like your local shop can get one through Merry Sales.

4Rings6Stars
09-29-2012, 06:45 PM
I bought a bikes direct Mercier Kilo as a junker and was very impressed with the quality.

However that Windsor does look a little junky. Save 100 bucks and buy a Raleigh Sports 3 speed off Craigslist....

christian
09-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Save 100 bucks and buy a Raleigh Sports 3 speed off Craigslist....You are unfamiliar with the NYC used bike market. Horrible, worn-out, off-brand (i.e. not Raleigh, Rudge, BSA, Hercules) 3-speeds go for crazy money. $300 for a good mid-sixties Raleigh would be a bargain in Bklyn.

ewwhite
09-29-2012, 07:32 PM
You are unfamiliar with the NYC used bike market. Horrible, worn-out, off-brand (i.e. not Raleigh, Rudge, BSA, Hercules) 3-speeds go for crazy money. $300 for a good mid-sixties Raleigh would be a bargain in Bklyn.

Why are market prices so high?

To the OP, check Linus. Also see this:
http://www.jensonusa.com/Retrospec-Siddhartha-Cruiser

4Rings6Stars
09-29-2012, 09:36 PM
You are unfamiliar with the NYC used bike market. Horrible, worn-out, off-brand (i.e. not Raleigh, Rudge, BSA, Hercules) 3-speeds go for crazy money. $300 for a good mid-sixties Raleigh would be a bargain in Bklyn.

Way back when I was in college (actually just graduated this year) I supplemented my income by flipping/rehabbing old used bikes on Craigslist in Boston.

Boston prices are coming back down towards reality it seems, but even a few years ago when they were through the roof you could pick up a tired old Sports (usually sans Brooks) for $100-150. Seems most people are after drop bars in the 100-300 used bike range. I think I got $120 (haggled from 150) for the last Sports I sold and only had a few responses. I could sell a 70's Raleigh Record (bottom of the barrel) for typically near double what a similar year and condition 3 speed would sell for.

I guess I should haul my near NOS '68 Sports down to NYC...

To the OP. If you're used market is really that crazy, Bikesdirect is an excellent value for the money. Be prepared to repack bearings, true wheels, etc. and probably throw away the saddle and tires if you're planning on putting any real miles on it. Other than that, like I mentioned above, I've been really impressed with the quality of my BD bike and the few my friends have had. Hell, if your market really is that hot sounds like you could get most of your $300 investment back on Craigslist if you didn't end up liking it.

maximus
09-29-2012, 10:23 PM
I just bought a Mercier Kilo From Bike Island, BD's sister company (same guy). Frame only - bought because I need a beater/lockup bike. I am pretty impressed by the quality for the price.

Erik_A
09-29-2012, 10:35 PM
For $300, I would get "the Hour" from BD instead: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/thehour_plus.htm
It has standard components - you could add a "Mary" bar if needed.
-----------------------------------------

Frame Windsor Custom Butted and Tapered 4130 Cromoly with Track Dropout 120mm width, single water bottle mount, REAR RACK braze on mounts.
Frame and fork drilled to fit normal front/rear road brake calipers. Fork Rack+Fender mounts
Fork Windsor StraightBlade Custom Drawn Triple Butted and Tapered 4130 Cromoly Track
Drilled for road brake, 1.125 inch steerer
Headset CH Sealed-Cage, Ball Bearing Threadless 1.125
Crankset LCO Black anodized Aluminum, 48T CNC Ring, 1/2x1/8, 130BCD
(43/49/52/54: 165mm, 56/58/61: 170mm)
Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge 103mm
Pedals FREE BONUS Flat pedals as shown, 9/16 CrMo axles (pedals can differ from pictured) (Assembly tip: Tighten pedals/cranks BEFORE/After Every Ride)
Front/ Rear Derailleur N/A / N/A
Shifters N/A
Cog/s / Chain Fixed Gear cog 15T or 16T (NoChoice), 1/2x1/8 / KMC Z410
Hubs Formula TrackSpec Black Anodized Aluminum, High Flange, sealed cage ball bearings. 32 hole. REAR FLIP/FLOP HUB with BOTH fixed cog side and on the other side you can install your own freewheel cog. Bolt-on M-10 solid axles, not quick-release. Rear 120mm.
Assembly Tip: TIGHTEN YOUR HUB LOCKRING BEFORE / AFTER RIDING
Rims / Spokes 32H Aero Track DoubleWall, black anodized aluminum (machined brake track)
Stainless spokes
Tires Kenda K191 700x23c or 700x28c (no choice)
Black wall high pressure road, presta valve tubes
Brakes/Levers Limited time offer - Order early and get a FREE Rear Brake and Lever
Handlebar Butted 6061 Aluminum Anatomical Bend, 26.0 clamp
(49/52/54: 420mm, 56/58/61: 440mm)
Stem Forged/Welded Aluminum, Removable Bar Clamp, Black Finish Threadless 1.125
Tape/Grip Deluxe Cork
Saddle SL Turbo Style Racing, Cromoly Rail
Seat Post/ Seat Clamp AL Post with clamp 27.2mm x 250mm
Windsor SL Machined Aluminum 29.8mm
Sizes
43, 49, 52, 54, 56, 58, 61, 64cm Bike Geometry Size Chart

Colors Legal Yellow, Jet Black, Pure White
Our low Factory Direct price is $299.95 Compare at $895.00+

Ti_on_Steel
09-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Here, this will confuse you even more:

http://cremecycles.com/index.php

Looks like your local shop can get one through Merry Sales.

What's the price range on these?

bart998
09-29-2012, 11:35 PM
I've had several friends buy bikes from BD that I assembled for them. The quality has been very good and the price excellent.

Fixed
09-30-2012, 01:23 AM
If all you want is a bike to take you across town then this bike will do it
IMHO
Cheers

illdthedj
09-30-2012, 01:33 AM
i cant speak from personal experience, but being on bike forums for a few years, bikes direct seems to be consistently reviewed positively when it comes to budget/beater bikes.

lets just say its typically 50-100 bucks more than a target/walmart bike but leaps and bounds better for a cheapo bike.

a bike-clueless friend was looking at a Schwinn walmart bike, a 29er style hybrid bike (mountain bike with basically wide 700c wheels and not super knobby tires)...it was going for 300. only came in ONE SIZE, and forget the shimano group was on it, but its the very lowest level shimano. and it had caliper brakes.

For 50 bucks more, bikes direct has a motobecane elite trail, (another "hybrid 29er" ie. 29er with not so knobby tires)...basically same type of bike but with disc brakes, shimano alivio (if the schwinn had level 1 shimano, this bike had more or less level 3-4....xtr being level 8 i guess) and came in actual sizes!

so yah just a bit more expensive than walmart bike prices for much more of a bike in my opinion.

and of all the positive bikes direct reviews ive read for entry level or beater bikes, they've been for a variety of different bikes. just my 2cents.

jlwdm
09-30-2012, 01:34 AM
BD?

Did RBR and the Paceline Forum merge while I was sleeping?

Go to RBR and read more info than you would ever want about BD - including the shill complaints.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
09-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Saw these recently and rode pretty well. However, double of your price though.

http://www.linusbike.com/models/roadster-sport/

I would say go thru a bike shop to have a place to resolve any issues. I sell Linus, great bike, no real problems with the 30 or so I have sold.

OperaLover
09-30-2012, 12:47 PM
"Gravity" Cross-bike. Price was great for the spec. Like others, I did readjust and lube all bearings, but we did it together. He is still riding it a year later without problems.

If you have wrenching ability, then it is a great way to go.

beeatnik
09-30-2012, 02:27 PM
I would say go thru a bike shop to have a place to resolve any issues. I sell Linus, great bike, no real problems with the 30 or so I have sold.

This.

The Retrospec at Jenson and the BD bike may be the same frame as a Linus, but a for a couple hundred bucks more (maybe less) you get the support and piece of mind of going through an LBS which will back your purchase. Linus is a good operation and all their dealers are top notch. As an added bonus, the resale on those bikes is Iphone-level. They don't depreciate much, especially in the hipster enclaves.

bikinchris
09-30-2012, 10:12 PM
What's the price range on these?

Now that I look at it, they are much more than your original budget. Especially the 8 speed versions.