PDA

View Full Version : Concorde PDM team bike

nighthawk
09-29-2012, 12:47 PM
One of my LBSs has a Concorde PDM team bike right now. Has a number tab, and looks to be a legit race bike. Any ideas on how to figure out who's bike it was? There's a sticker on the toptube that says S.G. PDM. I would assume S.G. is the racer... but can't figure out who that could be. It looks to be a 54 or 55.

Any ideas?

Flying Pigeon
09-29-2012, 01:13 PM
No guesses. We had a local Pro who was on that team - Andy Bishop.

Andy had one of the bikes in the shop where I worked as a teenager. One of us put it on the scale and he looked away. He preferred not to know the weight .. which was 24lbs on tubulars.

http://www.43bikes.com/43/43-bishop.jpg

choke
09-29-2012, 01:16 PM
My guess is that the "S.G." stands for "Sportieve Groep".

nighthawk
09-29-2012, 01:19 PM
The sticker on the toptube on the bike at the shop looked like this one on the front delta:
http://www.speedbicycles.ch/bikes/374/titel.jpg

So, I'm guessing S.G. is not the racer.

The frame I saw was constructed of SLX tubes, and had a mix of components... Campy NR for the most part... C-Record levers.. Stronglight headset... White Rolls saddle...

Gummee
09-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Had one. Great bike. Miss that one. One of a few I want back.

AFA SLX bikes: IIRC they were replicas. Team (actual Team) bikes were all TSX. Again IIRC. Team bikes were also all C-Record. Mine had the # tab too and I know mine was never a Team bike. Bought it new.

Buy it. That way I can buy it from you once I have $ again.

M

nighthawk
09-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Interesting.. thanks for the info. It's priced at $650... but could use a good dust off. If I wasn't in the middle of an expense build, I'd probably pick it up.

Gummee
09-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Interesting.. thanks for the info. It's priced at $650... but could use a good dust off. If I wasn't in the middle of an expense build, I'd probably pick it up.

IIRC that's about what I bought my frame and fork for in the late 80s.

I *so* wanted to make it a full-on Team Replica but couldn't afford the C-Record on a college student budget.

M

Elev12k
09-29-2012, 06:26 PM
For as far I know the standard Squadra frame has brake cable routing through the toptube and a Cinelli spoiler shell, while the authentic team bike has routing along the tube (the mechanics like that) and a modified spoiler shell so shift cables could be replaced quicker.

Standard Squadra frame with authentic team equipment: (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/3048244654_2472e5745e_b.jpg)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4738960392_fb75e35fa5_b.jpg

jet sanchez
09-29-2012, 09:54 PM
The braze-on for the number tag was an option that anyone could get on their bike if they paid extra.

maddog17
10-05-2012, 11:02 PM
I had one up until a few years ago. Mine was an Aquilla, SLX with internal routing and a number tab in the team paint job. Ciocc built most of the frames and I wanna say I read somewhere that Billato may have built some too. also remember reading that some were painted in the US too. there is some info out there on the PDM frames, just google it

Aaron O
05-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Apologies for the zombie thread...came by an SLX PDM Concorde, with hanger. SLX tubing. Almost all Mavic, but he lost the rear brake. Is the threading Italian? I read these were contracted from Pelizolli and Billato.

oldpotatoe
05-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Apologies for the zombie thread...came by an SLX PDM Concorde, with hanger. SLX tubing. Almost all Mavic, but he lost the rear brake. Is the threading Italian? I read these were contracted from Pelizolli and Billato.

Yes, far superior Italian threading...

paredown
05-05-2015, 09:10 AM
I looked for awhile after I acquired a Concorde EL-OS frame, but could never get a full convincing story. My sense is that Concordes were made by Billato, who in turn also made bikes for Ciocc so the frames are very similar. But it may be as Maddog says--that Ciocc built some as well.

Weirdly, mine is almost the only one I have seen without a number tag brazed on. But it does have the superior Italian threading.

Aaron O
05-05-2015, 04:45 PM
I looked for awhile after I acquired a Concorde EL-OS frame, but could never get a full convincing story. My sense is that Concordes were made by Billato, who in turn also made bikes for Ciocc so the frames are very similar. But it may be as Maddog says--that Ciocc built some as well.

Weirdly, mine is almost the only one I have seen without a number tag brazed on. But it does have the superior Italian threading.

This wouldn't suprise me at all - it looks nearly identical in a few areas to a Billato built Lemond I had a while back.

lhuerta
05-05-2015, 05:48 PM
that is a beauty...I remember PDM also had some bikes equipped with Chorus gruppo and monoplaner calipers. I recall pics of Sean Kelly and Raul Alcala with the mono brakes. And yes, Concorde frames were built either by Pelizolli or Billato

EDIT: found a few good pics

Kirk Pacenti
05-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Nice, one of my favorites!

Cheers,
KP

Miller76
05-05-2015, 07:15 PM
I've always wanted one of these!! There are a lot of bad ones floating around on eBay, but I've yet to find a nice clean one

blasdelf
05-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Yes, far superior Italian threading...

wat

oldpotatoe
05-06-2015, 06:48 AM
I had one up until a few years ago. Mine was an Aquilla, SLX with internal routing and a number tab in the team paint job. Ciocc built most of the frames and I wanna say I read somewhere that Billato may have built some too. also remember reading that some were painted in the US too. there is some info out there on the PDM frames, just google it

Conti built both Ciocc and Concorde in the 80s, late 90s.

Billato and Pellizoli also.

http://www.ciocc.it/en/brand.html