PDA

View Full Version : Eddy Merckx Value

norcalbiker
09-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Found a nice Frame, Fork and Headset of Eddy Merckx.

Here is what the ad say.

1992 54cm Eddy Merckx Century model, built with Columbus TSX steel tubing (used exclusively for Merckx models), in the bright "Tutti Fruiti" color scheme.

An exceptional example of hand-made lugged steel, and cycling prestige. No dents at all, stickers in 9/10 condition, pantographed EM logos are bright white, only minimal scratches in the paint. This is the original paint scheme.

He is asking $900.00

FlashUNC
09-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Doesn't sound to me to be completely unreasonable, though it depends on the quality of the paint and the overall frame condition.

If its all original with the original fork...its not outrageous. I'd try talking the seller down a bit, but that's just my love of haggling.

norcalbiker
09-28-2012, 12:15 PM
but that's just my love of haggling.

I hear you! :cool:

slidey
09-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Over priced, in my opinion. But, Merckx made bikes in so many colour schemes that some times if the colour scheme speaks to you, then you'd be willing to pay a slight premium on that itself.

The Vlaanderen team colours do it for me.

christian
09-28-2012, 12:18 PM
No chance. That's MXL pricing. The TSX bikes cost $700-750. I think Lou offered his Kelme TSX for around $750 and it was PERFECT and a popular size, and still took a couple days to sell.

Tutti Frutti is a less popular scheme too, though I think it's freaking fantastic.

$750. $825 if you really really want it.

texbike
09-28-2012, 12:22 PM
The Tutti Frutti paint scheme rocks!!!

$750 seems like a reasonable price to me for a nice, TSX-tubed EM frameset.

Texbike

norcalbiker
09-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Here is the link for those who wants to know what "Tutti Fruiti" look like.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/3254587082.html

oldpotatoe
09-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Found a nice Frame, Fork and Headset of Eddy Merckx.

Here is what the ad say.

1992 54cm Eddy Merckx Century model, built with Columbus TSX steel tubing (used exclusively for Merckx models), in the bright "Tutti Fruiti" color scheme.

An exceptional example of hand-made lugged steel, and cycling prestige. No dents at all, stickers in 9/10 condition, pantographed EM logos are bright white, only minimal scratches in the paint. This is the original paint scheme.

He is asking $900.00

Century frames very rare, maybe more so than MXLeaders.

Offer $775, finish at $825-$850..great riding frame.

AngryScientist
09-28-2012, 01:13 PM
even though he says 900 firm, unless he has a slew of potential buyers it's my experience that when you ask the craigslist community for 900, you're happy to walk away with 750. that sounds like a reasonable number to me too.

Fixed
09-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Century frames very rare, maybe more so than MXLeaders.

Offer $775, finish at $825-$850..great riding frame.

Listen to this ,very wise advise IMHO
Cheers :)

dbh
09-28-2012, 01:36 PM
even though he says 900 firm, unless he has a slew of potential buyers it's my experience that when you ask the craigslist community for 900, you're happy to walk away with 750. that sounds like a reasonable number to me too.

Ditto that. The market just isn't there for a $900 non MXL Merckx in a color scheme like this. I love the tutti fruity scheme and kick myself for passing up a MXL with those colors.

jr59
09-28-2012, 01:51 PM
These things are VERY subjective. Markets differ, and it's not like you are buying a new one, because the store next to this one may not have it.

So, I would say, if you like the frame, and it fits, then pay the money.
Because if you don't, you may not find another that you like as much.

The point being, how much do you like the frame? If it's just ok and not just what you were looking for, then look around for something that you can't live without.

If you are thinking about buying it as an investment, well don't do it! bikes are bad investments. Buy a bike to ride, to enjoy, to get in better shape, (b/c round is a shape). But don't buy it because you think of it as an investment!

Good luck, whatever you decide

cachagua
09-28-2012, 02:11 PM
I've been watching steel Merckx frames on eBay for a couple of years, and they are all OVER the map. They routinely sell for $350-$400 to well over a thousand. Appearance and condition makes a huge difference in price; people pay jaw-dropping amounts for NOS ones, although a listing may sit there for a long time before a motivated (and wealthy) buyer comes along.

My rules for this situation are: if it's not what I want, don't buy it. If I don't have the money, don't give up. If it's what I want, and I have the money, DON"T hesitate!

So if this is -->your<-- Merckx, the one you've been itching for all this time -- then, tell us all about it when you get it on the road!

norcalbiker
09-28-2012, 02:55 PM
These things are VERY subjective. Markets differ, and it's not like you are buying a new one, because the store next to this one may not have it.

So, I would say, if you like the frame, and it fits, then pay the money.
Because if you don't, you may not find another that you like as much.

The point being, how much do you like the frame? If it's just ok and not just what you were looking for, then look around for something that you can't live without.

If you are thinking about buying it as an investment, well don't do it! bikes are bad investments. Buy a bike to ride, to enjoy, to get in better shape, (b/c round is a shape). But don't buy it because you think of it as an investment!

Good luck, whatever you decide

Never bought a toy for investment.

rickbb
09-29-2012, 05:11 AM
Never bought a toy for investment.

Oh come on, work with us here. We need as many selling points as possible to convince the finance department. :)

gomango
09-29-2012, 06:29 AM
I've owned quite a few Merckx bicycles over the years.

I sold this Century/Team Kelme frameset locally after receiving 4 offers on another forum.

It was/is super clean and the offers for the frameset kept going until a reasonable level was reached.

Now owned by a local shop owner and I am sure he'll give it a good home.

I won't quote the price he paid, but most of the numbers here sound like a good ballpark.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/6858259203_b9b8309299_o.jpg

jet sanchez
09-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Hard to beat these colours, they are so crazy but they work well together. Mine is a Corsa Extra but it is built with TSX tubing, I guess that makes it custom.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/jetsanchEz/purp1.jpg

jtakeda
09-29-2012, 12:46 PM
That Merckx has been on craigslist for a while now. I would try and negotiate a little and its in my neighborhood if you want a set of eyes on it before you go and put down the big bucks.

dana_e
09-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Do you need the century Geo??

I don't

overpriced

700ish, I think