PDA

View Full Version : Can I make this work?

Nooch
09-28-2012, 08:15 AM
From a previous (and first) wheel build I have DT Comp 292, 294, and 295 spokes sitting in a drawer. I've got some hubs and a rim sitting in a closet.

Per QBP's spoke calculator, to build the rim I've got for the rear, I need 293 DS and 294 NDS. However, QBP also says that the actual measurement is 292.30, and as such recomends the DT 293's...

If I were to use the 292's on the NDS, would they be too short? Conversely, if I were to use the 294's, would they be too long? Would one side be higher tensioned than the other?

oldpotatoe
09-28-2012, 08:21 AM
From a previous (and first) wheel build I have DT Comp 292, 294, and 295 spokes sitting in a drawer. I've got some hubs and a rim sitting in a closet.

Per QBP's spoke calculator, to build the rim I've got for the rear, I need 293 DS and 294 NDS. However, QBP also says that the actual measurement is 292.30, and as such recomends the DT 293's...

If I were to use the 292's on the NDS, would they be too short? Conversely, if I were to use the 294's, would they be too long? Would one side be higher tensioned than the other?

Spoke length doesn't really effect tension. Tension is tension. If the length is a little long, may have spoke past the end of the nipple. If a little short, may have threads showing(12mm nipps).

Use 14mm nipples on the drive side and 292. You can use 14mm nipps on the non drive side, that won't matter but the wheel will look more symmetrical.

Also remember spkes are cut + - 1mm tolerances anyway.