PDA

View Full Version : Wheelbuilders-Tensionmeter?

oldpotatoe
09-28-2012, 08:10 AM
For those who are wheelbuilders, build a lot of wheels, like Ergott and others...

I use a DT dial tensionmeter, dropped(not the first time) so off it goes to GrandJunction for recal/repair. I see a FSA one, like the one Jobst help design, for sale. Any experiene with the FSA one? Would like to see if it's worth the $, cuz it's about the same $ as the refurb...

PLUS, I have a Phil spoke threading machine. BUT, needs refurb as well(about $700). Any experience with the Morizumi one?

I can probably unload the Phil for about $1000, Morizumi is $3200, new Phil is $4000(YOWSER)>

Grazie

Peter

ergott
09-28-2012, 08:51 AM
I use the FSA and I'm very happy with it. No chart, the readout is the same for all spoke gauges.

The only spokes machine I've used is the PW. Not sure how much work it needs, but they sell pretty well on eBay. I sold one for someone for a great price. Forum buy/sell is not the right market.

gone
09-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Where did you see the FSA meter for sale? I've never found a place, eBay or otherwise that actually has them.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Where did you see the FSA meter for sale? I've never found a place, eBay or otherwise that actually has them.

Craig's list.

danielpack22@ma
09-28-2012, 10:32 AM

Is this similar enough to the FSA to be of interest?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-90Lf7xxyu6U/Two9sFDwspI/AAAAAAAAAzU/-aYHOmmGmdQ/s400/tensio.jpg

More info here:http://www.wheelfanatyk.blogspot.com/2012/01/wheel-fanatyks-tensiometer.html

guyintense
09-28-2012, 12:10 PM
It seems to me that the DT and FSA tools copy the Hozan. An excellent tool, accurate and very used friendly.

As for the Morizumi threading tool, Wheel Fanatyk has had a machine in their NAHBS booth for the last two years for anyone to try out. If you can wait till Denver. Till then check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI3OCyazcYM

oldpotatoe
09-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Is this similar enough to the FSA to be of interest?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-90Lf7xxyu6U/Two9sFDwspI/AAAAAAAAAzU/-aYHOmmGmdQ/s400/tensio.jpg

More info here:http://www.wheelfanatyk.blogspot.com/2012/01/wheel-fanatyks-tensiometer.html

same tool. different label.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2012, 12:47 PM
It seems to me that the DT and FSA tools copy the Hozan. An excellent tool, accurate and very used friendly.

As for the Morizumi threading tool, Wheel Fanatyk has had a machine in their NAHBS booth for the last two years for anyone to try out. If you can wait till Denver. Till then check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI3OCyazcYM

Talked to him in NAHMBS in Portland, saw the machine there. No 'show specials' tho.

ergott
09-28-2012, 01:08 PM
same tool. different label.

Mine has the dial gauge, not the digital one. That does look nice, but I doubt I would use the computer functions. I'm a numbers guy, but that looks like it would slow down my workflow. I use the tensiometer for a tension reference, but I use pitch for evening out the wheel.

09-28-2012, 01:23 PM
I've owned and used both the PW and the Morizumi and definitely can't complain about the Morizumi. It's really good. I haven't had to get parts for it, but shouldn't be a problem. It's fast, very clean threading, no problems with odd spokes, and durable. For a shop, I'd probably stick with the PW -- simply because you need parts, service, and it'll hold its value forever.

As for tensiometers, Ric used to work for FSA for a while and sold the same tensiometer under their brand name when he was there. Now he sells it on his own. I have that one, the Hozan, the DT, and also a really nice German one without a brand on it. The German one is by far the nicest but was an unconscionable $850 when I got it six years ago. The same guy makes a wheel truing jig that's about $3000 and equally gorgeous. Anyway, I found the Hozan to be less practical to use -- bulkier, the gauge sometimes would stick a bit and be inaccurate, etc. Ric's device is nice but you really have to be careful using it to get complete reproducibility. The DT fits almost all wheels, doesn't go bad unless you drop it, seems very reproducible (no way to judge absolute accuracy except that all the tensiometers end up giving pretty close to the same reading, and with a few caveats each one keeps giving the same reading on the same spoke, which is really the most important). I'd just go with the DT if I were buying one at this point.

Ligero
09-28-2012, 06:17 PM
I use the DT tensiometer but have the FSA one as well but do not use. I like the DT because it is easy to use and for the most part gives repeatable results.

For a spoke machine we have 2 Phil Woods but if I had to buy them at todays prices I would buy either the Morizumi or Kowa. If you don't cut a large number of spokes the extra speed of the Phil will not be a problem. If you cut a lot of spokes the 2 step process of the Morizumi/Kowa can add time. The Kowa is a slightly modified version of the Morizumi and works pretty much the exact same way. The Kowa is quite a few hundred cheaper then the Morizumi. Here is video for the Kowa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1afy0J4S_Y

oldpotatoe
09-29-2012, 07:08 AM
For the responses. I have the FSA on the way and I'll see how I like it(since I gotta get the DT one fixed, if I keep it).

I'll also see if a local bike Co-op buys the PW spoke cutter as is..

I cut spokes for the odd/small sizes. just cut about 130 in teeny sizes(1490/150mm) for the same bike Co-Op...BUT generally just buy lengths I need. The other 'issue' with the PW is cutting 1.8mm width. Somewhat cumbersome to change it it kinda goons the cutter up for a while..so we leave it on 2mm....

Still build about 400 or so wheels a year. Seems the wheelbuilding biz has been increasing in the last few years...as more and more are not satisfied with their wheelsouttaboxes. Either for their $, promised performance advantages(not accurate), lack of reliability or all 3.

oldpotatoe
09-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Mine has the dial gauge, not the digital one. That does look nice, but I doubt I would use the computer functions. I'm a numbers guy, but that looks like it would slow down my workflow. I use the tensiometer for a tension reference, but I use pitch for evening out the wheel.

Just got it...very accurate, Like the way it measures deflection so more deflection, less tension...It's a little slower to use(dial) but I like it.

Anybody want to buy a DT TensionMeter, needs a new dial..cost to fix is about $100, $30 for the labor/recalibrate and $50 for the dial plus shipping,

I'll take $90, I pay shipping.

Don49
09-29-2012, 12:44 PM
So is the Park Tool spoke tension meter just a hobbyist tool? Since it wasn't mentioned, I assume it's nowhere near the same quality as the other tension meters. Is the Park tool worth having for occasional wheel building and truing?

oldpotatoe
09-29-2012, 01:36 PM
So is the Park Tool spoke tension meter just a hobbyist tool? Since it wasn't mentioned, I assume it's nowhere near the same quality as the other tension meters. Is the Park tool worth having for occasional wheel building and truing?

Yep, it works, better than nothing.