PDA

View Full Version : Extralight or Legend

SleepyCyclist
09-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Have been lucky enough to have both an older Merlin Extralight and Serotta Legend.

Looking to get a nicer MTB so thinking of selling one of the road bikes - but really torn as to which to keep? Thoughts? Suggestions?

M

jds108
09-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Which one fits better?

lzuk
09-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Both are fine bikes, I sold my Merlin to ride a Legend. Fit is the best reason to ride one over the other. Both could have a new build. Newer drivetrains are a big improvement.

Nags&Ducs
09-28-2012, 04:44 AM
Have been lucky enough to have both an older Merlin Extralight and Serotta Legend.

Looking to get a nicer MTB so thinking of selling one of the road bikes - but really torn as to which to keep? Thoughts? Suggestions?

M

As others said, fit is primary. But you know that and my guess is that they are set-up exactly the same, aren't they?

It's funny to me that you have to even ask this question. For me, I have all my bikes "racked and stacked" for which ones would have to go first if I had to sell off my bikes one at a time.

The questions I'd ask myself: Which would be harder to re-acquire if I had the means to re-purchase the lost frame/bike? Which is in better condition? Which has better components? Which do you like the ride of better? Which are you more emotionally tied to?

oldpotatoe
09-28-2012, 08:34 AM

M

Which 'calls', 'sings' to you more?

Keep that one.

AngryScientist
09-28-2012, 08:37 AM
i won both (OK, my merlin is not an extralight), if i were in that boat, i would keep my merlin. it's a TK designed frame, and the best bike i've ever ridden, bar none.

scogordo
09-28-2012, 08:38 AM
which is more amenable to future changes? 1 1/8 steerer? standard bb shells? fit wider tires?

Kirk Pacenti
09-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Super tough choice... both were my dream bikes when they came out... might give the nod to the Extra Light though. Those all round (non-tapered) tubes just do it for me from an aesthetic pov.

Cheers,

KP

PS: It may not matter much. If you get hooked on MTB riding, the road bike may just end up gathering dust in the garage. ;)

tuxbailey
09-28-2012, 09:44 AM
I don't have a Legend but I will keep my Extralight until it is rusted.

Wait, Ti doesn't rust...

SleepyCyclist
09-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Both fit great. Love the ride of both. Both are older, so 1" steerers, etc. The Merlin was my dream bike growing up, so obviously has the sentimental edge. But the Serotta is a great bike as well - tough choice!

Thanks for all the advice. M

merlinmurph
09-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Well, if the Merlin is a 56cm built in Cambridge with a threaded BB, I'd encourage you to sell it. Let me know. :)

Enjoy your ride,
(Merlin)Murph

djg
09-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Both fit great. Love the ride of both. Both are older, so 1" steerers, etc. The Merlin was my dream bike growing up, so obviously has the sentimental edge. But the Serotta is a great bike as well - tough choice!

Thanks for all the advice. M

This is one of those situations where, if it's a tough choice, it just doesn't matter. Both are fine bikes; both likely to be investments only insofar as they are investments in your future riding enjoyment. If they both fit, and you like them both a great deal, and about the same, then whichever bike you keep will be fine. I mean, does one give you any different functionality at all over the other? For example, does one take 25 or 27c tires where the other one only takes 23? If not, go with your heart. If your heart is unsure, flip a coin.

cachagua
09-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Dude, this is not difficult!

Sell the car.

avalonracing
09-28-2012, 01:20 PM
If one is my size, keep the other one.

I had a Legend and it was great, I'm on a Merlin CR right now which is quite different than the early Extralights. Based on what people say about the early XLs you can't lose with either that or the Legend.

That said, if anyone has either a 2009 Merlin Extralight or a Merlin Works TR 3/2.5 with a 57.5 TT let me know because I want one.

SleepyCyclist
09-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Dude, this is not difficult!

Sell the car.

:) lol - best answer!

Thanks, M