PDA

View Full Version : Budget CX bike: Go Disc or Cantilever?

ofcounsel
09-27-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm looking for an entry level cross bike. If I'm going only to be spending about $1500-$1600 on a cross bike, should I just get a the cantilever equipped model: Like this one..

http://www.focus-bikes.com/int/en/bikes/bikes-2012/category/cyclocross-11/model/mares-ax-10.html

Or should I maybe pick up a disc equipped bike, like this one:
http://www.focus-bikes.com/int/en/bikes/bikes-2013/category/cyclocross-23/model/mares-ax-20-disc-20-g.html

I can also get a left over 2012 Specialized Crux Comp Disc w/Tiagra 10 speed for $1050 if I want to go really cheap

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2012/crux/cruxcompdisc

I get that the canti model will be a little lighter and better spec'ed. But do you all think the mechanical discs are worth the trade-off?? Given that I'm in SoCal, we don't see a lot of inclement weather, so not sure the disc's are "worth it"

I would like to hear some thoughts.

4Rings6Stars
09-27-2012, 11:40 PM
I love my cross bike with discs, but if I never road in the rain I probably would have just gone with mini-v or long reach dual pivot calipers (hate cantis).

Best bang for your buck would be to go used...I will probably never buy a new/off the shelf bike again. SOOO many good deals on lightly used high end bikes to be had. $1500 buys you a lot of bike if you're willing to get something a few years old with a couple nicks and scratches.

mtechnica
09-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Discs probably aren't worth it in socal unless you know you won't be satisfied with the stopping power of cantis. There are always mini v's too...

fourflys
09-28-2012, 12:11 AM
I had a Van Dessel with TRP CX9 mini-v's in SoCal and it worked almost too well... Never had a problem slowing down... I'd keep an eye out for something used here or post a WTB ad...

christian
09-28-2012, 05:44 AM
My cx bike has cantilevers, and I'm really not convinced by the benefits of mechanical discs except in serious mud.

That said, Tiagra 10 is amazing stuff, and that's a great price for a Crux. I'd be sorely tempted.

You planning to use this for racing or riding around? If you wait until January, you can obviously get a deal on a used cx bike. If you plan to race this season, that's obviously not an option n

christian
09-28-2012, 05:49 AM
I assume all of these come with clincher wheelsets? That's a reason to consider cantis. If you are racing in SoCal, you'll definitely benefit more from a set of tubular wheels than discs, and disc-brake tubular wheelsets in 130mm are obviously way more rare than the rim-brake variety.

Feel free to ignore if not for racing.

AngryScientist
09-28-2012, 05:55 AM
eff disk brakes IMO.

cross bikes take a beating. if you're buying a budget bike, you're probably getting budget wheels. you will want new wheels. spare wheels. other wheels. you will ding wheels, bend wheels, break spokes, etc. i want to be able to slam whatever spare wheelset is laying around on my cross frame and go.

eff disks.

Peter P.
09-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Obviously, cantilevers offer sufficient braking power otherwise they wouldn't have stuck around for so long, so that's not a factor.

It seems to me discs would only be a benefit in rain or muddy conditions, and save your rims from wear.

So if you don't ride in those conditions in SoCal and rim wear is not an issue, then I'd suggest you stick with rim brakes; they're lighter and help keep that budget bike price in check.

Nooch
09-28-2012, 07:03 AM
well i can tell ya as far as the crux goes, it's a pretty nice rig.. granted, mine is sans discs, and I've only had one real crossy ride on her, but she's a keeper.

William
09-28-2012, 07:15 AM
If given the choice, I would take discs. But, I'm basing that choice on my weight and haven ridden both. Discs stop me way better then any canti's or mini-v's I've had.

William

christian
09-28-2012, 07:19 AM
I just looked at the Crux specs. That thing is fantastic for $1000. I'd be tempted to buy one and lace some tub rims to the hubs.

FlashUNC
09-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Personally, I'd go with a cantis but a frame/fork that have the tabs for discs if I ever wanted to change/upgrade.

My Redline's a great cross frame, but its canti/v-brake only.

redir
09-28-2012, 08:44 AM
I would definitely go with disks. I've been racing cyclocross for over ten years now and I have always hated canti's. I've tried so many different kinds and I hate them all. I hear good things about the mini V's but you have to get the pads real close to the rims so that kind of defeats the whole purpose. Cyclocross racing is all about speed in the corners. Disk brakes would allow you to approach the corner a lot faster as you initiate your braking later since the stopping power is there.

Only reason I don't go disk is because I've got 4 cross tubular wheel sets. So the upgrade cost would just be too much. But some day I will probably do it.

ofcounsel
09-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for all the advice so far.

I'm really tempted with the Crux! My plan is to enter into at least a few races this season. Nothing serious (I'm 5'10" and 210lbs, so obviously I can't be serious!), just for fun.

I'm going to sell my Specialized Camber Expert, and I think the money I get will allow me to get the Crux w/o spending extra out of pocket. So it's really like exchanging one bike for another.

illuminaught
09-28-2012, 09:04 AM
If you really need disc brakes... you're racing wrong... IMHO

^Speed through corners... not: speed up to the turn, slam the brake, and start again...

Get some good canti's... spend some time getting them positioned well, and use good pads. I ride DH trails on my cx bike all the time and the braking is definitely sketchy but if I was rolling discs I'd only be skidding more.

John M
09-28-2012, 09:05 AM
I use cantis and have no problem with them. If you are not a fast cross racer, the bike will not be your limiting factor. If you are fast, the bike is not the reason why.

Race whatever fits your budget and your aesthetics.

Lovetoclimb
09-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I would be inclined to agree that if you are new to cross discs are not necessary. Learn how to keep speed and stay off the brakes, anytime you are using them energy you spent getting the bike going is being wasted.

That being said, in my LBS, he has the Colnago World Cup disc equipped with Shimano 105 or Ultegra for $1900. And it has mounting options for rim caliper brakes too if you wanted to swap for year round commuting and save the discs for CX.

I personally raced a Surly Cross check with a frankenCampy group, the lowest end Avid cantis, and anything else I could "borrow" last year. Good results, moving through 4s and into the 3s, and now I am racing that same bike at a near elite level until my local frame builder gets my custom steel frame done. But I will be sticking with Cantis on that too. If it works for Nys, Stybar, Alberts, et al . . .

Germany_chris
09-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Disc..

holliscx
09-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Start mini v; you can always switch to cantis. Discs are overkill for cyclocross atmo.

KonaSS
09-28-2012, 11:05 AM
If you are the type to hold onto a bike for several years, get the disc. It is where the market is heading no matter how many people on this thread deny it, or preach on how unnecessary it is.

I really like that Crux. Great frame that is worthy of upgrades if you get more serious down the road. In fact, let me know where I can get one at that price and I will buy one too.

d_douglas
09-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Everything here is correct, IMO. Love discs and buying used is the way to go, if you can live with a few scratches...

My disc CX bike is my winter road bike as well.

I love my cross bike with discs, but if I never road in the rain I probably would have just gone with mini-v or long reach dual pivot calipers (hate cantis).

Best bang for your buck would be to go used...I will probably never buy a new/off the shelf bike again. SOOO many good deals on lightly used high end bikes to be had. $1500 buys you a lot of bike if you're willing to get something a few years old with a couple nicks and scratches.

ofcounsel
09-28-2012, 12:47 PM
If you are the type to hold onto a bike for several years, get the disc. It is where the market is heading no matter how many people on this thread deny it, or preach on how unnecessary it is.

I really like that Crux. Great frame that is worthy of upgrades if you get more serious down the road. In fact, let me know where I can get one at that price and I will buy one too.

: ) They had one left, and it happens to be my size : )

harryblack
09-28-2012, 02:23 PM
CANTI CANTI CANTI (or mini-Vs)...

learn to ride it into the ground and then ask the same question in a year or two...

I'm looking for an entry level cross bike. If I'm going only to be spending about $1500-$1600 on a cross bike, should I just get a the cantilever equipped model: Like this one..

http://www.focus-bikes.com/int/en/bikes/bikes-2012/category/cyclocross-11/model/mares-ax-10.html

Or should I maybe pick up a disc equipped bike, like this one:
http://www.focus-bikes.com/int/en/bikes/bikes-2013/category/cyclocross-23/model/mares-ax-20-disc-20-g.html

I can also get a left over 2012 Specialized Crux Comp Disc w/Tiagra 10 speed for $1050 if I want to go really cheap

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2012/crux/cruxcompdisc

I get that the canti model will be a little lighter and better spec'ed. But do you all think the mechanical discs are worth the trade-off?? Given that I'm in SoCal, we don't see a lot of inclement weather, so not sure the disc's are "worth it"

I would like to hear some thoughts.

maunahaole
09-28-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't race cross, so I'm not going to weigh in on the canti vs disc thing for a cross bike. There are a lot of others who can speak to that with a lot more authority and knowledge.

My question to you is: Do you plan on riding this for more than cross? A bike of this type would be ideal for exploring fire roads. You have more than a few of those in SoCal and some of them go up and down some big hills. At 210 lb, you would probably appreciate the extra stopping power that you will get with discs not to mention the diminished noise when holding the brake for more than a few seconds.

tuscanyswe
09-28-2012, 02:47 PM
I like both or rather i think both have their drawbacks. Disc bikes are heavy esp budget disc bikes, they are very heavy! Canti bikes lacks stopping power under certain conditions.

If i was building a budget cross for commuting id prolly choose disc even with the quite severe weight penalty. If it was mainly for cross id go with cantis no doubt.

Yes the market is going towards disc. But that might be the case for roadbikes too.. Ive never felt the need for discs on my roadbike and i doubt i ever will. I have however felt a need for discs in traffic instead of cantis on more than a few occations.

ofcounsel
09-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah I will be using it for fire roads. Lots of the. Where Live that I currently use my 29er hardtail for.

Frankwurst
09-28-2012, 08:15 PM
I use cantis and have no problem with them. If you are not a fast cross racer, the bike will not be your limiting factor. If you are fast, the bike is not the reason why.

Fixed it for you which is something I never do but this post sums it all up.:beer:
If my fix was not what you intended to say my apologies.

William
09-28-2012, 08:27 PM
My question to you is: Do you plan on riding this for more than cross? A bike of this type would be ideal for exploring fire roads. You have more than a few of those in SoCal and some of them go up and down some big hills. At 210 lb, you would probably appreciate the extra stopping power that you will get with discs not to mention the diminished noise when holding the brake for more than a few seconds.

This is the main reason for my previous comment. I love to descend and I use the brakes minimally. But, at a lean 260lb, emergency stops on canti's & mini-v's are less than stellar. Discs grab and stop when I want them to. I'm seriously thinking about having disc tabs put on the Zanc in the future.

William

djg
09-29-2012, 06:52 AM
I dunno. Discs are interesting, and may be coming, and may have their advantages in certain regards, but I said "no thanks" when getting my first custom cross frame this year. Didn't just skip the discs -- skipped being set up to have the option. As for the disc brakes themselves, I didn't quite see the need, and didn't want extra weight. But the governing thing is wheels. If you get a canti setup (or use mini vs), every road wheel you already own, and every used road wheel deal you find, can turn into a cross wheel if you put a cross tire on it. And for racing, I'd say the right tire for the job is a key consideration. Frankly for fire roads it's probably also a key consideration, although there are all sorts of ways to make due.

But really, get whatever cross bike floats your boat, and fits your budget, and get out there. You'll have a blast.

If you want crazy stopping power for fire roads, you can go to mini v brakes (the TRP 8.4s -- 9 if you ride sramano -- will stop you pretty darn quick). I'm happy with the current cantis (avid ultimates), and like the modulation better than on the mini-v brakes, but it's an option to consider.

oldpotatoe
09-29-2012, 07:28 AM
I use cantis and have no problem with them. If you are not a fast cross racer, the bike will not be your limiting faster. If you are fast, the bike is not the reason why.

Reality, what a concept....

classtimesailer
09-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah I will be using it for fire roads. Lots of the. Where Live that I currently use my 29er hardtail for.

If you are not yet serious about CX, consider a road bike that will take 32-35 CX tires. CX frame geometry is all over the place. You don't have to make the choice between troublesome cantis and why bother disks. You can use med reach dual pivots.

Fixed
09-29-2012, 12:06 PM
If you are not yet serious about CX, consider a road bike that will take 32-35 CX tires. CX frame geometry is all over the place. You don't have to make the choice between troublesome cantis and why bother disks. You can use med reach dual pivots.

That make great sense to me what is out there that fits the bill?
Touring frames lack the sex appeal some riders want for some reason
Just wondering :)
Cheers

jpw
09-29-2012, 12:11 PM
It's easier to change discs and pads than worn rims.

pakora
09-30-2012, 12:44 PM
This one only just came on my radar, but the All City Macho Man is one of very few steel routes. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for reviews. Just had my first race and I didn't spot one.

bluesea
10-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Do mini V brakes squeal, or is this a set up issue?

redir
10-01-2012, 11:05 AM
If you really need disc brakes... you're racing wrong... IMHO

^Speed through corners... not: speed up to the turn, slam the brake, and start again...

Get some good canti's... spend some time getting them positioned well, and use good pads. I ride DH trails on my cx bike all the time and the braking is definitely sketchy but if I was rolling discs I'd only be skidding more.

As a cat 2 with upgrade points including a win and a podium finish in Cyclocross I can assure you I am not racing wrong :)

You are absolute right, the corners are where cross races are won and the faster you get to them the better. Especially when it's the hole shot or in pack situations, punch it all the way and when your competitors are breaking for the corner you can get into it a bit further then brake and the corner is yours.

cat6
10-01-2012, 11:23 AM
A right arm offspinner, Rahman was a member of Bangladesh's 1997 ICC Trophy winning side. He became his country's inaugural Test captain when he led Bangladesh on their Test debut, against India in 2000. Rahman took 6 for 132 in India's first innings, including the wickets of Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly.