PDA

View Full Version : More bike indecision

LegendRider
10-07-2005, 02:00 PM
I hope this thread isn't inappropriate on the Serotta forum. I've owned one and I have lots of respect for the gang at Serotta. However, my new ride is narrowed down to the following. Please help me decide.

This will be my primary rig to be used on group rides, mountain rides, occasional road races and general cruising. I've already got a bike for wet weather and crits.

Options:
- Colnago C-50: I've always wanted one. I know it's expensive, but in 15 years of riding I've never owned a Colnago. Plus, the jerk's endorsement means a lot. Geometry works for me.
- Eddy Merckx MXM: Another brand I've never owned but always wanted. The geometry in my size is great.
- Parlee Z1X - Custom geo available, very pricey however; doesn't have the road racing history of Colnago or Merckx (I'm a big fan of pro racing)
- Parlee Z3 - less expensive but not thrilled with sloping design or wishbone stay for aesthetic reasons.
- Cannondale Six13 - Can get a deal on one, but the headtube is way too short for me. Don't want 4cm on spacers or positive rise stem. A fraction of the cost of the others for a small aesthetic indiscretion...
- CAAD8 - See above.

slowgoing
10-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Get the one that fits.

Sorry, I read that canned response so much it makes me sick.

Haven't ridden any of them so this post is absolutely worthless. Good luck, though, the reviews on all of them sound wonderful.

LegendRider
10-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Get the one that fits.

Sorry, I read that canned response so much it makes me sick.

Haven't ridden any of them so this post is absolutely worthless. Good luck, though, the reviews on all of them sound wonderful.

I know how important fit is and I'm confident I can get the fit I want on any of them.

djg
10-07-2005, 03:11 PM
I gather from your handle that you have a legend and it's a great bike and nobody at Serotta should be hurt by the fact that you're not buying a second one.

You're looking at mui expensive carbon fiber frames not because you don't have a bike and not because they'll make you appreciably faster but because ... because. You've wanted a Colnago for 15 years? Buy the Colnago. You will probably love it. And you'll have your Nag. Would you love a parlee? Maybe so, but another great bike (you already have one) will not erase, except maybe very temporarily, that old hankering for a Colnago. The Nag, on the other hand, will be a Colnago, and it's just tremendously unlikely that it will, properly set up, come up short. This is about scratching an itch you have for a Colnago. So scratch. It's what Beppe rode, even if it isn't exactly that, and even if Ernesto never touched yours.

Never threw a leg over a C50 myself, but I know about the decades of hankering. Still have the CT1 with Record 10 I built up in 2001. No regrets, and no desperate searches for a spare seatpost or something to use as a back-scratcher.

SoCalSteve
10-07-2005, 03:16 PM
that Colnago's are over-rated. I owned a C-40 B-stay and was not overly impressed with the ride (paint was nice).

Actually, of all the carbon bikes I've owned (quite a few) the best so far was a Trek OCLV. But, you dont want that, I'm sure. I really didnt like my Calfee, if anyone cares. And, the Fondriest even less.

From everyones glowing reports on Parlee, why not look into that more...Or, a less expensive alternative is Nick Crumpton. All custom with an Ouzo Pro for 2700.00. Great deal!

Check him out.

Good luck!

Steve

Fixed
10-07-2005, 03:24 PM
bro do the nago you'll be happy i.m.h.o. but i'd get a Sach cheers:beer:

RichMc
10-07-2005, 03:41 PM
If you don't get one of the two you've always wanted it will nag at the back of your mind forever. Therefore it's got to be the Colnago or Merckx. I wanted a Nago for years until I understood that their sizing geometry won't work well for me. (Headtubes are too short for proper length top tube). Once I understood that I could let go of the desire. Mostly.

cinelli
10-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Options:
- Colnago C-50: I've always wanted one. I know it's expensive, but in 15 years of riding I've never owned a Colnago. Plus, the jerk's endorsement means a lot. Geometry works for me.
- Eddy Merckx MXM: Another brand I've never owned but always wanted. The geometry in my size is great.
- Parlee Z1X - Custom geo available, very pricey however; doesn't have the road racing history of Colango or Merckx (I'm a big fan of pro racing)
- Parlee Z3 - less expensive but not thrilled with sloping design or wishbone stay for aesthetic reasons.
- Cannondale Six13 - Can get a deal on one, but the headtube is way too short for me. Don't want 4cm on spacers or positive rise stem. A fraction of the cost of the others for a small aesthetic indiscretion...
- CAAD8 - See above.[/QUOTE]

1. Colnago C-50: most visual appeal and racing heritage in this bunch...lots of oohs and ahhs from your buddies when you pull up on a C-50....way cool!

2. Merckx MXM: excellent handling bike if it is from Eddy.....just more of a tool than the Colnago....lot's less visual appeal.

3. Parlee Z1X: becoming the U.S. carbon standard, but very pricey (aren't they all) and very utilitarian in aesthetics.

4. Parlee Z3: less attractive cousin on Z1X....but cheaper!

5. Cannondale Six13: strictly utility loses a ton on resale....but provides a lot of utility for the buck.

6. CAAD8: ZZZZZZZZZZ

But, what do I know? (I have owned a C40 , several Merckx(s) and a Parlee Z3).

1centaur
10-07-2005, 09:59 PM
I have a Nag (CT-1) and a Parlee and a Six13, and they're all great, but I agree with the others here, the Nag's what you want so get it out of your system. Their geometry is interesting, and Eddie's heart doesn't seem to be in carbon yet, so I see that bike as just a resting point on the way to something better.

Kurt
10-08-2005, 12:33 AM
in no particular order.

The warranty on Colnago sucks, if you ever have an issue, good luck

The 613 is one of the best riding frames I have ever been on, very well rounded - I agree re the spacers, but I have a 3cm spacer from zip and it does not look to bad really on my optimo - also the bases of stems vary so it could add to the stack height. funny about the comment re resale - none of this stuff is worth anything after it leaves the shop. my club price on an 06' 613 for the frame/fork is around $1500, so if you can live some sometimes strange colors it might be a consideration.

If you like stiff and great quality add Time to your list and if you want it all, take a peek @ the 585 - great frame and fork for the mid 2's - I tried a friends that past week and it would be my new frame if I was looking.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=1229

Jeff N.
10-08-2005, 09:37 AM
If you've got the bucks go with the Parlee. Jeff N.

Fixed
10-08-2005, 09:49 AM
bro if go cdale you'll be just like the 6 other guys on your ride if that means anything cheers :beer:

FlaRider
10-08-2005, 10:26 AM
LegendRider,

You should also consider a Time VXRS (the same frameset ridden by the Quick Step team) if the geo works for you. It's very well made (Time makes all of its carbon fiber tubing in-house), very light, stiff, not harsh over rough pavement/bumps, handles superbly and has great road feel (unlike other CF frames which tend to mute road too much for my tastes). I've owned two Calfees (Tetra and D'Fly) and a custom Parlee Z1, and my VXRS is by far my favorite CF bike for the type of riding I do (mostly training rides and races). The Parlee was absolutely gorgeous and, being custom, fit me perfectly. However, it was unacceptably "harsh" for my size/weight (I've owned Alu frames that are less harsh than my Parlee) and I sold it after a few months. Others rave about Parlee, however, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I have yet to hear anyone, however, say less than stellar things about a VXRS.

Climb01742
10-08-2005, 10:47 AM
what flarider said. vxrs is remarkable. and from what a guy at my LBS said yesterday, the 06 is 200 grams lighter than the 05. and with the 05, building a 15 lbs bike is a piece of cake with nothing stupid light on it.

PBWrench
10-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Colnago for sure. Mystique aside it is a tremendous ride -- I couldn't, respectfully, disagree more with SoCalSteve. I've had three Nags, and I cherish my 2002 C40. The fit works perfectly for me, and while I love my other current road ride - a Legend ST(with its Paul Levine fit), nothing approaches the magic carpet ride of my Colnago. I do have two buddies with the TIME that think that it's the bomb.

vaxn8r
10-08-2005, 02:39 PM
This thread cracks me up. Unfortunately opinions are like a.h.'s, everybody's got one. "Parlee's are the best!" "No, I completely disagree, way to stiff..and oversized too boot."

I wish there was a way to get more objectivity when seeking information about bikes. I spent the day with 2 buddies, 70 miles. Legend, Ottrott and Colnago Dream B-Stay. We each rode each bike several different stretches of the ride. All 3 are kick-a$$ bikes. They all have their strengths and difficult to find a glaring weakness in any. They all 3, are better than 99% of the bikes out there. All 3 bring a big smile to my face. I can tell you the differences but the truth is they are all fantastic.

I don't understand the negativity around here. It's not like any of the bikes on your list are going to be a disappointment. Minor differences yes. But you can not go wrong on that list. Go with your heart and your budget and be happy knowing you got the best bike.

Dr. Doofus
10-08-2005, 02:47 PM
talk to your LBS about a Pegoretti Fina Estampa...this week....

Sandy
10-08-2005, 03:49 PM
This thread cracks me up. Unfortunately opinions are like a.h.'s, everybody's got one. "Parlee's are the best!" "No, I completely disagree, way to stiff..and oversized too boot."

I wish there was a way to get more objectivity when seeking information about bikes. I spent the day with 2 buddies, 70 miles. Legend, Ottrott and Colnago Dream B-Stay. We each rode each bike several different stretches of the ride. All 3 are kick-a$$ bikes. They all have their strengths and difficult to find a glaring weakness in any. They all 3, are better than 99% of the bikes out there. All 3 bring a big smile to my face. I can tell you the differences but the truth is they are all fantastic.

I don't understand the negativity around here. It's not like any of the bikes on your list are going to be a disappointment. Minor differences yes. But you can not go wrong on that list. Go with your heart and your budget and be happy knowing you got the best bike.

Well said. Very well said.

Sandy

LegendRider
10-08-2005, 04:46 PM
talk to your LBS about a Pegoretti Fina Estampa...this week....

I own one. I like it fine, but it doesn't seem to have the magical qualities people attribute to it. It's not light and my heel hits the massive chainstays when I don't move my cleats in (feet out).

Did I mention it's for sale? 57cm, Ferrari red, mint condition

Fixed
10-08-2005, 07:19 PM
I own one. I like it fine, but it doesn't seem to have the magical qualities people attribute to it. It's not light and my heel hits the massive chainstays when I don't move my cleats in (feet out).

Did I mention it's for sale? 57cm, Ferrari red, mint condition bro you are goin to get into trouble around here, that is the IN bike now. Bikes don't go fast riders do. i.m.h.o. I don't know nearly as much about these things as the other guys here, but I do ride a lot. cheers :beer:

LegendRider
10-08-2005, 08:05 PM
bro you are goin to get into trouble around here, that is the IN bike now. Bikes don't go fast riders do. i.m.h.o. I don't know nearly as much about these things as the other guys here, but I do ride a lot. cheers :beer:

The funny thing is I've been trying to sell this bike in the forum classifieds for about six months with no success. For such a desirable bike, you'd think someone would make me an offer.

Fixed
10-08-2005, 08:08 PM
bro try ebay cheers :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
10-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Do you have any resources whatsoever to do any comparison rides on these bikes? There was nothing so revealing to me when trying to make a decision as riding my main choices in succession. I had to go to Boston (Wheelworks) to find a store that had the stock built up for me to ride, but I’ve never regretted going to that trouble.

In a metro area the size of Atlanta, is there any way you could make appointments at dealers to demo as many as possible on the same day?

BBDave

froze
10-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Of all the people posting here I'm probably the least qualified to make a statement about which bike is better, so I won't! Any of those bikes would be a waste for me to ride since I don't race anymore.

I did go to the Merckx web site because a poster said that Merckx is not into the carbon thing yet and the MXM would be just a go to bike. I'm not sure if I agree with that statement. Merckx claims that the carbon they use to build that frame is aerospace grade where I know that most if not all the others except for Trek's is not! Yet time and time again most people prefer the Treks ride over any one else's carbon bikes. I also know that Merckx frames in general prior to the MXM have all been on the stiff side rather the the more comfortable route that Colnago takes because Merckx expects their bikes to be raced whereas Colnago does not usually. It's kind of like a Porsche vs a Ferrari, the reason insurance cost is higher on a Porshe is because the insurance companies know that owners of Porshe's tend to drive their cars harder then most Ferrari owners who think of their cars more of an investment to be looked at and used for the weekend coast drive.

The Parlee doesn't do that eye candy thing for me at all, plus it doesn't have the classic cult following like Colnago or Merckx; but I'm not saying the Parlee is either superior or inferior to the other two.

Anyway there's my stupid thoughts for the day.

Johny
10-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Buy all of them and then make a new list.

The Spider
10-10-2005, 03:24 AM
at this level of the game, they are all great bikes....it's purely emotional.

so go the Colnago...it's what your heart is telling you.

and if pedalling around isn't paying your bills and putting food on your table then passion is what it's all about.