PDA

View Full Version : Volagi Viaje on Kickstarter

mhespenheide
09-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks to the post on urbanvelo (http://urbanvelo.org/), I saw the kickstarter project (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/874048428/the-viaje-bicycle-engineered-for-adventure) by Volagi for a new steel model they're calling the Viaje.

I did a search on the "General Discussion" forum here and only turned up this brief thread: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=115084&highlight=volagi.

As I looked through the other forums, I didn't find much more. What I did find seemed, frankly, a little dismissive of Volagi and, if anything, sympathetic to Specialized.

I'm curious. This project seems to be hitting all of the 'tick marks' for an interesting bike to add to the quiver: plenty of tire clearance, cross-capable, gravel-road-capable, nice-enough aesthetics... With the multiple threads talking about monstercross bikes or old Poprads, why hasn't anyone brought this bike up? (I apologize if I'm just missing an earlier thread...) Is it the approach via Kickstarter?

I'll admit, I'm awfully tempted by the XL version in cream. $600 for a frame and fork isn't low-end, but the tire clearance and the potential for shock absorption in the seatstays looks really intriguing to me. I almost wish it came with canti mounts, since I'm not too keen on getting into disc brakes, and I'm not too happy with a 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" taper fork (really? Another new option?).

What do you think?

http://volagi.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/640wide/VIAJE_XL1.jpg

rice rocket
09-27-2012, 05:01 PM
I agree, why is this on Kickstarter? If they're THAT tight on funds, where will they be in 3 years when you have a warranty claim?

tannhauser
09-27-2012, 07:06 PM
You guys forgot about the legal defense funds Volagi had to raise to ward of Specialized.

No one's brought it up because it's September. And the tubes are not level tt round ones.

I'll bet it rides great.

54ny77
09-27-2012, 07:52 PM
They need to come out with the Volagi Vajayjay.

Has a catchy ring to it.

mhespenheide
09-28-2012, 12:52 PM
No one's brought it up because it's September. And the tubes are not level tt round ones.

I'll bet it rides great.

I don't quite understand the "September" reference; seems like a bunch of people are looking at 'cross bikes or bikes designed for rough roads.

I didn't realize so many people prefer straight/level top tubes. I guess I've come around to the aesthetic of sloping (or even curved) top tubes. I mean, my current road bikes have horizontal TT's, but if I were to build a custom today, I'd go for a long exposed seatpost and sloping TT.

A friend of mine makes custom mountain bikes in Idyllwild, California, and has done some nice metalwork with curved top tubes. See this example of his personal bike (http://www.sirenbicycles.com/?p=2699).

As I said, just curious. If I end up picking one up, I'll post it over in "Production Bikes" once I get it built up.

tannhauser
09-28-2012, 01:37 PM
It's not a cross bike but a dirt road "adventure" bike. Can be ridden all weathers of course but winter is coming because it is Fall? Sorry to explain but it seems like you want me to.

After the solstice "people's" bike mania tends to subside unless they're crossers.

Anyway it's a bike for guys who don't care about the name on the dt. One has to make an effort to know it.

fiamme red
09-29-2012, 09:01 PM
They raised the money:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/874048428/the-viaje-bicycle-engineered-for-adventure

Peter B
09-29-2012, 09:08 PM
I kicked in for a red SL frameset. I've known and ridden with Barley and Robert for many years and this looks like a good foundation for an interesting project. I'll follow up next year after I get one and build it up.

mhespenheide
09-30-2012, 08:51 PM
I kicked in for a red SL frameset. I've known and ridden with Barley and Robert for many years and this looks like a good foundation for an interesting project. I'll follow up next year after I get one and build it up.

I thought long and hard about it, but ultimately decided against it -- only because I already have a 'cross frame that will fit wide tires and has a geometry similar to a road bike. I'm intrigued by their idea for the seatstays, but the width of the tire and subsequent lower air pressure seemed like it would be the bigger factor. If I didn't already have too many bikes...

I'm glad that the funding went through, though. I like seeing innovation in the bike marketplace.

I'll be interested to see/hear about your Viaje once you've ridden it a few times.

tannhauser
10-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Met a guy who works at Volagi, was riding his Liscio. He offered it to me as a test ride but I didn't have the shoes. Nice guy, turns out used to live fairly close. Anyway told me some intriguing things about the bike.

Looking at the video those guys are perfectly set up for the terrain they're riding. The tapered fork they're offering seems to theoretically offer a good shock absorption balance f/r versus a Domane, which has a very compliant seat mast vs. a fairly firm front, reportedly.

If I were in the market the kickin for the sl sounds extremely reasonable; I'd be all over this.

508HoF
10-01-2012, 04:21 PM
A comment to a question posed by Rice Rocket. First is Kickstarter an alternative to venture funding or a sales channel where people pre-purchase products. It's a little of both. Kickstarter does not want to be "a store". They try to ensure that only projects with risk are listed. But if your project is funded, Kickstart is about the lowest cost sales channel on the planet.

The Viaje Kickstarter produced ~$110K after all fees (my guess) which will fund the production ramp for a cool bike. The contributors will get a product at a discount. Future customers will pay a little more. It's win-win-win.

Thanks
Full disclosure: A friend of the company.

dekindy
10-01-2012, 08:39 PM
When I reviewed the kickstarted when the OP first started this thread they were 26% below the goal. Now they are way over the top in just a couple of days later. Glad to see it but surprising final spurt.

kevinvc
01-08-2013, 09:34 PM
I just got my Viaje XL frame and fork delivered today. It looks great and I can't wait to build it up and get it on the road. Once I have it completed I'll start a thread on it. I'm trying to balance my limited budget with my anticipated uses of the bike in deciding what components to buy.

More to come...

kevinvc
03-25-2013, 11:07 PM
The bike rides beautifully. Sadly though, I bought the wrong size frame and no amount of tinkering is ever going to make it fit properly. I've ridden it for under 100 miles on fire roads and pavement and love the way it feels. But it looks like we'll be parting ways. Look for it on the classifieds forum before too long. :(

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/kevinrvc/photo1_zpsf63f7e17.jpg

goonster
03-26-2013, 08:40 AM
This project seems to be hitting all of the 'tick marks' for an interesting bike to add to the quiver: plenty of tire clearance, cross-capable, gravel-road-capable, nice-enough aesthetics...
It's an interesting bike, and I'm rooting for Volagi, but the bikes lack "coolness" somehow. I am not a fan of those aesthetics.

The Salsa Warbird, for example, ticks these boxes and is much cooler, imho.

sc53
03-26-2013, 09:13 AM
I LOVE the looks of that frame! If you were not a "Kickstarter," is there any way to still buy one? Yours looks way too big for me, unfortunately. I would take a 50 or 53 cm.

dekindy
03-26-2013, 10:30 AM
I LOVE the looks of that frame! If you were not a "Kickstarter," is there any way to still buy one? Yours looks way too big for me, unfortunately. I would take a 50 or 53 cm.

Just go to the Volagi website.

Bostic
03-26-2013, 10:47 AM
I test rode the Viaje at Crank 2 in Pleasanton last year when they had a Volagi test/group ride. It rides like steel and handles like carbon. One of the founders, Barley, has been riding one all over. 200k Brevets, dirt roads, etc from his pictures on Facebook.

slidey
03-26-2013, 10:56 AM
The word, 'eyesore' comes to mind.

I am not a fan of those aesthetics.

kevinvc
03-26-2013, 11:52 AM
All in the eye of the beholder I guess. Personally, I think the aesthetics are really nice. It's definitely eye catching and I've gotten a lot of positive comments when I've had it out and around. Then again, people who think it's fugly probably wouldn't come up and tell me that directly.....

rice rocket
03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
I test rode the Viaje at Crank 2 in Pleasanton last year when they had a Volagi test/group ride. It rides like steel and handles like carbon. One of the founders, Barley, has been riding one all over. 200k Brevets, dirt roads, etc from his pictures on Facebook.

How exactly does carbon handle?

Bostic
03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
How exactly does carbon handle?

This was the bike I test rode back in July at Crank 2 on their Volagi day.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3835/img1465as.jpg

Chorus 11 speed but mated to 10 speed cassette, Parabox hydraulic, FSA 50/34

A block away from the shop is a nice 15% grade hill. Riding the bike up and down the hill and around the parking lot, it accelerated and handled like my carbon bikes (Pedal Force, Tarmac, Liscio) but the ride quality was the velvet feel of my Fuso. It felt a lot like my old Jamis Eclipse Steel/Carbon mix with a stiffer bottom bracket.

christian
03-26-2013, 12:40 PM
I think the paint is a little dull, but I'd ride the heck out of that some weekend in August up in Franklin County.