PDA

View Full Version : Stinky MTB/Cross Shoes: Need HELP!

Lovetoclimb
09-27-2012, 01:21 PM
After a grueling Three Peaks USA race my shoes have gone from tolerable to rank. It is hard to put them on the smell is so bad. I have tried washing with soapy dishwater, air dried, then put in the freezer overnight to kill the bacteria (works for JPOW . . . )

Still smelling quite foul. Few days of Odor Eaters spray thus far but that only ever seems to temporarily mask the smell, it always returns. So does anyone have a secret old school tip for cleaning and deodorizing their cycling shoes?

Thanks!

holliscx
09-27-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm guessing your race was this past weekend so 3 days+ wet and they smell like mildew. I would rinse them inside and out the minute you're home from your ride / races and either air dry outside or put a fan on them so they don't stay humid for days.

I abused my race shoes so much last year I just bought a second dedicated race pair. Also this way I won't have to wait until my shoes are dry to go riding.

AngryScientist
09-27-2012, 02:44 PM
two pairs of shoes are a must.

they wont stop smelling until they are completely dry. leave them out to bake in the sun. the heat will dry them out and the UV rays will kill the creepy crawlies.

BumbleBeeDave
09-27-2012, 03:25 PM
. . . comes from bacteria. Same as your B.O. Soak the shoes in a tub full of water that has had a significant amount of alchohol added to it. Kill the bacteria. but also keep in mind your socks and feet will have those same bacteria. so you'll need to do something about those, too.

Perhaps soak the socks, too, then drink the alchohol? :eek: :p

BBD

xjoex
09-27-2012, 04:24 PM
I do this with my commuter shoes...

I poor bleach on rags, then stuff them in the shoes for about 30 minutes, wash out, then set in the sun to dry.

-Joe

bart998
09-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Wash in Lysol then use Gold Bond powder in the shoes after every ride... I use Gold Bond in every pair of shoes I own.. shoes always smell good and I haven't had athletes foot in years.

tiretrax
09-27-2012, 04:53 PM
They must go in the freezer for more than a few days. I had a pair of boots get stinky, and I left them in the freezer for a month. No problem. I put some tennis shoes in for 3 days, and it didn't work. I just read that the sun's UV rays also work wonders, but that hasn't worked for me because the rays don't reach all the way inside the shoes.