PDA

View Full Version : Anyone changed SRAM Red BB bearings?

DerekB
09-27-2012, 12:07 PM
I mean changed the bearings inside the cups. I just ordered the kit from Boca Bearings, I think there may be three bearings required. Is the non drive side bearing twice the depth of the drive side?
I will take the cranks off tomorrow to check again, just thought I would check here first!

AngryScientist
09-27-2012, 12:35 PM
interesting. i have a sram bb that is getting a little crunchy. i was going to just replace the cups/bearings for another $30 part. what are the advantages of replacing just the bearings - better bearings, better seals, cheaper??

i think its pretty widely believed that sram outboard bb's are pretty crappy, from a longevity standpoint, which is ironic because of sram's popularity on the cx scene, interested if there is another good option short of buying a chris king or phil wood ultra pricey bb....??

DerekB
09-27-2012, 11:30 PM
I see the SRAM Red BB going for $200 with the ceramic bearings. The bearing replacement kit from Boca is $100; for ceramic hybrid bearings. But I'm not sure it is complete or correct; the Boca kit has two identical looking bearings. I believe the non drive side may be a different ID and also may be twice as wide as the drive side.
I will take a look tomorrow and see.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2012, 08:02 AM
I mean changed the bearings inside the cups. I just ordered the kit from Boca Bearings, I think there may be three bearings required. Is the non drive side bearing twice the depth of the drive side?
I will take the cranks off tomorrow to check again, just thought I would check here first!

Just did this. The LH one has a stepped insert for the 22mm LH spindle end. I use a Phil Wood tool kit to bang the old bearings out, new ones in..pretty simple, with the tool kit.

BUT the bearings were Enduro, not Boca and steel.

DerekB
09-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Great, thanks Old Potatoe.
Are Enduro bearings better than my Boca steel/ceramic?
I don't have the Phil Wood kit, but I think I can find something to bang with! Also, wouldn't heating the cups for a little bit at 350 or so loosen them?

DerekB
09-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Well, my Boca bearings are the wrong size. My BB had 25 x 37 x 7 mm on the drive side and 25 x 37 x 8 on the non drive side. I cannot find a 25 x 37 x 8 anywhere.
So, looks like new BB time. Especially now that the old bearings have been "tapped" out twice and reinstalled.
Any suggestions? I'm thinking King or Enduro.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Well, my Boca bearings are the wrong size. My BB had 25 x 37 x 7 mm on the drive side and 25 x 37 x 8 on the non drive side. I cannot find a 25 x 37 x 8 anywhere.
So, looks like new BB time. Especially now that the old bearings have been "tapped" out twice and reinstalled.
Any suggestions? I'm thinking King or Enduro.

See PM, QBP has a bearing kit. Have yer LBS order that. As for 'better', I think both use pretty mild steel(not uber-hardened) for their cups and cones and, along with ceramic bearings, can have a shorter life than just all stainless steel...cheaper also.