PDA

View Full Version : best 32H clincher rim?

tv_vt
10-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Hi,

I'm about to get my rear wheel rebuilt and am looking for comments on the best clincher rim. I have a 32H DuraAce hub and am going to use Sapim CX Ray spokes, 3X both sides. I weigh 180 and live in Vermont (>> hilly!). Am looking for aero, comfort, durability, not carbon, and not too heavy. (The old rim/spokes is Open Pro CD with DT Revolutions.)

Some contenders: another Open Pro, CXP33, DT R1.1. What might I be overlooking?

Thanks!

Thom

sc53
10-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Velocity Aerohead--contact Lyle at spinlitecycling.com for a good price. He also sells other rims.

dirtdigger88
10-07-2005, 02:02 PM
I have both open pros and DT- love em both

Jason

Dekonick
10-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Velocity Aerohead rocks.

Fixed
10-07-2005, 02:52 PM
bro I have a cxp 33 d.a. wheelset it is a nice trouble free wheelset but I like my d.a.reflex tubulars a lot better. cheers :beer:

Kevin
10-07-2005, 07:19 PM
I have been very happy with the Velocity Aeroheads as well.

Kevin

Brian Smith
10-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Hi,

I'm about to get my rear wheel rebuilt and am looking for comments on the best clincher rim. I have a 32H DuraAce hub and am going to use Sapim CX Ray spokes, 3X both sides. I weigh 180 and live in Vermont (>> hilly!). Am looking for aero, comfort, durability, not carbon, and not too heavy. (The old rim/spokes is Open Pro CD with DT Revolutions.)

Thanks!

Thom

Consider the CR-18 with DT 2.0 right side, Revolution left side. Aerodynamics make such little difference on a _rear_rim_ that to prioritize 'aero' over anything at all else is, imo, silly. OK not silly, pick a nicer word. Comfort is much more a factor of tire size and inflation pressure than rim choice, and a slightly wider rim is a better choice for a slightly wider tire (say 25mm), so the CR-18 would be a nice complement. Durability is a high point for the CR-18, it has no carbon fiber, and is not too heavy for what you get. It would help build a substantially more durable wheel than the Open Pro CD. Get it laced up in time for the L.A.M.B!

Ken Robb
10-07-2005, 07:45 PM
I like OP rims--don't like aero rims due to their crosswind sensitivity and extra perimeter weight. I don't think aero benefits are very important on back wheels anyway. I would go with Open Pro, especially if it matches your front wheel.

Jeff N.
10-07-2005, 08:42 PM
I like OP rims--don't like aero rims due to their crosswind sensitivity and extra perimeter weight. I don't think aero benefits are very important on back wheels anyway. I would go with Open Pro, especially if it matches your front wheel.I agree with Ken...Open Pros all the way. Just a wonderful rim. Jeff N.

saab2000
10-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Velocity Aerohead, especially with the offset spoking on the rear wheel.

pdxmech13
10-08-2005, 09:53 PM
bontrager 455. used them all last winter and not a single squeak out of em. Can't tell you how many people have complains about noises from open's. best part about bont's is there only 40.00

Vancouverdave
10-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Another vote here for Aerohead OC as a rear rim. Sapim spokes are good and my favorite rear lacing for customers under 200 lbs. is to use 14/15/14's on the right side and Laser 14/17/14's on the left and both front sides.
Also, look at Ambrosio's Excellence and Excellight rims--expensive but good.

froze
10-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Also, look at Ambrosio's Excellence and Excellight rims--expensive but good.

The Ambrosio Excellence or the Excellight are very good rims at least equal to the Mavic OP's for less money then a Mavic. The Ambrosio comes only in black, if silver is the color you want then Torelli Master Series (made by Ambrosio) would be the same sort of rim as the Mavic but again an equal for less money. Both of these rims are used by a lot of Euro pros as training wheels and on the Roubiax.

I have the Torelli's laced with DT Revolution on the front and DT Competition on the rear (forget the gauge); but these rims have over 35,000 miles and still going strong with rarely a need to true them even slightly.

shaq-d
10-09-2005, 03:46 AM
going to use Sapim CX Ray spokes, 3X both sides.

not much to add, but thought i'd let u know i've recently built an open pro wheel, older late 90s NOS campy chorus hub, with sapim 15/14 spokes. it's very soild and nice.

truth be told though, i can't tell teh diff between these new open pros and my other old rims (ambrosio and campy omega). i just like the open pros cause they are very easy to put tires on.

sd

rePhil
10-09-2005, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=froze]The Ambrosio Excellence or the Excellight are very good rims at least equal to the Mavic OP's for less money then a Mavic.

Anyone know a source for Ambrosio?

The Spider
10-10-2005, 03:18 AM
Give Eric at Ergott Wheels a note, I dropped him one a couple of weeks ago and he was looking into the Ambrosio stock for me.

ergott@netscape.net

I believe the Excellight is available in black and silver, 32h and 28h as well.

I have the black and they are a wonderful rim, I actually paid alot more than an OP but still consider them worth it. They are so good I will get another pair when I buy some Zipp rims from Ergott Wheels.

spider

PsyDoc
10-10-2005, 07:32 AM
The weight on the front Aerohead has been way off...in the range of 450-460 grams due to Velocity's die getting old. They are supposed to be in the process of changing them and due out next year back to the 405-410 gram range. The Velocity Aerohead rear's are still in the 405-415 range.