PDA

View Full Version : New 'cross bike: Anything else I need?

Lewis Moon
09-26-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm going to be getting a Lemond Poprad in a couple of days and wanted some suggestions on the minutia if the build.
It's basically going to have 2005(ish) Campy Record/Chorus components, 3T Rotundo bars, Aliante seat, Mavic/Velocity wheels...
I'm building it up as more of a gravel grinder.
Question: What do you do with the bare cable on the top tube? For some reason I envision a catastrophic self neutering when I think of the inevitable crash.
Does anyone run a chain catcher?
Any problems with the aluminum fork that comes with it?

Any tricky little secrets for setting up the perfect fire road bomber?

Dave B
09-26-2012, 11:24 AM
looks good.

With regards to the cables, you could always try to run full length housing.

I chose the GORE ride on set up and the cables are sealed in a p-lastic like sheath. Helped keep the cables clean for a long time as well as made them less scratchy on the paint.

Go with mini-v brakes, but that is more of something I love (actually stopping).

post up some pics, should look great. It was wise to choose Campy. ;)

Chain catcher isn't a bad idea.

Also if you worry about paint, put a think clear film strip on the bottom of the DT.

GRAVELBIKE
09-26-2012, 11:29 AM
N'Gear Jump Stop chain watcher.
Jagwire nosed ferrules and liner to protect paint/cables.
Good/secure bottle cages.

christian
09-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Good parts spec. Matches my Zanc closely. Rotundos are fawkin' great.

Top cables take those little black donuts. I use 3 per cable on mine.
Lots of people run chain catchers - K-Edge seem popular. For me, using a 2-ring set up with 10 teeth difference between chainrings, it doesn't seem necessary.
I run the seat 5mm lower than my road bike, but that's for racing. Riding gravel roads, I would run it at the same height.
The Fizik bar tape is very easy to clean; I like the grippiness of the Zipp rubber stuff though.

Kupe
09-26-2012, 12:11 PM
I've got a Poprad that I'm setting up more as a gravel bike. Running 1x9 so I've got a Jump Stop chain watcher. I've never had a problem with the cables rubbing, or otherwise castrating myself, but that's up to you. I would agree with going with v-brakes. The fork is pretty prone to shuttering under braking. A fork-mounted cable hanger might be a good fix there, too.

I recently had mine for sale, since the fit just seemed off a bit, and am glad I decided to keep it. I put on a straight seat post, ILO a setback one, and some 35c Vittoria Randonneurs, and now love it! Might try some Clement X'Plor 40's after the others wear out.

Lastly, enjoy the hell out of it. It's a great ride!

Lewis Moon
09-26-2012, 01:03 PM
I've got a Poprad that I'm setting up more as a gravel bike. Running 1x9 so I've got a Jump Stop chain watcher. I've never had a problem with the cables rubbing, or otherwise castrating myself, but that's up to you. I would agree with going with v-brakes. The fork is pretty prone to shuttering under braking. A fork-mounted cable hanger might be a good fix there, too.

I recently had mine for sale, since the fit just seemed off a bit, and am glad I decided to keep it. I put on a straight seat post, ILO a setback one, and some 35c Vittoria Randonneurs, and now love it! Might try some Clement X'Plor 40's after the others wear out.

Lastly, enjoy the hell out of it. It's a great ride!

This brings up two questions: Tires: I plan to eventually run two sets of wheels, one for gravel ane one for road, but until then, I need an "all round" tire. I'll be doing more pavement than gravel unless I specifically aim for gravel, so I'd like an all-rounder that has decent rolling resistance and comes in a 28-32 size. I've been following the Pasela thread here....
Second: Fork: I don't know how much I like aluminum forks. Call it superstition, but I've never been a fan. I'm thinking of going with a Nature Boy steel canti fork. Price is right and it's gorgeous. Any other suggestions?

mistermo
09-26-2012, 01:14 PM
I've had a bit of experience with Poprads (inside joke). I agree with you on the fork. The alu fork is meh. Besides the NB fork, a Surly XCheck fork, which can be found rather cheaply, is a good option. Poprads use a standard 45mm rake, so even if you want to go carbon someday, there are plenty of choices.

The cable routing of a Poprad is not across the top tube like many cross bikes. So extra donut things aren't needed.

I found the head tube to be short and maxed out the spacers and got a stem with a good amount of rise.

Pasela's would likely be my choice too, for the riding you describe. I've used Ritchey Speedmax Cross tires for years for all 'round use and like them. Vittoria XN's are worth considering too.

DRZRM
09-26-2012, 01:16 PM
As far as covering exposed cables on the top tube, if I'm not running full length lined cables (Nokon or JagWire) I cut a length of JagWire cable liner (http://www.amazon.com/Jagwire-Black-Housing-Liner-Cables/dp/B0029LF1XO/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1348683060&sr=8-16&keywords=cable+liner) just short of the gap between the stops on the top tube and feed the cable through it. It both looks and works better than those little rubber donuts at preventing scratches.

This stuff.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MX2nil1jL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just picked up a Alpha Q CX20 from Gary at IF for like $175 through a post at V-Salon. May want to see if there are any left.

tuscanyswe
09-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Good idea with the liner. Think im gonna steal that.

Lewis Moon
09-26-2012, 01:41 PM
I've had a bit of experience with Poprads (inside joke). I agree with you on the fork. The alu fork is meh. Besides the NB fork, a Surly XCheck fork, which can be found rather cheaply, is a good option. Poprads use a standard 45mm rake, so even if you want to go carbon someday, there are plenty of choices.

The cable routing of a Poprad is not across the top tube like many cross bikes. So extra donut things aren't needed.

I found the head tube to be short and maxed out the spacers and got a stem with a good amount of rise.

Pasela's would likely be my choice too, for the riding you describe. I've used Ritchey Speedmax Cross tires for years for all 'round use and like them. Vittoria XN's are worth considering too.

Where does said Poprad run the rear brake cable?

christian
09-26-2012, 01:42 PM
That's clever. I'm going to do that too.

robin3mj
09-26-2012, 01:48 PM
shameless self promotion but there just might be a Salsa cx fork in the classifieds if you wanted to step away from the aluminum one you've got now...

DfCas
09-26-2012, 02:07 PM
My 06 Poprad came with a fork thats longer than the normal 395 axle-crown. I think it was 414, which limits your options. The Bontrager satellite plus was 405 and I'm using that with a Chris King riser base plate to get to 410 or so.

The 05 may be different, however.

Lewis Moon
09-26-2012, 02:15 PM
shameless self promotion but there just might be a Salsa cx fork in the classifieds if you wanted to step away from the aluminum one you've got now...

Saw that...short steerer or I'd be all over it.

deanster
09-26-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm going to be getting a Lemond Poprad in a couple of days and wanted some suggestions on the minutia if the build.
It's basically going to have 2005(ish) Campy Record/Chorus components, 3T Rotundo bars, Aliante seat, Mavic/Velocity wheels...
I'm building it up as more of a gravel grinder.
Question: What do you do with the bare cable on the top tube? For some reason I envision a catastrophic self neutering when I think of the inevitable crash.
Does anyone run a chain catcher?
Any problems with the aluminum fork that comes with it?

Any tricky little secrets for setting up the perfect fire road bomber?

You got a great bike. The Poprad is a fantastic steel bike. The campy setup is perfect. I am able to use either a wheel with a campy cassette or I can switch over to a Shimano wheel (11-34 cassette) with a small adjustment of the limit screws (does require a long cage campy RD). You will find that 2 sets of wheels one with road tires and and a second with CX tires will give you great flexibility but, make sure you have the same width rim (break adj). The bike is a great one for road rides.
I find a chain catcher prevents shifting "accidents" when riding aggressive trails (I learned the hard way). The suggestion for the small donuts will help the paint but, no worries about self mutilation (if it keeps you up at night use a section of cable by all means. You can replace the fork with a ritchey carbon or a surly cross check fork. I have a surly setup for Touring on the my bike. The use of Mini Vs is a good idea...great stopping power and no chatter. The only strong suggestion I have would be to get a longer seatpost clamp bolt and back up the threaded Al in the clamp with an SS bolt preferrably a nyloc. The clamp is the only weakness the bike had. Good luck. Deanster

mistermo
09-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Where does said Poprad run the rear brake cable?

Top tube. But unlike other cross bikes, the derailleur cables are along the downtube rather than the top tube.

Most cross bikes have all three sets of cables along the top tube to allow you to grab the downtube (without fouling cables) when you are hurdling the barriers. The Poprad was designed with 'typical' road, rather than cross, cable routing.

dougf
09-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Top tube. But unlike other cross bikes, the derailleur cables are along the downtube rather than the top tube.

Most cross bikes have all three sets of cables along the top tube to allow you to grab the downtube (without fouling cables) when you are hurdling the barriers. The Poprad was designed with 'typical' road, rather than cross, cable routing.

Not too uncommon - I had a Scott and an Empella with derailleur cables routed on the DT, for less cable friction and crisper shifting.
If you do go with cantilevers instead of V brakes, I'd recommend a fork mounted cable stop instead of one on the steerer, it makes a big difference in reducing fork chatter.

tuscanyswe
09-26-2012, 04:42 PM

Poprad also has the der cablestops on the headtube wich is a pita on a cross since the cantis have exposed brakewire at the end so if you turn your wheel to much the brakewire will hit your derailleurcables and engage the brake for you. Not really a problem while you are up to speed since you mostly lean to turn then but at very low speed it can be a suprise.. Id go with trp 9.0 brakes to get around that if i was building up a poprad.

I think poprads are an exellent do it all bike.

mistermo
09-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Poprad also has the der cablestops on the headtube wich is a pita on a cross since the cantis have exposed brakewire at the end so if you turn your wheel to much the brakewire will hit your derailleurcables and engage the brake for you. Not really a problem while you are up to speed since you mostly lean to turn then but at very low speed it can be a suprise.. Id go with trp 9.0 brakes to get around that if i was building up a poprad.

I think poprads are an exellent do it all bike.

Sorry, I don't follow. The der. cable stops are on the downtube.

tuscanyswe
09-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Sorry, I don't follow. The der. cable stops are on the downtube.

Ah good for you then you wont run in to that issue. My poprad had the stops on the headtube.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2763/4257811488_aa4a037b55_z.jpg

mistermo
09-26-2012, 05:14 PM
That's a good lookin' bike!

tuscanyswe
09-26-2012, 05:17 PM
That's a good lookin' bike!

Thanks, i agree. Dont have it anymore. Was a nice riding bike too!

Fixed
09-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Ah good for you then you wont run in to that issue. My poprad had the stops on the headtube.

That is one great looking bike as good looking as any x bike that I have seen
Cheers

that guy
09-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Stock fork? I thought the canti bikes came with steel forks and the disc bikes with carbon? Never seen an alloy one.

I regret selling the one I had.

Lewis Moon
09-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Seems like everybody loves and reveres this bike. A teenage kid was just over looking at the Paramount I have for sale, and when I told him what I was getting, he just nodded and said "sweet bike".

Have I just bought into a cult?

jmeloy
09-26-2012, 08:17 PM

My Strong Dirt Road and I'm putting on some Trp 9's this weekend to eliminate that issue.

rwsaunders
09-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Yes...we are a cult...

Steve in SLO
09-26-2012, 09:07 PM
We all...Poprad

mistermo
09-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Speaking of cults, I've had a Bridgestone RBT and also an XO-1. I'll take the Poprad any day over either of those.

Gummee
09-27-2012, 07:51 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8042/8027769247_5732de221a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gummee/8027769247/)
The FTB in full-on poseur mode.

M

Lewis Moon
09-27-2012, 08:03 AM
We all...Poprad

Are thos Paul mini levers I see? If not, who else makes those?