View Full Version : Customs

dana_e
09-26-2012, 10:03 AM
I got charges customs

What triggers customs, cause it has never happened before on orders

any thoughts???

AngryScientist
09-26-2012, 10:07 AM
its been hit or miss for me over the years. usually bigger boxes from the UK, like wheels.

EricEstlund
09-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Whats in the box is what triggers customs.

Depending on your boxes contents and who the shipper was, sometimes they switch the code at the receiving port, and not always accurately. This sometimes happens to me if the person doesn't understand the differences between bike parts and frame parts.

If there was an error it can usually be handled with a simple phone call.

Take a look- odds are it's in here: Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm).

christian
09-26-2012, 11:21 AM
What Eric says is technically correct, but I'd also say that I only get charged customs on a small portion of what should be dutied when shipped.

So the better question may be, why do I pay so few customs tariffs?

EricEstlund
09-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Indeed. I think big boxes usually look more interesting the small ones. Big and heavy boxed even more so.

jr59
09-26-2012, 11:27 AM
I got charges customs

What triggers customs, cause it has never happened before on orders

any thoughts???

The simple truth is that we should pay customs on things bought overseas.

I know, many times we don't. But for the few we do, I can live with it!

EricEstlund
09-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Indeed. I think big boxes usually look more interesting the small ones. Big and heavy boxed even more so.

CunegoFan
09-26-2012, 11:40 AM
The one time I got hit was with a big box. The funny thing is that the customs agent was under the impression that the box contained motorcycle parts.

jmoore
09-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Luck of the draw.

yakstone
09-26-2012, 06:05 PM
I guess I am the odd man out. I got hit with the smaller boxes. Got dinged for a Brooks Saddle to the tune of $40.

Overall though the odds have been pretty good so I am not complaining.

bikinchris
09-26-2012, 08:26 PM
I got charged customs for a friggin Campy T-shirt I bought years ago. I can't wear that shirt. It cost too much.

djg
09-27-2012, 11:25 AM
The simple truth is that we should pay customs on things bought overseas.

I know, many times we don't. But for the few we do, I can live with it!

Well, there's a customs table that assigns different rates to different types of products, and certain types of bike components aren't necessarily supposed to be subject to duties on import (at least not in small quantities).

I do think it can sometimes be a sort of luck of the draw question. The categories are not always crystal clear, how the product, as described, fits a category is not always crystal clear, and who is thinking what at the border . . . well, I dunno. I don't see any reason we should be happy to pay money that's not due -- OTOH, fighting any particular assessment may not be worth the candle.

LJohnny
09-27-2012, 11:45 AM
I guess I am the odd man out. I got hit with the smaller boxes. Got dinged for a Brooks Saddle to the tune of $40.

Overall though the odds have been pretty good so I am not complaining.

Did you buy it directly from Brooks? The reason I ask is because they send their parcels DDP (delivery duty paid). So in theory, it has been taken care of by them and you as the recipient should not have been charged duty. The shipping paperwork should state DDP.

Rada
09-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Declared value can result in Custom duties or not. Also there are high tariff rates on textiles.

Rada
09-27-2012, 12:34 PM
The one time I got hit was with a big box. The funny thing is that the customs agent was under the impression that the box contained motorcycle parts.

That was probably the fault of the Customs Broker. Unless Customs did an actual inspection the Broker assigns the tariff classification on the entry docs.

victoryfactory
09-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Arbitrary enforcement of overly complex regulations.

It's what we do!

- US Customs