PDA

View Full Version : Quick Picture from my ride Tonight

MattTuck
09-25-2012, 07:44 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SPK0x2TTQ4g/UGJPADGb-BI/AAAAAAAACKg/A1M5Ff_ugb8/s912/IMG_1468.JPG

Anyone who followed my post about my personal goal of riding every road in Hanover, NH, I am moving toward completion of that task. Here's a picture from my ride tonight, in which I checked off a bunch of dead ends.

There is one pretty interesting thing that I've noticed doing this challenge. The older roads (the ones that actually connect stuff, and are not just developments) all seem to do a much better job of following the contours of the landscape. There might be hills here and there, but for the most part, they minimize the hills.

I guess when you have to walk, or have your horses pull a wagon everywhere, you pay better attention to making the roads as flat as possible. The few spots where there are steep hills on those old roads, it doesn't seem like they had much choice without some sort of extended detour.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

bluesea
09-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Neat!

Louis
09-25-2012, 08:41 PM
I did not want to reveal his secret, but in reality this is how Matt is doing all the roads in Hanover. (He's the one relaxing.)

tv_vt
09-25-2012, 09:26 PM
And which one of those 'draft horses' would be you, Louis?

Chariots of Fire? Oh wait, that's St Andrews. Wrong continent.

MT - what road are we looking at in the pic? Not enough details to guess.

Louis
09-25-2012, 09:33 PM

I've unfortunately put on a few pounds since my days in Hanover, and they aren't all muscle in my legs. (But I'd like to think that I'm a better cardiovascular shape today than I was back then, since I really didn't do much other than study and occasionally play beer pong and quarters in fraternity basements.)

MattTuck
09-25-2012, 09:35 PM

Chariots of Fire? Oh wait, that's St Andrews. Wrong continent.

MT - what road are we looking at in the pic? Not enough details to guess.

That's a picture looking up Dogford road, on the first hill, if you ride it in the CLOCKWISE direction. It's headed up to that farm on the hill.