PDA

View Full Version : OT: Torn Meniscus

bart998
09-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Got my MRI results today. Compound tear of the medial meniscus. I guess surgery is in my future. If some of you have had the same thing, how long did it take to heal after the surgery so you could ride again?

rnhood
09-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Sorry to hear this. The meniscus may not fully heal, depending on where it's torn. Your doctor will be your best resource for returning to active sports and cycling. Lot of variables with injuries like this - especially associated with a joint.

Henceforth treat those knees with extra kindness.

celeste
09-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Compound as in you tore the medial meniscus and what else? PCL? MCL? ACL? LCL? How old are you? How'd you tear it? It could be a matter of weeks or 4 months depending on what else is injured.

terry
09-25-2012, 08:31 PM
knees scoped-walked that day and was riding, albeit gingerly, within a week. of course, i was a much younger guy at the time-i think around 30-so i recovered much faster than i would now, i'm sure.

GregL
09-25-2012, 08:57 PM
I had a bucket handle tear of my right lateral meniscus at age 42. My orthopedic surgeon (competitive road/cyclocross rider, occasional triathlete) removed about 1/3 of the meniscus and cleaned up some other wear in the joint. From the time I walked into the surgery center until I walked out (no crutches) was just 4.5 hours. I took it easy for about 3-4 days, keeping the leg iced and elevated. I then started PT, which went on for about 6 weeks. I started riding gently at 10 days post-surgery. By three weeks post-surgery, I could sustain hard training efforts and longer (50 mile) rides. By the six week mark, I completed a century with no significant soreness. By ten weeks, I was back to racing. It took about six months to get full range of motion and be able to kneel on the repaired knee. Six years later, the knee is still holding up well with no issues. Good luck on yours!

- Greg

Ken Robb
09-25-2012, 09:25 PM
I tore one and didn't believe it. I kept playing tennis, swelling, icing, resting it, playing tennis, etc. By the time I had surgery the rough torn bits had roughed up the surfaces the meniscus is supposed to cushion.

After recovery I tore the other one the first time I played tennis. Since I was familiar with that feeling I was in surgery three days later and the recovery was much quicker.

In both cases easy spinning on my bike was recommended for recovery. I forget the exact time of each recovery but it was weeks not days.

eddief
09-25-2012, 10:16 PM
thinking i was going to need a second surgery on one of mine. so lucky that whatever i thought was another tear seemed to heal itself and no issues at this time.

bart998
09-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Compound as in you tore the medial meniscus and what else? PCL? MCL? ACL? LCL? How old are you? How'd you tear it? It could be a matter of weeks or 4 months depending on what else is injured.

Sorry, I was a bit shocked at the time and didn't ask for a full explanation of "compound." I go back on monday and will ask. I'm 52 years old.

bart998
09-25-2012, 10:54 PM
I had a bucket handle tear of my right lateral meniscus at age 42. My orthopedic surgeon (competitive road/cyclocross rider, occasional triathlete) removed about 1/3 of the meniscus and cleaned up some other wear in the joint. From the time I walked into the surgery center until I walked out (no crutches) was just 4.5 hours. I took it easy for about 3-4 days, keeping the leg iced and elevated. I then started PT, which went on for about 6 weeks. I started riding gently at 10 days post-surgery. By three weeks post-surgery, I could sustain hard training efforts and longer (50 mile) rides. By the six week mark, I completed a century with no significant soreness. By ten weeks, I was back to racing. It took about six months to get full range of motion and be able to kneel on the repaired knee. Six years later, the knee is still holding up well with no issues. Good luck on yours!

- Greg

Whew! I hope I'm this lucky.

echelon_john
09-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Very similar experience to GregL last fall. Tore the meniscus the day before Halloween; surgery on about November 10th, PT, riding by the 20th on trainer, skiing mid-December being slightly cautious, 100% mobility/use/effort in activities by about February 1. Much better results than I anticipated.

Good luck with yours.
JC

- Greg

mercretas
09-26-2012, 07:57 AM
I tore the meniscus in my right knee about a year ago - confirmed by an orthopedic surgeon with an MRI. I lived with it for a few months before consulting an orthopedic surgeon and during that time it was pretty sore after I ran. By the time I had my follow-up appointment with the surgeon, I could usually run on it for shorter distances or bike without pain or soreness. Given the the surgery would have removed a significant portion of the meniscus and the fact that the pain seemed to be reducing, I decided to defer surgery to see if things would continue improving. I'm pretty young (35) and didn't like the idea of removing so much cartilage - I figured I'd probably be setting myself up for a knee replacement later. I also worked on strengthening my knee with weight training, which I think has helped by stabilizing the knee. Now, about a year later, I'm symptom free. I say this not to try to steer you away from surgery, but to discuss all your options with your doctor. In some cases, not treating it can make the issue worse, but I wouldn't necessarily go into it thinking that surgery is your only option.

gordieax
09-26-2012, 12:17 PM
To answer the o p's concern about riding, it's been my experience that with 2 weeks post surgery you'll be able to ride lightly for approx. 30 minutes and if all is well you'll progress easily from there. I've had 3 scopes due to 4 meniscus tears from running. The first tear @ age 20 kind of healed itself and never had the surgery. 30 years later @ age 50 on 2nd tear, same knee, surgeon removed first and recent (2nd) torn pieces. Two subsequent meniscus tears and related surgeries left me w/ no cartilage on outside of one knee; no more running ,now biking. I'm no doc but there's is something to be said for trying to limit the amount of cartilage that is removed via surgery especially if knee can heal itself.IMHO, the best docs after seeing MRI will use the most conservative treatment.

bart998
09-26-2012, 04:53 PM
I tore the meniscus in my right knee about a year ago - confirmed by an orthopedic surgeon with an MRI. I lived with it for a few months before consulting an orthopedic surgeon and during that time it was pretty sore after I ran. By the time I had my follow-up appointment with the surgeon, I could usually run on it for shorter distances or bike without pain or soreness. Given the the surgery would have removed a significant portion of the meniscus and the fact that the pain seemed to be reducing, I decided to defer surgery to see if things would continue improving. I'm pretty young (35) and didn't like the idea of removing so much cartilage - I figured I'd probably be setting myself up for a knee replacement later. I also worked on strengthening my knee with weight training, which I think has helped by stabilizing the knee. Now, about a year later, I'm symptom free. I say this not to try to steer you away from surgery, but to discuss all your options with your doctor. In some cases, not treating it can make the issue worse, but I wouldn't necessarily go into it thinking that surgery is your only option.

Thanks, I have my consult with the orthopedist on Monday. Then maybe I'll have more info.