PDA

View Full Version : Ventoux on 2012 Tour--and other attractions

BumbleBeeDave
09-25-2012, 05:54 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-ventoux-and-two-ascents-of-lalpe-dhuez-for-2013-tour-de-france

Ventoux . . . (yawn) . . . Been there, done that, got the jersey. ;) :D

(Yes, I admit it--I'm insufferable!)

And TWO times up Alpe d'Huez for those crazy pros.

Now how do I get over there again for next year's?

BBD

torquer
09-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Twice up the Alpe!
With twice the action, you'll probably need to camp out a week ahead before the stage to get a spot. And you'll need to bring that much more beer:beer:

Let's see how the riders' times compare with each passage. And the, ahem, enthusiasm of the fans.

bikerboy337
09-25-2012, 10:34 AM
should be a fun day to watch.....having contador should liven things up a bit next year i'd say...

Llewellyn
09-25-2012, 04:57 PM
TBH I'm bored with Alpe D'Huez as a TDF climb but it's good to see Ventoux back (if the rumours are right). I wish the Tour organisers would get over this fixation they seem to have about using the same climbs repeatedly.

They should set themselves a target to use one or two new (or infrequently used) climbs each year. Or at least rotate the major climbs so that they only go up them say, every 3 - 5 years.

1centaur
09-25-2012, 05:37 PM
I love the 2x Alpe idea. Have we ever seen the Tour GC contenders NOT do the Alpe as hard as they could? The tactical question of how to ride up once and then again without a team that can really do that well with a GC leader will be very interesting. Any double HC at the finish would be unusual, but the same HC? Not clear from the story if the second time is the same route up, which might be problematical if lapping were involved. And burning out the legs before an uphill TT would also be interesting. Sprinters with green jersey aspirations will be groaning at the prospect. My fear is that the first time up the Alpe would be a procession for the GC leaders while they let a break go because the risk of isolation in up, down, up is great. Therein lies the opportunity for, "no, he can't really think he'll stay away, can he?" That victory could be a career maker.