PDA

View Full Version : S&S in Czech Rep and Austria

mdeeds71
09-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Trip was for 8 days flying into Munich then driving to Prague and then finally to Kaprun Austria.

Took the IF CJ that I had S&S done by Bilenky. It is equiped with Campy Chorus 11, Deda, and Fulcrum 1s. No issues with travel experienced other than the an issue getting my handlebars into the case...decided to carry them in my roller bag I took onboard.

My riding was constrained in that my wife was with me and I only had about every other day to ride and only about 1-2 hours.

60 miles total on the days
5700 ft of climbing

First ride was from Prague to Karlstejn Castle.

mdeeds71
09-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Next two rides were in a ski village, Kaprun Austria. First ride was up to a small restaurant that overlooked Zell am See and its lake...awesome climbing with one stretch of 5 miles at 11% the whole time and one gradient of 24% that lasted long enough for me to decide to take a photo once it leveled out back to 10-11%

Second ride was up into the valley the town was in to a point where a restaurant was located on the entrance to get to two glacier dams at around 2100 meters.

One photo for the post ride celebrations! and the wife caught me warming up as on the last ride...I finished on a hill that was 38-40 degress F then descended hitting 51mph and nearly froze! Thus she found me in the city center where it was 60ish and I was pulling a lizard sun bathing act.

AngryScientist
09-24-2012, 07:35 PM
[x] like

choke
09-24-2012, 08:03 PM
You might not have gotten a lot of quantity (miles) but it sure looks like the quality couldn't be beat. I love the road to the castle and the pic of the valley.

Nags&Ducs
09-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for sharing. Incredibly beautiful area. I'm in southern Germany and am close to the Swiss border. I need to find more places like the ones you just showed.

CaptStash
09-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Great pics. I'm hoping to ride in Europe soon with my Bilenky coupled bike. Curious as to the issue of getting your bars in the box. I have a 57cm frame and even find room for a Pedros floor pump in there. Are you leaving the cranks on? that's the only thing I can think of that might be enough different. I specifically chose FSA cranks with a self extracting bolt for just that reason.

CaptStash....

mdeeds71
09-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Great pics. I'm hoping to ride in Europe soon with my Bilenky coupled bike. Curious as to the issue of getting your bars in the box. I have a 57cm frame and even find room for a Pedros floor pump in there. Are you leaving the cranks on? that's the only thing I can think of that might be enough different. I specifically chose FSA cranks with a self extracting bolt for just that reason.

CaptStash....

Taking everything off to include the crank. I think the issue is how high the hoods are on the bars. I have to separate as well the fork from the forward part of the frame this thus leaving me less space on the bottom to fit the wheel in properly at an angle The other issue is the Fulcrum 1s with the bladed spokes are very specific on where they are located. I still get my shoes and all riding clothing, and tools in but not the helmet. I have marked where there is contact on the wheels with the bike parts and how they all line up and found that the spokes contact the left rear chainstay with more force than I would like it to so as not to take it out of true.

If you have pics on your packing...please send them...would like to get this straight.