the fork is

1- too short
2-too ugly ( IMO )

Thinking of a steel fork with:

a- straight blades/silver
b-curved blades/silver
c-straight blades/black
d-curved blades/silver

e- different carbon fork ( threadless 1 inch long steerer are hard to find)

Opinions welcome and offers entertained if you have something that suits me.
Thanks

Keith A
09-24-2012, 02:59 PM
e- different carbon fork ( threadless 1 inch long steerer are hard to find)But they are out there...it just may take a little effort and a little more $ than you would spend on a 1 1/8" one.

AngryScientist
09-24-2012, 03:16 PM
i think a steel fork would look great on there, curved. totally agree that fork is killing that nice bike...

surly makes some, as do others:

http://surlybikes.com/uploads/parts/pacer_fork.jpg

FlashUNC
09-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Didn't thoser SuperProdigy's come with some kind of chrome, curved steel fork stock?

Even if they didn't, I think a chrome fork would look great on that bike.

zennmotion
09-24-2012, 03:28 PM
IRD or Tange fork would be perfect

zennmotion
09-24-2012, 03:29 PM
IRD or Tange fork would be perfect

guyintense
09-24-2012, 03:32 PM
How do you feel about Wound Up forks?

tuscanyswe
09-24-2012, 03:42 PM
200 mm steerer enough?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EASTON-CNT-ec90-SUPERLIGHT-CARBON-FORK-SIZE-1-INCH-STEER-TUBE-/251154419851?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a79f8508b

nighthawk
09-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Columbus minimal (http://www.torelli.com/parts/carbon-forks/columbus-minimal-fork.htm)

Ken Robb
09-24-2012, 04:13 PM
A nice curved black steel would be fine. I think Rivendell sells some ready-made.

559Rando
09-24-2012, 04:39 PM
I like options B and D :-)

Curved blades are classic, straight fork blades never do it for me. And chrome is a kind of the magic finish for bikes in that it doesn't scratch. I think Tange has a nice chrome 1" threadless for you.

I'm not sure that you'll find a Surly fork that will have a 1" steerer.

Check out the axle to crown length that you need. You don't want to change that, or at least not too much.

Daniel

Marcusaurelius
09-25-2012, 12:45 AM
I don't think a carbon fork would be that difficult find. Columbus is going to be making 1" minimal carbon fork and ritchey until recently made a 1" carbon fork.

Serotta also makes a 1" carbon fork for a bit more than the others.

EricEstlund
09-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Straight or curved, I think putting something together that echoed the black and chrome finish with a white band would be a the way to go.

Sort of this type of concept (but with different details to echo what is going on in the rear):
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4013/4688864678_2cbb83ed24.jpg

oldpotatoe
09-25-2012, 07:33 AM
I love this bike but...

the fork is

1- too short
2-too ugly ( IMO )

b-curved blades/silver
c-straight blades/black
d-curved blades/silver

Thanks

Richard at Waterford can make a really nice custom fork...1 inch steerer, straight or curved legs, variety of fork crowns...

Keith A
09-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Richard at Waterford can make a really nice custom fork...1 inch steerer, straight or curved legs, variety of fork crowns......and so can a lot of other folks too that are members of our forum. Although this probably isn't the cheapest option.

oldpotatoe
09-25-2012, 08:07 AM
...and so can a lot of other folks too that are members of our forum. Although this probably isn't the cheapest option.

??

Keith A
09-25-2012, 08:17 AM
??Just saying that Richard Schwinn isn't the only builder that can make a custom fork..and going this route isn't going to be the cheapest solution available.

oldpotatoe
09-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Just saying that Richard Schwinn isn't the only builder that can make a custom fork..and going this route isn't going to be the cheapest solution available.

Nor is Surly or Woundup or IRD or.....the guys asking for suggestions, I gave him one. I think you mention this because I happen to be a Waterford dealer...

Who made that fork Ericestlund pictured? How much is it?

If you have an issue with this, PM me.

vav
09-25-2012, 08:29 AM
budget is around 200/250. I 've already looked at some of the suggestions here on the forum and replied PMs. I do like some of them. Steel is my 1st choice but after seeing the minimal and the IRD I think those would also look great. Also looking at 240 + steerer.

Keith A
09-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Nor is Surly or Woundup or IRD or.....the guys asking for suggestions, I gave him one. I think you mention this because I happen to be a Waterford dealer...

If you have an issue with this, PM me.No issues with you. I was just offering some additional options too, that there are many builders who will do custom steel forks. And having considered this route myself recently, I found that the prices were a little more than I expected.

oldpotatoe
09-25-2012, 08:40 AM
No issues with you. I was just offering some additional options too, that there are many builders who will do custom steel forks. And having considered this route myself recently, I found that the prices were a little more than I expected.

Look at Woundup recently? Not even custom.

I don't think $350 is outrageous(my word) at all. Eric's forks are the same $ if you buy with a frame, $400 if it w/o a frame. Kirk's forks are $500.

Or even Serotta, as a carbon fork goes, they are at the very high end of carbon.

Keith A
09-25-2012, 09:25 AM
vav -- One other thing you need to consider is to make sure you get a fork with the appropriate rake. I think these Superprodigy's had a 73º HTA, so I'm guessing you would probably want a fork with a 45mm offset.

559Rando
09-25-2012, 12:04 PM
vav -- One other thing you need to consider is to make sure you get a fork with the appropriate rake. I think these Superprodigy's had a 73º HTA, so I'm guessing you would probably want a fork with a 45mm offset.

And if you're spec'ing a fork, watch the axle to crown because there's more to a fork than just rake.

When you said the fork was short, I'm assuming you meant the steerer? In other words, you want more stack? Or is the A-C too short (steepening the HTA and STA and dropping the BB)?

Keith A
09-25-2012, 12:13 PM
559Rando -- Good point.

Pierre
09-25-2012, 01:01 PM
I have to agree - that fork is ruining the look of that bike. I had a similar choice to make and ended up switching out my steel fork with a slim looking look hsc-3 which I had painted to match the finish of the rest of my bike (dark blue). The HSC fork looked a bit bulky by itself but ended up working very well with a more traditional looking frame. Another fork I looked at was the Columbus muscle which you can also find in 1"...

You WILL be able to find what you want in a threadless 1"...may take a couple of weeks of trolling, monitoring, etc. For what it's worth, here is what my bike ended up looking like with the Look 1" fork painted.

bobswire
09-25-2012, 01:14 PM
I love this bike but...

the fork is

1- too short
2-too ugly ( IMO )

b-curved blades/silver
c-straight blades/black
d-curved blades/silver

Thanks
Hey Vav we seem to be on the same wavelength when it comes to choosing frames.
I used a Ritchey Comp on my Prodigy and love it.

http://oi52.tinypic.com/24lvrxz.jpg http://oi54.tinypic.com/14m5p3r.jpg

ericgantbastard
09-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Personally, I think forks with rake look best on old classic bikes. You have a pretty Cervelo here that seems to be begging for a straight blade chromed out fork. No lugs, just clean straight blade. It would make those wheels pop and look hella fast.

vav
09-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Correct. I mean steerer is too short.

And if you're spec'ing a fork, watch the axle to crown because there's more to a fork than just rake.

When you said the fork was short, I'm assuming you meant the steerer? In other words, you want more stack? Or is the A-C too short (steepening the HTA and STA and dropping the BB)?

vav
09-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Ha. I had a Paramount and obviously the Fierte very similar to yours. What I don't have is a Moots :(

Hey Vav we seem to be on the same wavelength when it comes to choosing frames.
I used a Ritchey Comp on my Prodigy and love it.

http://oi52.tinypic.com/24lvrxz.jpg http://oi54.tinypic.com/14m5p3r.jpg

vav
09-30-2012, 02:06 PM
I think that is the original fork. Its a Wolf "Cervelo" Wromen White design is stamped on the fork blades.

Didn't thoser SuperProdigy's come with some kind of chrome, curved steel fork stock?

Even if they didn't, I think a chrome fork would look great on that bike.

dougf
10-01-2012, 11:26 AM
I think that is the original fork. Its a Wolf "Cervelo" Wromen White design is stamped on the fork blades.

It is the original fork, one of my coworkers has the exact same frameset, only a bit smaller.

I think a black unicrown fork, IF or Igleheart style, with silver accents would look great on that bike.