PDA

View Full Version : paul racer m

PaMtbRider
09-24-2012, 11:54 AM
I currently have a bike with Tektro long reach side pull brakes. It would be nice to have a little more braking power on some of the steep dirt road downhills. Does anyone have any experience with the center mount Paul Racer M brakes? I know I would gain clearance but that is not really the issue. Better power / modulation is what I am hoping for.

jamaris
09-24-2012, 11:55 AM
I currently have a bike with Tektro long reach side pull brakes. It would be nice to have a little more braking power on some of the steep dirt road downhills. Does anyone have any experience with the center mount Paul Racer M brakes? I know I would gain clearance but that is not really the issue. Better power / modulation is what I am hoping for.

Compared to the Tektro I think you would gain better power/modulation. I have used them on a couple different bikes and never feel like they are lacking in power and they have a good feel as well.

EricEstlund
09-24-2012, 12:21 PM
They are a great brake. Just be sure to account for the cable hanger front and rear.

PaMtbRider
09-24-2012, 01:52 PM
They are a great brake. Just be sure to account for the cable hanger front and rear.

Are there any preferred / elegant solutions for a bolt on rear hanger? FWIW, this is for a Salsa Casseroll that uses a seatpost collar instead of a seatpost binder bolt. Thanks.

EricEstlund
09-24-2012, 02:00 PM
The Surly hanger is pretty easy to use if you have room for it:
http://surlybikes.com/uploads/parts/BR9999-01.jpg

There are other versions of that in cast aluminum that older bike shops in your area may stock.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3110kw0IDiL._AA300_.jpg

Lionel
09-24-2012, 02:09 PM
No experience with Tektro but the RacerM have excellent stopping power.

Marburg
09-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Since we're asking, anyone care to compare the Racer Ms to the Shimano long-reach calipers?

that guy
09-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Don't have any time on the Shimano brakes, but just wanted to give another thumbs up for the Paul's. The cable setup is a bit more complicated, but they will not leave you wanting for feel or power.

bicycletricycle
09-25-2012, 01:43 PM
i have both shimano long reach and racer m's on bikes i ride every week.
the levers on each bike are different so it is not a direct comparison but i think that overall i actually like the shimano's better. they are pretty close. I would have to hook them up to the same levers to really sort it out. The pauls are a little mushy feeling. They may have a little more stoipping power because of the increased leverage but they shimanos feel nice and crispy and always seem to have enough power.

i have never used the tektros.

PaMtbRider
10-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Just an update, I got the Paul brakes and had a chance to try them out today on some steep dirt road descents. I am very happy with the results. Definitely better then the Tektros that were on the bike. I hope to build a Ti gravel / dirt road bike in the near future and was undecided on brakes. I was considering going with discs until I tried the Paul's. I am sure discs would be better in the wet, but very little of my time on the bike is in rain.

559Rando
10-17-2012, 09:24 PM
I always hear good things about the Pauls. I find the Tektros to be fine unless I'm in a jam. I've cursed them a few times.

I'd also be tempted to try Dia Compe 750 since cost of admission is way lower!