PDA

View Full Version : Thwart and Mrs Thwart go west

Steve in SLO
09-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Several day ago, the Thwarts, Tom and Laurie, left their midwest home near Madison WI for a medical conference in Santa Barbara, CA. After a few days of professional education, they drove north to San Luis Obispo for a visit to our fair town. Tom had contacted me prior and wished to meet and ride, so I borrowed a bike for Laurie and lent him my Moots Psychlo-X and took off for a 30ish ride to Lopez Lake. We met my buddy Dan (GuyGadois) on our rollout and headed out for a nice ride over gentle rollers through green vineyards. It was a beautiful day, and we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. We had clear roads and good company. What was really nice was that even though our common thread was bicycles, our conversations were about everything but. Tom, Laurie and I are all healthcare professionals, so stories were swapped, experiences, pets and families were talked about, and friends were made. Tom and Laurie are good people and were fun and easy to talk to, and I had a great time riding with them. Dan...well, he's alright.
After the ride, we cooled off in our front yard beneath the redwoods where my dog, Penny made sure to get love from both Thwarts. My wife, Colleen and I then met Tom and Laurie for a post-ride taco fest featuring good food and more good conversation.
All in all it was an exceptional day and a testament to what the Paceline community is all about.
In the pics: L-R: Dan, me,Tom

reggiebaseball
09-23-2012, 10:14 PM
I would have put the third pic first, I though Mrs. Thwart had a beard for a while there.

Takes a manly man to ride a Speedvagen with Speedvagen kit to boot.

I assume you have a stable of 59cm bikes ready for loan in SLO?

Steve in SLO
09-23-2012, 10:20 PM
I would have put the third pic first, I though Mrs. Thwart had a beard for a while there.
I thought I had...mea culpa. Please stand on your head to view pics.
Takes a manly man to ride a Speedvagen with Speedvagen kit to boot.
Thank you
Mebbe I do..

Louis
09-23-2012, 10:33 PM

A truly good forumite and generous host would have a range of sizes available (starting with a 60). Just sayin'... :bike:

Caveat: but then Dave T would be showing up unannounced every now and then to ride your bikes and drink your tequila, so maybe that's not such a good idea after all.

dave thompson
09-23-2012, 10:59 PM
A truly good forumite and generous host would have a range of sizes available (starting with a 60). Just sayin'... :bike:

Caveat: but then Dave T would be showing up unannounced every now and then to ride your bikes and drink your tequila, so maybe that's not such a good idea after all.
True dat!

thwart
09-23-2012, 11:34 PM
... and a good time was had by all!

Well, we really enjoyed ourselves. Steve and Dan were kind enough to ride at a pace that we could manage. And the California weather was all it's famous for.

And... if anyone has a 56 cm Moots Psychlo X they're anxious to part with... ;)

GuyGadois
09-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Tom & Laurie & SLOSteve, good ride today. Very nice to meet you both and one heck of a beautiful day to boot. I hope the rest of your visit is going great. Louis and Dave, you'll find a slew of 59's over with Steve. My garage has the 60s although I don't have any matching jerseys to offer.

GG

Steve in SLO
09-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Tom & Laurie & SLOSteve, good ride today. Very nice to meet you both and one heck of a beautiful day to boot. I hope the rest of your visit is going great. Louis and Dave, you'll find a slew of 59's over with Steve. My garage has the 60s although I don't have any matching jerseys to offer.

GG

You're calling me SLOSteve now? It may be true, but I'm truly hurt. :(

maunahaole
09-24-2012, 01:15 AM
If thwart was in town, your tequila stash is probably safe. Your stash of wheels....that's a different thing altogether.

BumbleBeeDave
09-24-2012, 05:18 AM

... don't forget smoking all your cigars. :rolleyes:

Looks like a fun time! Thanks for not doing this in the middle of the winter. It would just be too hard to take sitting here in upstate NY with temps at 10 outside.

And . . . please let me know if you have any 56's lying around and I'll be right out. But I'll let you off easy and just sleep in my rental car.

BBD

Fixed
09-24-2012, 06:05 AM
That is cool everyone looks fit and happy
Nice story thanks for sharing :)
Cheers

texbike
09-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Cool folks in cool surroundings!

That looks like a lot of fun.

Cheers,

Texbike