PDA

View Full Version : OT: Turkey Burgers

Cat3roadracer
09-23-2012, 04:35 PM
What do you guys add to lean ground turkey to make burgers for the grill?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Minced onions, a little garlic, a bit of worcestershire sauce, and a little parsley. Used to do a bit of barbeque sauce, but it burns too easily with ground turkey.

CaliFly
09-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Try this:

1lb Ground Turkey
1T Soy sauce
1T Fish sauce
1 Small onion (preferably red)
1/2 Red bell pepper
1/2 Green bell pepper
1T Cilantro
Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Mix it, throw it in the refrigerator for an hour (or longer), shape out four patties and grill those bad boys. Yummerz.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-23-2012, 04:49 PM
"throw it in the refrigerator for an hour (or longer)"

+1 on that. Helps keep them from falling apart.

echelon_john
09-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Some 80% lean beef would probably help a lot.

572cv
09-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Try some Mango Chutney! Really lends a great taste to the turkey.

learningtoride
09-23-2012, 06:18 PM

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Show off. :rolleyes::butt::pjust made em a few nights back with some whole made sweet potatoe fries-
i use
lotsa finely chopped garlic-(i used three cloves)
quarter pouch of lipton onion soup mix-
1/8th cup of worstoshire sauce-
dash of A1
dash of franks buffalo sauce-
1/4 tsp of course black pepper-
quarter finely diced vidalia onion-
let rest in fridge for about a half hour-
shape em-
grill em
yumm em-
topped em with a gorgeous her. tomato and spinach leaf with some course ground mustard-
:banana:

Peter P.
09-23-2012, 06:56 PM
echelon john gets it.

Turkey burger is an oxymoron.

4Rings6Stars
09-23-2012, 08:01 PM
echelon john gets it.

Turkey burger is an oxymoron.

I once thought so too, but burgers are just about my favorite thing to eat and since I've tried to limit red meat to once a week or less I've had to get creative. Especially during the summer when we are grilling multiple nights a week.

You can make a turkey burger really good, but you can't make it nearly as good as a nice med/rare 80% grass fed beef burger...

djg21
09-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Minced onions, a little garlic, a bit of worcestershire sauce, and a little parsley. Used to do a bit of barbeque sauce, but it burns too easily with ground turkey.

And 2 eggs (per 1.5-2 lbs lean turkey), 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs, 2 cloves of minced garlic.

If you want an alternative to turkey and want to stay with poultry, try ostrich burgers. You can get them at organic food stores and they look and taste like beef, but are far leaner.

GuyGadois
09-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Sausage meat mixed right in. I do it with regular burgers too.

bluesea
09-24-2012, 04:50 AM
Pork fat--its the new white grease.

Fixed
09-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Mustard and pickle ,please
With lettuce and tomato ,and don't forget the onion :)
Cheers
What time should we arrive ?

echelon_john
09-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Another option that often gets overlooked is to buy local, grass-fed beef for your burgers. It's more expensive than supermarket beef for sure, but is MUCH leaner and, studies have demonstrated, healthier than the factory-farmed version.

We are meat eaters, and buy 1/2 a cow every year that makes up almost all the beef we consume. Better flavor, leaner meat, and none of the gross stuff that's in mass-market-meat. Nothing wrong with turkey if it turns you on, but there are healthier ways to eat beef.

Germany_chris
09-24-2012, 08:35 AM
I used to use egg and bread crumbs to hold them together.

Lewis Moon
09-24-2012, 08:45 AM
OK, I'm going to vent a bit here, so you can move along to the next post if you want to.
One thing that I have always thought was crazy was the whole notion of lower calorie/fat analog foods like diat soda, sugar/fat free ice cream or, gasp:eek: lower calorie/fat burgers.
If you want to have a healthier diet, you need to retrain your pallet to not crave bad food. Eating "substitute" foods just keeps you in the same rut, and maybe makes it worse, because the substitute is never as good or satisfying as the original. You spend the whole time eating the burger thinking "man, this doesn't taste anything like a real burger...and I really wish I had one right now".

Do something different with the turkey. Cook it with some garlic, Italian herbs and serve it on a salad.

Losing pounds and maintaining a healthy weight is about a lifestyle (I hate that word) change.

Fixed
09-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Hey Lewis I am with you I eat salad and 4 oz chicken or fish for dinner every night ,one hard boiled egg one slice of spouted wheat bread for breakfast
Fruit and Greek yogurt for lunch
My bad a lot of black coffee chased down with sparkling water
Cheers :)
On the other hand getting together with friends outside by the grill is a tradition and looking for healthful ways to do that is a good thing IMHO

MadRocketSci
09-24-2012, 10:47 AM
mccormack broiled steak seasoning + Jennie-O 1.25 lb 93% lean ground turkey (not the breast meat one) that has already been injected with stuff. Tastes decent grilled/panfried to me. The mccormack seasoning does contain MSG....hey you wanted flavor, right? :)

Closest red meat option is bison....though, i think that the closer it tastes to regular beef, the more likely it is grain-fed or finished and not quite as healthy as they say it is...