PDA

View Full Version : Fixie/Track frames

Jeff N.
09-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Any you'se guys know a good source for nice, pre-made track/fixie frames? Ones that come in larger (62-63 cm) sizes? I'm drawin' blanks wherever I look. Jeff N.

holliscx
09-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Cinelli Gazzetta maybe

oldpotatoe
09-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Any you'se guys know a good source for nice, pre-made track/fixie frames? Ones that come in larger (62-63 cm) sizes? I'm drawin' blanks wherever I look. Jeff N.

Bare Knuckle...imported by EuroAsia. Frames and forks.

Bianchi

http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/fixed-gear

61 largest tho

Waterford can make ya one.

http://www.waterfordbikes.com

Gunnar

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/street-dog

nooneline
09-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Just about every company sells a track frame, and most major companies have a line of consumer-end FG bikes starting around $600 retail and then going up to consumer/racer and then up to high-end racer. Most go up to about a 61cm size. If you're really well past that range you might have to go custom - I don't know if you're used to hearing this about bikes.

19wisconsin64
09-23-2012, 09:22 AM
here you go..... very reasonable. several friends of mine ride these, as fixed gear bikes. http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/

you can always just buy a road frame and convert it....that's what i do. a fellow forum member sold me a waterford frame (!) that i ride as a fixie.

AngryScientist
09-23-2012, 09:40 AM
track/fixie frames?

do you want a track frame or a road fixed frame, that's the first decision, substantial geometry difference if you want to ride on the road or race on the track.

how nice do you want? price range?

09-23-2012, 11:04 AM
You can get something that does pretty well for both in a Bareknuckle. There seem to be several on Craigslist and eBay right now. I always recommend them as the first stop. Not light, but great geometry, well built, bulletproof. They came in a few small variants -- started with 1" before moving to 1-1/8" steers, for a short while they came with rear brake cable stops on the top tube (which you can choose to love or hate), and they came with a horrible cheap Italian lacquer at first but later a mediocre quality powdercoat.

The biggest problem with Bareknuckles is usually the finish, but you can get an inexpensive and extremely durable powdercoat done. They take absolutely classic fittings -- regular threadless headsets, 27.2 mm seatposts, English bottom brackets. They never have problems with clearances. They are drilled front and rear, but no fender or rack eyelets and no water bottle cages. You can really race them too -- I've watched riders upgrade to expensive custom track bikes and copy their Bareknuckle geometry. And they do just fine on the road. The bottom bracket is a bit high for routine road, which makes the top tube higher ... the hipster crowd thinks that the frame runs big as a result, but obviously a 50 cm is still a 50 cm, and you tip the bike over sideways slightly when you put a foot down anyway, don't you (and of course that's what trackstands are for, folks).

I'd recommend a BN over any other frame in the same general price range. New they were going for about $750 or so. Now you see them for about $550 new, or fully equipped for +/- $800 or less. I usually get a frame/fork/headset in immaculate shape for about $350, and for that, it's a steal. It's worth the cost of the powdercoat.

cnighbor1
09-23-2012, 11:23 AM
BB on a pista is at less 2 cm higher
So you need less seat tube length for a pist frame

alancw3
09-23-2012, 11:36 AM
cannondale "capo" is a track bike that i believe you can just buy as a frame and fork also. largest size use to be a 63.

pakora
09-23-2012, 02:40 PM
It's hardly a blingworthy marque and it's more Fixie than Track Bike but the Surly Steamroller was the biggest production one I could find when I built up my city bike in 2005, and is quite commonly available in the US.

What they call a 62 (c-t) has a 60.8 top tube, which is about as long as you'll find on any production bike independent of type or genre.

09-23-2012, 06:33 PM
BB on a pista is at less 2 cm higher
So you need less seat tube length for a pist frame

Not really. The critical measurements are your top tube length and (assuming a flat top tube or at least measuring that way) your head tube length. The tube tube length gives how far you are reaching before taking the stem into account, and the head tube determines how much drop you have (again before taking the stem into account). You don't want to raise your bottom bracket and shorten your head tube, which means you are forced into a lower position. And you don't want to raise your bottom bracket and shorten your top tube, basically putting you on a smaller frame. You're just a little bit higher off the ground, but keep the same general geometry in mind. Certainly don't drop 2 cm in frame size because the bottom bracket is 2 cm higher.

validname
02-19-2013, 08:56 AM
deleted.

Jeff N.
02-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Pic?

Echo
02-19-2013, 09:45 AM
If Im not mistaken Felt sells the TK2 and TK3 in larger sizes...

kenmetzger
02-19-2013, 11:00 AM
The Cinelli Mash Histrogram looks to still be available in a 62 and a 64.

jmoore
02-19-2013, 11:03 AM
www.spicercycles.com can do whatever you want. Here's a 62cm on clearance.

http://spicercycles.com/product/spicer-track-frame-349-514.htm