PDA

View Full Version : good rear light? Looking for advice

bikerboy337
09-22-2012, 11:14 AM
just looking for advice on a decent rear red light for the winter months with less sunlight. Not riding in the dark, just mid afternoon and thinking I'd like something to help my visibility during training

PSC
09-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Here is what I use. Superflash.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3034.html

froze
09-22-2012, 11:32 AM
SuperFlash is now outdated design, there are several lights on the market that are remarkably brighter. Depending on how much you want to spend, the least expensive is the Blackburn Mars 4 but you must replace the batteries when they die; the rest are all rechargeable and in order of low to higher cost, first is the superbly rated Cygolite Hotshot, but then out came the even better Serfas Shield, and lastly and brightest of them all is the Light & Motion Vis 180. All of these lights are under $100 with the lowest about $30.

Here is a comparison of all the mentioned lights including the SuperFlash; see: http://www.thebicyclerepairshop.com/products/light-comparison-test.html Just decide on how much you can afford, all these lights can be found on Amazon for prices generally less then other on line stores and especially at LBS's.

Also consider getting a second rear light for added punch. I recommend the Soma Road Flares, these insert into your bar ends, they run off of a AAA battery, not those stupid button batteries. These lights are intensely bright that the little cheap button battery models can't even get close to. These Soma's are cheap in cost at about $20 for the pair.

Aaron O
09-22-2012, 11:45 AM
There might be better lights, but the super flash turbo is VERY adequate and works well. Cars see it blocks away with ambient light and it is very obnoxious in blink mode. Sometimes good enough is good enough, and this light is definitely good enough.

fourflys
09-22-2012, 11:50 AM
There might be better lights, but the super flash turbo is VERY adequate and works well. Cars see it blocks away with ambient light and it is very obnoxious in blink mode. Sometimes good enough is good enough, and this light is definitely good enough.

Agree on the Superflash... You can always spend more, but sometimes you really don't need to...

cat6
09-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Daughters of Mara was a rockband based in Los Angeles, California. The group included the singer Shawn Zuzek, the former The Mars Volta drummer Dave Elitch, the lead guitarist from Submersed Eric Friedman and the current bassist in Marilyn Manson Andy Gerold. Daughters Of Mara's first album, I Am Destroyer, was produced by Garth Richardson (Mudvayne, Rage Against The Machine) and was released on Virgin Records. The group disbanded in 2008. The album was remastered and re-released in 2012.

Tony T
09-22-2012, 11:54 AM
I use the Blackburn Flea (http://www.blackburndesign.com/lights/safety-lights-rear/flea-2-0-rear-usb.html#.UF3tU7SUeZY)

DRZRM
09-22-2012, 12:27 PM
+1 on the Light & Motion Vis 180. Very visible from side and back, no need for buying batteries, charges off a near universal micro USB charger (most cell phones use it so there is always one at both my office and my home if I should need a quick charge) and it runs a long time off a charge. It also has a battery status indicator light, so you know when you need to recharge.

Here's a video! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jceNdsMrZQU)

BurritoGuru
09-22-2012, 12:43 PM
I have the flea which is great for nights around the city.
They also have a brighter, bigger model. Not sure of the name.
Out of the numerous tail lights I have had over the years, the flea is the best and most problem free that I have owned.

mvrider
09-22-2012, 12:47 PM
If the original Superflash is not bright enough for you, the the Superflash Turbo (http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3070.html) is even brighter. I can attest that AAA alkalines have lasted for >100 hours on mine. If you want to be more eco, at the expense of shorter life, you can use NiMH AAAs. The more expensive rechargeable lights don't have nearly the lifetime.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/planetbike/media/3070.jpg

froze
09-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Sorry I disagree. Why pay for an inferior light when for maybe $12 more you can get a far better one? Just to save $12? The Super Flash Turbo 1 watt led is $23 yet the HotShot is $32 for 2 watt led. The Serfas Shield is $60 that's only $35 more then the SuperFlash.

The comparison pictures I showed used the Turbo because they were comparing the best offered by those brands. In addition the Turbo Flash and the Mars 4 and the Hotshot have a bright cone of light but little flooding, meaning the largest effect from the rear is looking at the light straight on, very few cars will have that opportunity; the flood pattern eliminates that.

I wonder how much investment the complainers made in your front lights? I'm sure some of you spent a lot, why? When a $35 head light is "good enough". So your willing to sacrifice a small margin of extra safety for $12, or slightly more safety for $35? Do as you will. Personally my next light will be the L & M Vis 180, I want the most that I can afford, and I think that light can't be significantly improved upon even spending a $100 more.

Look at the comparisons I posted and then decide how much lighting you want behind you on a dark maybe even a rainy night.

slidey
09-22-2012, 04:34 PM
It does its job well -
http://www.blackburndesign.com/lights/safety-lights-rear/click-rear.html#.UF4uohj4chQ

Aaron O
09-22-2012, 04:34 PM
1. Front lighting and rear are fundamentally different because one is merely to be seen while the other, at the pricier end, can illuminate roads to see. The functional difference between a 2watt PB and a fancy front light is substantial. The functional difference between rear lights isn't substantial because the super flash turbo is good enough to be seen for any need I can think of.

2. $12 is 50% more. Numbers Can be interpreted in many ways.

3. I like having a light I don't need to recharge and that lasts for MONTHS. If there was a front light that put out hundreds of lumens for 100 hours on aaa batteries, I'd buy it.

fourflys
09-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Agree... There is something to the thought of a rear light being too bright and looking like a motorcycle and thus lulling the drivers into thinking you may be moving faster than you are...

1. Front lighting and rear are fundamentally different because one is merely to be seen while the other, at the pricier end, can illuminate roads to see. The functional difference between a 2watt PB and a fancy front light is substantial. The functional difference between rear lights isn't substantial because the super flash turbo is good enough to be seen for any need I can think of.

2. $12 is 50% more. Numbers Can be interpreted in many ways.

3. I like having a light I don't need to recharge and that lasts for MONTHS. If there was a front light that put out hundreds of lumens for 100 hours on aaa batteries, I'd buy it.

bluesea
09-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Agree... There is something to the thought of a rear light being too bright and looking like a motorcycle and thus lulling the drivers into thinking you may be moving faster than you are...

A thought worth consideration.

fourflys
09-22-2012, 05:04 PM

gotta think about that whole "target fixation" thing...

froze
09-22-2012, 05:12 PM

Actually you don't want to consider that. Dimmer flashing lights are more difficult to ascertain distance not less, and MC lights are not the same, their on all the time and being on all the time is actually easier to ascertain distance not flashing modes. Combine a dimmer tail light into a sea of rear tail lights and it becomes even more difficult to see well.

I actually leave my main tail light on the steady mode, and put my bar end and my helmet light on flash. I use the BlackBurn Mars 4 as my main, but it burns bats rather fast at a rate of about a set every 20 hours, which is far faster then they claimed; but because I do that I'm constantly opening the bat door and now that door is getting to the point of not opening up real well due to the wear on the tab after 3 years of use. So my next one will definitely be rechargeable via a plug in cable.

Also another consideration to rear lighting is the side output, the Planet Bike suffers terribly at that, the others not so much especially the L & M Vis 180, that light, the Blackburn Mars 4, and the Serfas Shield all have a very wide almost 360 degree visibility, the Superflash is about 90 degrees off side to where it fades off dramatically. What does that mean? It means any car coming at your side stands a far greater chance of seeing you if your side lighting effective. Also with those really bright ones the flood of red light is on the ground making it easier for cars to notice you.

I'm not going to even respond to the $13 equals 50% nonsense. My god. Then you should have spent only $1,000 for your bike instead of $2,000 because that equals 50%. And the same with everything else you bought, Heck you want to go that far then just get a $13 dollar tail light after all it's 50% less. So lets go marching down to Walmart since we all know now we only need to spend $13.

4Rings6Stars
09-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Sorry I disagree. Why pay for an inferior light when for maybe $12 more you can get a far better one? Just to save $12? The Super Flash Turbo 1 watt led is $23 yet the HotShot is $32 for 2 watt led. The Serfas Shield is $60 that's only $35 more then the SuperFlash.

The comparison pictures I showed used the Turbo because they were comparing the best offered by those brands. In addition the Turbo Flash and the Mars 4 and the Hotshot have a bright cone of light but little flooding, meaning the largest effect from the rear is looking at the light straight on, very few cars will have that opportunity; the flood pattern eliminates that.

I wonder how much investment the complainers made in your front lights? I'm sure some of you spent a lot, why? When a $35 head light is "good enough". So your willing to sacrifice a small margin of extra safety for $12, or slightly more safety for $35? Do as you will. Personally my next light will be the L & M Vis 180, I want the most that I can afford, and I think that light can't be significantly improved upon even spending a $100 more.

Look at the comparisons I posted and then decide how much lighting you want behind you on a dark maybe even a rainy night.

Sounds like you're having a rough day...

You're acting like people are attacking you. We're just talking about lights and some people have different opinions than you. It's nothing personal, you can spend all the money you want on tail lights and I can spend as much as I want and think is necessary to feel safe on the road.

(FWIW I use a blackburn flea or something similar looking that isn't rechargeable)

bluesea
09-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Actually you don't want to consider that. Dimmer flashing lights are more difficult to ascertain distance not less, and MC lights are not the same, their on all the time and being on all the time is actually easier to ascertain distance not flashing modes. Combine a dimmer tail light into a sea of rear tail lights and it becomes even more difficult to see well.

True. Unfortunately there are always situations where the screw-up behind the wheel is going to take someone out no matter what.

I recently switched from a Dinotte 400R to a 300R. A few weeks ago while driving I saw two 400R in the city at both dusk and dawn. For that scenario I feel I have a great solution for a rear light.

One feature the Dinotte has that is absent in most other rear lights, is in two of its modes it stays on between strobes. It never goes black.

Don49
09-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Don't overlook the DesignShine DS-500 https://sites.google.com/site/designshinelighting/the_lights

The comparison videos are pretty impressive as is the price.

Aaron O
09-22-2012, 07:19 PM
I actually use my PB turbo super flash with the light and motion 360 helmet lighting, with AWESOME amber side lighting.

AngryScientist
09-22-2012, 07:42 PM
I just picked up a knog blinder. Very good rear light imo.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6VIZSmr1yck/UFHBhxDCenI/AAAAAAAAAyQ/cPZ5nAzU3CY/s640/IMG_0162.JPG

markie
09-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Umm lots of opinions here. Last Winter i used a planet bike super flash on my seatpost and a blackburn flea on my helmet.

Two lights are better than one.

xjoex
09-22-2012, 08:17 PM
You want to go spend $39 right now on an insanely bright 2W Lithium Polymer USB rechargeable NiteRider Solas. It is incredibly bright, so bright that cars give you a wide birth and it is noticeable during the day.

Crazy insane bright.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ct1zpAj1d-4/UF5iMeMFohI/AAAAAAAAG4o/59KL7HzkuXg/s640/IMG_9664.jpg

I ordered a second for my wife's bike.

-Joe

deechee
09-22-2012, 09:12 PM
+1 on the Light & Motion Vis 180.
Another +1 for the Light & Motion lights. Here's a review (http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Lights/Stay_Safe._Be_Seen_Light_and_Motion_Vis360_and_Vis 180_1852.html).

I just rode with my 360 & 180 last night and got caught in the rain. No problems whatsoever. I hadn't touched them in months and the charge was still perfectly good.

ctcyclistbob
09-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I've used this light and have been happy with it:

https://www.serfas.com/products/view/164/referer:products|index|lights|tail-lights

eippo1
09-22-2012, 11:08 PM
I do like the Flea for bike interchangeability, but will be getting a Niterider Solas next. 2watts, USB rechargeable, group ride mode - just awesome. I also have a PB super, a Radbot and a Mars, but I love the idea of rechargeable.

rice rocket
09-22-2012, 11:45 PM
You want to go spend $39 right now on an insanely bright 2W Lithium Polymer USB rechargeable NiteRider Solas. It is incredibly bright, so bright that cars give you a wide birth and it is noticeable during the day.

Crazy insane bright.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ct1zpAj1d-4/UF5iMeMFohI/AAAAAAAAG4o/59KL7HzkuXg/s640/IMG_9664.jpg

I ordered a second for my wife's bike.

-Joe

Ooh interesting. How's the battery life?

I have one of those rear MagicShines that are 3 watts, but I'm having trouble mounting it so that it's not aiming at the ground.

oldpotatoe
09-23-2012, 08:26 AM
I have the flea which is great for nights around the city.
They also have a brighter, bigger model. Not sure of the name.
Out of the numerous tail lights I have had over the years, the flea is the best and most problem free that I have owned.

Blackburn click light. Cheap($12), rubber hooky thing(seatpost), bright, replaceable battery...for a person who is not riding at night, just dusky or low light situations, it doesn't have to be expensive or high tech...

BumbleBeeDave
09-23-2012, 08:39 AM
This is a great, informative thread. I've got several small lights for rear use but after reading all this I'm thinking it falls into the same theme as helmets for me. How much is my butt (or head) Worth? How much is it worth to me to keep from getting run over and killed?

That Vis180 looks spectacular. Review says it also pivots so you can always make sure it's facing straight back, not toward the ground if it's clipped to your jersey. The "peloton" mode where it doesn't flash straight in the eyes of your buddies on a group ride is also great design. These people were thinking when they designed it.

BBD

oldpotatoe
09-23-2012, 08:42 AM

I actually leave my main tail light on the steady mode, and put my bar end and my helmet light on flash. I use the BlackBurn Mars 4 as my main, but it burns bats rather fast at a rate of about a set every 20 hours, which is far faster then they claimed; but because I do that I'm constantly opening the bat door and now that door is getting to the point of not opening up real well due to the wear on the tab after 3 years of use. So my next one will definitely be rechargeable via a plug in cable.

Also another consideration to rear lighting is the side output, the Planet Bike suffers terribly at that, the others not so much especially the L & M Vis 180, that light, the Blackburn Mars 4, and the Serfas Shield all have a very wide almost 360 degree visibility, the Superflash is about 90 degrees off side to where it fades off dramatically. What does that mean? It means any car coming at your side stands a far greater chance of seeing you if your side lighting effective. Also with those really bright ones the flood of red light is on the ground making it easier for cars to notice you.

I'm not going to even respond to the $13 equals 50% nonsense. My god. Then you should have spent only $1,000 for your bike instead of $2,000 because that equals 50%. And the same with everything else you bought, Heck you want to go that far then just get a $13 dollar tail light after all it's 50% less. So lets go marching down to Walmart since we all know now we only need to spend $13.

"just looking for advice on a decent rear red light for the winter months with less sunlight. Not riding in the dark, just mid afternoon and thinking I'd like something to help my visibility during training"

geeez louezze

little flashy taillight is what he's looking for...

Elefantino
09-23-2012, 08:45 AM
I got a nice free one at the AAA office.

ultratoad
09-23-2012, 08:46 AM
+1 on the Light & Motion Vis 180. Very visible from side and back, no need for buying batteries, charges off a near universal micro USB charger (most cell phones use it so there is always one at both my office and my home if I should need a quick charge) and it runs a long time off a charge. It also has a battery status indicator light, so you know when you need to recharge.

Here's a video! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jceNdsMrZQU)

I have been running this light for two years.... Day or night-- I don't leave home without it (blinking).... Highly recommended-- bomb proof....

djg
09-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Another +1 for the Light & Motion lights. Here's a review (http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Lights/Stay_Safe._Be_Seen_Light_and_Motion_Vis360_and_Vis 180_1852.html).

I just rode with my 360 & 180 last night and got caught in the rain. No problems whatsoever. I hadn't touched them in months and the charge was still perfectly good.

Yeah, I really like the 180 -- an easy, solid, and flexible mount, with good visibility on the sides as well as behind; the pulse mode seems like a really good mix of steady and attention prompting; and it seems to do a nice job of providing really good visibility without a focused blinding beam. It's a little spendy for a rear light, but I do commute on the bike and it seems like a very small upcharge for being seen.

firerescuefin
09-23-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't ride at night, but do find myself out at dusk, trying to fit a couple extra miles in. This works well.

http://bontrager.com/model/08919

jr59
09-23-2012, 09:09 AM
"just looking for advice on a decent rear red light for the winter months with less sunlight. Not riding in the dark, just mid afternoon and thinking I'd like something to help my visibility during training"

geeez louezze

Glad to see you have made it back from interbike!

This place hasn't been the same!

oldpotatoe
09-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Glad to see you have made it back from interbike!

This place hasn't been the same!

Still tired...guess I didn't drink enough.

Nothing really 'new'. Athena EPS very nice as was shimano 9000...mechanical not the Di2 9000.

Crank arm mounted powermeter.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/interbike-2012-tech-stages-cycling-stageone-power-meter

Lots of electric scooters...that had pedals. MoPed reborn.

Elefantino
09-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Lots of electric scooters...that had pedals. MoPed reborn.
AKA Strava killers?

gdw
09-23-2012, 09:32 AM
I have a Bontrager Flare 1, $15, and the girlfriend has a Niterider Cherrybomb, $21. Both are reliable and put out more than enough light. They are so bright that they double as camp lights on bikepacking trips.

xjoex
09-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Ooh interesting. How's the battery life?

I have one of those rear MagicShines that are 3 watts, but I'm having trouble mounting it so that it's not aiming at the ground.

18 hours! And it has a bolt on mount, not those annoying rubber bands that companies were pushing for the past few years.

-Joe

ctcyclistbob
09-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Was this a one time thing, or is that a benefit to members? I wonder what other services they offer cyclists, if any.

ctcyclistbob
09-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Sorry about the duplicate post!

Was this a one time thing, or is that a benefit to members? I wonder what other services they offer cyclists, if any.

Elefantino
09-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Dunno. They were on the table in the office. I helped myself.

AngryScientist
09-23-2012, 09:49 PM
geeez louezze

this guy gets it.

Tin Turtle
09-24-2012, 12:19 AM
I use a Blackburn Flea. It does the job, and I can USB charge it.

dk2ck
09-24-2012, 02:24 AM
I like the PDW Radbot 1000:

http://ebikestore.com/61-105-large/pdw-radbot-1000-1w-red-led-taillight.jpg

Runs out two AAA batteries.

Llewellyn
09-24-2012, 04:08 AM
Knog Boomer. Nice and discreet when it's mounted and more than enough light. Perfect for the conditions the OP will be riding in

n_maher
09-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Can anyone recommend one that doesn't mount to the seatpost? I rode with a guy recently who had a super-low profile (but still very visible) seat-mounted light and I should have asked what it was. :crap:

The reason for avoiding the seatpost is that I use a seat bag which takes up half the available post and when I store my bike the workstand takes up the rest and I'd rather not have to remove/install the light for every ride.

http://www.pbase.com/n_maher/image/145873495/small.jpg

xjoex
09-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Hey n_maher - The Niterider Solas mounts to the seatpost or the seat stay. It can also be clipped to a bag.

Its the jam at 4x the brightness of the Superflash and rechargeable for just $15 more no reason not to get it. Full review and pics:
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2012/09/review-niterider-solas-rechargeable.html

-Joe

arcadian
09-24-2012, 01:19 PM
I like the PDW Radbot 1000:

http://ebikestore.com/61-105-large/pdw-radbot-1000-1w-red-led-taillight.jpg

Runs out two AAA batteries.

RadBot is a great light. I also have the Exposure Lights Flare, which is a good light. Not sure it is any better than the radbot, and the radbot runs on standard batteries. The Flare is much smaller and more elegant looking.

bluesea
09-24-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm really liking the reviews of the Redzone 4, for use during daylight in a distraction rich urban environment. Should be good at night too, but does not stay on between strobes like Dinotte.

http://www.niteflux.com/Products_RedZone4.aspx

I should give it a try because I mostly use a rear light to go through this tunnel between dawn and daylight. Traffic is 45mph+ and its not lit up like that in real life.

http://imageshack.us/a/img210/2752/approachingsummitpalism.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img59/3504/descentpalismall.jpg

bigman
09-24-2012, 02:35 PM
You should be using front and rear lights, never assume what people see. No reason not to use both - at all times.

n_maher
09-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Hey n_maher - The Niterider Solas mounts to the seatpost or the seat stay. It can also be clipped to a bag.

<snip>
-Joe

Thanks Joe, I really appreciate it!

pethelman
09-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Don't overlook the DesignShine DS-500 https://sites.google.com/site/designshinelighting/the_lights

The comparison videos are pretty impressive as is the price.

Thanks for the mention....
Unfortunately completely sold out for the winter.

I will add that I highly agree with the other posters here who have mentioned an ON+Strobe mode where the light never turns off. This is most beneficial at night and helps drivers with depth perception. The pure on-off flashing can be very disorienting at night, but you definitely need it during the day. Most anything in the 2W and less category is great at night. Solve the flashing problem by getting two and running one in steady mode. In the daytime, however, you really need something in the 6Watt and up range to combat texting drivers.

The DS-500 has a very WIDE range of power control from 1 Watt up to 10 Watts, and also has the ON/STROBE feature. If you want to see what that looks like, here's a YouTube video showing the nighttime "lightening strike" and "double pulse" modes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdL-V_hf-EA