official app that will fix this but why would they? they are
at war with the mighty fruit and may sell more phones
because of this. apple
might block that app anyway
fwiw
VF

Ryun
09-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Yup. Apple maps is a very very poor imitation of google maps and a significant downgrade in the new phone IMO

Aaron O
09-22-2012, 09:58 AM
I don't understand why people are upset - Google maps are WORTHLESS without turn by turn, use mapquest and skip both.

martinrjensen
09-22-2012, 10:11 AM
maybe a dumb question but what or where is Google maps? I have Google Earth installed but I don't even see Google Maps in the apps store.

xjahx
09-22-2012, 10:12 AM
If you enable location services for safari, maps.google.com will locate you with the blue dot. The browser based program is not as smooth native app. I guess that within a few months their will be another native app from Google.

As for the real disaster, the aluminum scuffs/dents will lead to another "free" case program.

CaliFly
09-22-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't understand why people are upset - Google maps are WORTHLESS without turn by turn, use mapquest and skip both.

"Beautifully designed from the ground up (and the sky down), Maps changes the way you see the world. Map elements are vector based, so graphics and text are incredibly detailed — even when you zoom all the way in — and panning is smooth. Tilt and rotate to view an area, and Maps keeps the names of streets and places where they belong. Get visual and spoken turn-by-turn navigation and real-time traffic updates. Even soar over cityscapes to see the sights from the air in amazing, high-resolution quality"

Their words, not ours. OP is simply offering a PSA regarding a heavily touted feature in iOS6.

I would agree, however, that Mapquest is a good (no, great) alternative to Apple Maps...and Google Maps on iOS. But Gmaps/Gnav on Android is just the way it should be done. :cool:

CaliFly
09-22-2012, 10:19 AM
maybe a dumb question but what or where is Google maps? I have Google Earth installed but I don't even see Google Maps in the apps store.

It's pulled from the App Store. Apple said, "We don't need no stinkin' Gmaps!"

slidey
09-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the post, I got the update prompt yesterday but resisted thinking this would be an issue. And from what I gather, it's a huge issue.

Dont install the new os6 unless you want to lose
the integrated version of Google maps!
You can still get google maps directly on line but it wont
do things like integrate with the compass or show you where
you are with that little blue dot.
for that you will have t use the new apple maps which are
problematic in several areas. I'm sure apple will improve it
over time, but just sayin'
Some people are expecting google to come out with an
official app that will fix this but why would they? they are
at war with the mighty fruit and may sell more phones
because of this. apple
might block that app anyway
fwiw
VF

Aaron O
09-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Using an Android phone means having to deal with an AT&T store (or Verizon, they're all the same). I like Apple because of the Apple store and better service. AT&t stores are staffed by barbarians and their call service bites. Thanks, but no thanks...I'll stick with the phone Samsung imitates, the superior customer service and the integration with my iMac.

Mapquest works perfectly...I have no interest in google maps and consider it a worthless feature.

CaliFly
09-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Using an Android phone means having to deal with an AT&T store (or Verizon, they're all the same). I like Apple because of the Apple store and better service. AT&t stores are staffed by barbarians and their call service bites. Thanks, but no thanks...I'll stick with the phone Samsung imitates, the superior customer service and the integration with my iMac.

Mapquest works perfectly...I have no interest in google maps and consider it a worthless feature.

Won't get baited into a flame war, so thanks for sharing your experiences and opinions.

Cheers.

Aaron O
09-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Won't get baited into a flame war, so thanks for sharing your experiences and opinions.

Cheers.

My phone can beat up your phone ;)

rwsaunders
09-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Anybody else having mail issues on their iPhone and iPad since updating OS6?

Germany_chris
09-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Along this same vein..those of you still on Power Mac's don't get the new iPhone the code for the new dock connector is Intel only.

Syncing to your computer isn't as important but it needs to be noted.

CaliFly
09-22-2012, 12:05 PM
My phone can beat up your phone ;)

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! :banana:

BurritoGuru
09-22-2012, 12:40 PM
I used Apple maps yesterday and prefer it over Google maps. There are some things that Apple needs to work on, but it is not enough to say I want Google maps back.
My only complaint is from mac to me to icloud to whatever it is going to be next.
Enough of the cat family.

jpw
09-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Any thoughts on the upcoming Windows Phone OS and handsets from Nokia and HTC?

biker72
09-22-2012, 01:03 PM

The new maps need some help. Google maps had much more detail.
My Safari browser has some problems... pages not loading properly...etc. I've previously downloaded the Atomic browser that works much better.

Aaron O
09-22-2012, 01:17 PM
I'll wait a few weeks for the kinks to get worked out before downloading ios6. What I have is fine for me anyway; I won't bother updating until at@t rolls out 4g lte in Philly, or until my contract is up and I switch to Verizon. Whichever is first.

deechee
09-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I don't know what the big deal is. Google maps was very weak for directions but its strength was with its search. Unfortunately the new Apple one can't even find the local chicken place. That said, for basic navigation they're both the same thing.

Germany_chris
09-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Any thoughts on the upcoming Windows Phone OS and handsets from Nokia and HTC?

WP8 looks like a winner..but MS hasn't had a winning mobile product yet.

victoryfactory
09-22-2012, 02:27 PM
If you enable location services for safari, maps.google.com will locate you with the blue dot
Thanks. that's good to know
VF

67-59
09-22-2012, 03:35 PM

Not here. The maps are fine for me, and I've noticed webpages loading faster than before.

brando
09-23-2012, 01:48 AM
Anybody use any of those iphone buyback services? Seems like easy cash for an old iphone 4 but some of the online reviews make it sound like it can backfire.

Richard
09-23-2012, 07:11 AM
if you are having email problems, delete the email account and re-install it. That will fix it.

rwsaunders
09-23-2012, 07:26 AM
if you are having email problems, delete the email account and re-install it. That will fix it.

Thanks...had to do just that and all is well. Saved a trip to the Genius Bar too.

DfCas
09-23-2012, 07:38 AM
I used the map/GPS function of IOS6 yesterday and it worked fine, just as well as my Garmin. I doubt I will buy another stand alone GPS, since this seems to work as well and I assume well get free map updates along with IOS updates.

Steve in SLO
09-23-2012, 08:18 AM

I'll wait a few weeks for the kinks to get worked out before downloading ios6. What I have is fine for me anyway; I won't bother updating until at@t rolls out 4g lte in Philly, or until my contract is up and I switch to Verizon. Whichever is first.

Make up your mind, man! It's early here on the left coast and you're hurting my brain.
Edit: It's an hour later and after a cup of coffee this begins to make sense...I'll have another cup.