PDA

View Full Version : What Lightspeed Model Is This?

Barryj
09-21-2012, 07:17 PM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii295/barryj01/Lightspeed_zpsb0070d91.jpg

This is a 61cm for a grand.....fork looks beat, but what do you guys say?
I'm 6"2 200lbs.

VA-Scooter
09-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Model name is on top-tube. I can not make it out.

tuscanyswe
09-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Model name is on top-tube. I can not make it out.

I think the toptube says titanium or litespeed cause i was wondering what modell that was aswell when i saw the ad and it was more clear on other pics.

This one is polished wich i dont think was common on the "lesser" models. Atleast from what ive seen that seems to be the case. Id guess its a classic but im far from an expert on litespeed models.

Ken Robb
09-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Litespeeds are sized c-t.

Marcusaurelius
09-21-2012, 10:00 PM
The higher end models like the ultimate had a curved or altered seat tube. The vortex had curved seat stays and lighter titanium tubeset (6AL-4v) with a sticker on the seat tube.

It doesn't look like a vortex or an ultimate.

I looked at the photos again and the decals don't look right and rear dropouts look odd for a litespeed. I suspect it might not be a lightspeed.

It's not a classic because the classic never had that sort of seatpost clamp.

I've owned a couple of litespeeds (Tuscany and Vortex) and this one strikes me as very odd and not just because the decals aren't right.

oliver1850
09-21-2012, 10:10 PM
my guess is a Classic. I'm pretty sure they were available polished. I can dig some old catalogs out, but I'd need better pics to do anything more than guess.

Barryj
09-21-2012, 10:30 PM
The frame only says Lightspeed and Titanium on the tubes.

Yeah, I was thinking a Classic....for the money it seems a good buy for a complete bike......but can't be sure it's the right size bike for me.
The seller is only giving the frame size and no more details in response to my questions of specific tube lengths

Also looking at a 60cm Merxck EX Pro frame....which is also a Lightspeed, but $1200 just for the frame/fork/headset.

I really want an older Serotta Legend Ti...but having problem finding anything near my size or budget.......

I have done 7 centuries since last May and plan to ride one century a month through the winter out here in Cali. so this Lightspeed or the Merxck would be a good project/ride until I find that right Serotta.

Also the Laghtspeed is out here in N. CA...so I could check it out in person.

victoryfactory
09-22-2012, 04:36 AM
reconsidering my post....
If its really a Litespeed, the model name should be on the top tube
It could be a frame that was made by them and re-stickered by an owner.
Lots of brand were made by them.
Logo looks like 1994-1998 range.
here's a link to some older Litespeed catalogs:

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/Litespeed.html

VF

maunahaole
09-22-2012, 05:15 AM
Probably a classic, as others have said. Probably will be a noodle given your weight and the size of the frame. There is better ti to be had for a big guy.

DRZRM
09-22-2012, 07:36 AM
What happened to that Serotta on eBay? You get sniped?

tch
09-22-2012, 08:23 AM
probably a classic, as others have said. probably will be a noodle given your weight and the size of the frame. There is better ti to be had for a big guy.

+1

Barryj
09-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks Guys......

Yeah, the Classic is tempting for a complete bike, but I'll wait for a better bike and deal.

Dr. Z - I've looked at so many Serotta's I can't remember the specifics, but usually it's price or size that cuts me out.

Ken Robb
09-22-2012, 12:26 PM
I had a Litespeed Natchez that looked a bit like this bike. It was around a 60cm and flexier than a Classic. I'm 6'1 and was 210lbs +/- then. I tried a Classic and liked it fine--better than my Natchez on fast descents. I would say a Classic at a decent price would be a fine all around bike. OTOH my Serotta Legend was better in every way. In bigger sizes there is little difference between Legend and Concors.

I wonder if the earliest Litespeed frames had no model name applied because they were only making one model?

Marcusaurelius
09-22-2012, 05:52 PM
The classic used a braze-on front derailleur with 35mm seat tube not a clamp on front derailleur

Also all litespeed frames from 1993 and onward did not have dropouts like the frame in the photo (very distinctive and odd).

Barryj
09-22-2012, 08:34 PM
So......it's not a Classic???

gasman
09-22-2012, 11:46 PM
So......it's not a Classic???

It's hard to tell from the photo but I think it's a Catalyst. It fit between the Natchez and the Classic. I have the '96 model and it has been my rain bike for years. It's comfortable but would be too much of a noodle for you. I'm 6'1" and 163-165.
A rain bike in Oregon is ridden about 8-9 months a year so the bike has a lot of miles and has been great.

scogordo
09-23-2012, 07:32 AM
dropouts look... hmm. what was the name of that ti frame manufacturer from the pacific northwest a while back, i want to say oregon.

DfCas
09-23-2012, 08:31 AM
I had a 96 Classic that was polished, but I've also heard of people polishing brushed frames.

I can't tell from the pics if it has a seatpost collar. My Classic did not use a collar, it had "Ears" welded on the seattube and used a bolt on those ears. If it has a seatpost collar its not a Classic.

scogordo
09-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Any way to get another pic of the frame, particularly the dropout and/seat cluster?

Barryj
09-24-2012, 10:25 PM
I'll ask the guy for a few photos....but he did not answer any of my three questions about measurements....just repeated it's a 61cm frame.

Barryj
09-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Here's the listing and the seller has posted more photos:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320985619098&item=320985619098&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

axel23
09-24-2012, 10:58 PM
My wife has a Classic. As previously mentioned, the drop-outs are nothing like those and the front derailleur clamp should be brazed on. Plus, the seat post/top tube treatment looks different.

I've looked at a lot of catalogs, and I suspect this is not a Litespeed.

dave thompson
09-24-2012, 11:27 PM
dropouts look... Hmm. What was the name of that ti frame manufacturer from the pacific northwest a while back, i want to say oregon.

tst.

gasman
09-24-2012, 11:40 PM
It's not a Litespeed. The welds are too uneven, The dropouts and seatpost clamp are not like any from that era.

Barryj
09-24-2012, 11:51 PM
***? Wonder if it's even Ti! Well, so much for that Deal!!

Here's what I really want...and it's local! But I'm afraid it's to small, being a 58cm frame :(:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/3242712023.html

scogordo
09-25-2012, 10:31 AM
looking at the dropouts, i'm going to go with a habanero

http://www.habcycles.com/road.html

djg21
09-25-2012, 03:14 PM
***? Wonder if it's even Ti! Well, so much for that Deal!!

Here's what I really want...and it's local! But I'm afraid it's to small, being a 58cm frame :(:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/3242712023.html

Don't fixate on the seat-tube length. The more important number is the length of the top-tube on a traditional frame or the nominal top-tube length on a compact frame. Figure out what you need in terms of reach (TT + stem length), and figure on using 120 or 130 mm stem. You probably can ride a little smaller of a bike (measured by seat tube) than you're looking for. Go pay for a good bike fit before you spend money on a bike.

By example, I'm just under 6'3" and rode a 58cm Litespeed Vortex with 57.5 cm TT and a 130mm stem for years. I now ride a Lynskey which also is a 58cm, but has a 58.5 TT. I use a 120mm stem on the Lynsey. You can see that I like my bikes to have a reach of 70.5 cm.

Barryj
09-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Hey DJ,
Thanks for that info. The only comparison I got to go by is my current bike and it's a 1989 Centurion Lemans with 63cm ST, CC and 58cm TT with a 22.5 HT and I'm running Aero bars on it also.

I wanted to get a fit from the local Serotta Dealer but they were not interested in fitting me without a bike to fit too.:cool:

Here's are two photos (and for some reason a link to the third photo I wanted to post?) of the Steel Stallion: I'm no Clydesdale but what do you guys see in my setup...this setup is the result of two fitkit sessions with a trusted bike fitter.....who's 3000 mile away from my present location.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii295/barryj01/IMGP4060.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii295/barryj01/CenturionII.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii295/barryj01/Centurion.jpg

djg21
09-25-2012, 09:57 PM
I think the bike in the pic may be large for you. There is not much seatpost extended, and your saddle looks like it is very forward on its rails. This makes me think the frame is both too tall and too long.

I'd suggest that you forget everything you think you know about bike fit and go to a good pro shop to be fit on a bike. Spend the money. Don't worry about brand. Spend some time figuring out what how much reach you need and how tall of headtube you feel comfortable with. When you know precisely what you are looking for, shopping becomes much easier.

Barryj
09-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks DJ,

I freely admit I know very little about bike fitting, thus the fitkit sessions.

I got this bike as a bike swap leftover for free..so I was motivated to get me to fit it....thus it's present incarnation

Maybe I can fit a 58cm....Hmm?