PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Spooky Bikes and the Skeletor?

blantonator
09-21-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm currently ride a CAAD9 as my race bike and a CDA as my nice bike. I love the CAAD and actually prefer the handling to my CDA. Unfortunately it's a size to large. I've been on the hunt for a size smaller CAAD9/10, frameset but with no avail.

I have stumbled upon a Spooky Skeletor in my size, but have read both negative and positive reviews about Spooky and the Skeletor.

How does the build quality and ride/handling compare to a CAAD?

Chris
09-21-2012, 09:11 AM
I don't think anyone out there builds a better aluminum race bike than Cannondale. Now, you may not want to be on the same bike as 20 other people on the group ride, but if that doesn't bother you...

Bob Ross
09-21-2012, 09:17 AM
I've never seen a negative review of a Spooky. The few people I know who own them love them.

DRietz
09-21-2012, 09:20 AM
I don't think anyone out there builds a better aluminum race bike than Cannondale. Now, you may not want to be on the same bike as 20 other people on the group ride, but if that doesn't bother you...

Um, actually, someone does. And that's Frank at Spooky.

If you're buying somethig used, beware. They can be made very stiff (that's the point, after all), but if you go custom you get to control your own geometry and such.

Spooky builds a first class machine with a very minimal, industrial look.

nooneline
09-21-2012, 09:22 AM
I raced a Spooky for 3+ years. I think they're well-made, tough, no-nonsense bikes. They are very stiff. I definitely appreciated the difference that wide rims, or tubulars, made to the ride.

Nooch
09-21-2012, 09:22 AM
blatonator, what size are you currently riding?

I too feel like I'm a size too big on mine, but bought it before ever having the thought of racing, before I understood (or think I understand) the benefits of having a little more weight over the front wheel.. I'm on a 52cm, so 50cm ST, 53.5 cm TT, with a 100mm stem -- a 50cm frame would be a 48cm ST, 52.5cm TT, and I could run the 110mm stem, have all the contact points the same, and have a hair more weight over the front... someday I'll find an elusive 50cm frameset for a song and will swap everything over to it..

Regardless -- the spooky has been one of those bikes that I'd love to ride, because of it's similarities to the caad9, seemingly a caad9 on steriods.. the other, which has now been bumped to the top of my list of dream bikes, is the gaulzetti corsa...

blantonator
09-21-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm looking at buying a used, but never built frame. I'm a little worried that the 31.6 seatpost will really harshen the ride. Can anyone compare the ride to a CAAD9? Is it more harsh? I know some a lot of people dislike the CAAD9 for riding harsh, but I don't mind it. I just want to make sure this Skeletor isn't a lot worse.

ergott
09-21-2012, 09:35 AM
I love my Spooky.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/i-Dnfh8nw/0/L/Spooky-89HD-L.jpg

I don't think the seatpost effects ride quality at all. I've done a few centuries on the bike with no worries, but I also believe the comfort is achieved with good fit. I feel no less comfortable on this bike than I do my Ottrott.

It's a no-nonsense bike that isn't uber light (I think mine is around 1350g or so for a stock 54cm), but it's rock solid and responsive.

Another thing I like about my Spooky is that it fits wide rims and big tires. My 24mm wide rims make the Michelin Pro3 25mm tire measure 27mm and the fit just fine. Nice to have options. When I spoke to Mickey about it, I think he said that all Skeletors don't have the same clearance so if that's important, you might want to find that out.

Great bikes.

Dave B
09-21-2012, 09:36 AM
A few PSI less in the tires and the harsh ride goes away...to some degree.

A bigger seat post isn't going to make a huge difference in feel of the bike.

blantonator
09-21-2012, 09:48 AM

I too feel like I'm a size too big on mine, but bought it before ever having the thought of racing, before I understood (or think I understand) the benefits of having a little more weight over the front wheel.. I'm on a 52cm, so 50cm ST, 53.5 cm TT, with a 100mm stem -- a 50cm frame would be a 48cm ST, 52.5cm TT, and I could run the 110mm stem, have all the contact points the same, and have a hair more weight over the front... someday I'll find an elusive 50cm frameset for a song and will swap everything over to it..

Regardless -- the spooky has been one of those bikes that I'd love to ride, because of it's similarities to the caad9, seemingly a caad9 on steriods.. the other, which has now been bumped to the top of my list of dream bikes, is the gaulzetti corsa...

I'm just over 5'6 and on a 52 as well. It's just a hair to large.

Vinci
09-21-2012, 10:01 AM

I'm just over 5'6 and on a 52 as well. It's just a hair to large.
Too bad I didn't know about this. I sold a 50cm 2009 CAAD9 Team earlier this year for a song.

Nooch
09-21-2012, 10:02 AM
too bad i didn't know about this. I sold a 50cm 2009 caad9 team earlier this year for a song.

dammit!

Vinci
09-21-2012, 10:03 AM
dammit!
The woman I sold it to doesn't appreciate it, sadly. If she ends up trying to sell it, I'll keep you in mind.

blantonator
09-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Too bad I didn't know about this. I sold a 50cm 2009 CAAD9 Team earlier this year for a song.

That's funny because mine is 52 Team. It would have been a perfect swap!

Nooch
09-21-2012, 10:13 AM
That's funny because mine is 52 Team. It would have been a perfect swap!

You're throwing me off on the "team" -- is the geo a little different? And Vinci, yeah, if she's ever getting rid of it -- let me know.

blantonator
09-21-2012, 10:28 AM
You're throwing me off on the "team" -- is the geo a little different? And Vinci, yeah, if she's ever getting rid of it -- let me know.

No, just paint scheme. Mine looks like this, but we're getting off topic

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa292/taxi777/Cannondale.jpg

Vinci
09-21-2012, 10:42 AM
The "Team" variation were special orders by various teams. Mine was from the "Incycle" team. In 2009, the Team frames could be ordered with a BB30 bottom bracket, which the regular models didn't get. Mine also had a factory-painted Easton EC90SL fork. It was a really nice setup.

Here is how it looked right before the buyer picked it up. All Ultegra SL, except the crank. I did convince her to let me take the Fulcrum decals off, though. :)

PIC REMOVED, way too big. Sorry about that.

Here is the link to it, instead. (http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/pics/cannondale02.jpg)

G-Reg
09-21-2012, 11:39 AM
You can't do any better than the Cdale, but you could do much worse (or pay much more) than the Spooky.

Get the first one that you find that fits.

jet sanchez
09-21-2012, 12:05 PM
I have never ridden a Spooky but they have an excellent reputation from what I have seen and heard. I am not one to follow brands but I cannot swing a dead cat without hitting a Cannondale.

tele
09-21-2012, 01:06 PM
It's a no-nonsense bike that isn't uber light (I think mine is around 1350g or so for a stock 54cm), but it's rock solid and responsive.

Another thing I like about my Spooky is that it fits wide rims and big tires. My 24mm wide rims make the Michelin Pro3 25mm tire measure 27mm and the fit just fine. Nice to have options. When I spoke to Mickey about it, I think he said that all Skeletors don't have the same clearance so if that's important, you might want to find that out.

Great bikes.

to chime in: my Skeletor is a 52 and fits wide rims and tires just fine: I've got A23s with Ruffy Tuffys and did a bunch of the D2R2 roads without any issue. However, a wrench at my LBS just picked up a Skeletor and cant fit my wide wheelset.

Chris
09-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Um, actually, someone does. And that's Frank at Spooky.

If you're buying somethig used, beware. They can be made very stiff (that's the point, after all), but if you go custom you get to control your own geometry and such.

Spooky builds a first class machine with a very minimal, industrial look.

I wasn't knocking Frank the welder's skills, but I would wonder in what way would you say that the Spooky is "better" than a CAAD 9 or 10?

blantonator
09-23-2012, 07:09 PM
its mine!

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/3354/kgrhqjlqfsgrg4bqwoqe49g.jpg

AngryScientist
09-23-2012, 07:20 PM
its mine!

ooo, just my size!

definitely keep us posted with a ride report. i'm curious.

G-Reg
09-23-2012, 08:20 PM
its mine!

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/3354/kgrhqjlqfsgrg4bqwoqe49g.jpg

Ride it with pride!

Reasonably priced aluminum frames have become one of the hidden treasures in cycling.

fatallightning
09-23-2012, 10:53 PM
I have more then a few teammates/buddies with out of alignment frames. It took way too long to get rectified and/or even be right in the first place. Delivery delays etc.

blantonator
09-24-2012, 07:15 AM
I'll have to check to make sure it straights when i get it. thx.

Fixed
09-24-2012, 07:51 AM
I have a spooky t shirt and it is great .
Ready for halloween :)
Cheers
alum. Bikes Cannondales are great ,spooky is fantastic ,pegs sublime
Cheers

blantonator
09-27-2012, 06:53 PM
I got the spooky and it looks great, brand new. Now i went down to check out the rear triangle for alignment. The wheel lines up perfectly at the bottom bracket bridge, but is 1mm off center at the brake bridge. Is this a big deal? Part of the buying a hand made frame?

I'm thinking i could file the dropout a hair and get the wheel to line up perfect.

I measured the brake bridge with a perfect true wheel front and backwards without a tire.

thoughts?

eBAUMANN
09-27-2012, 10:06 PM
after swearing off aluminum for the better part of the past 5 years, i just picked up a skeletor myself for a new "race bike." i havent built it up yet but everyone i know has nothing but great things to say about their spookys and mickey (who was very quick to respond to the couple random questions i fired at him before i made the purchase), so im excited to have my mind forever changed about what i thought i knew about aluminum frames...i hope :)

AngryScientist
09-28-2012, 06:01 AM
to have my mind forever changed about what i thought i knew about aluminum frames...i hope :)

i sispect you will. i have two aluminum alloy bikes. they ride completely different from one another, so i dont think you can make any real conclusive decisions about alu. as a frame material, just about what the individual builder has done with it.

bobswire
09-28-2012, 06:39 AM
ooo, just my size!

definitely keep us posted with a ride report. i'm curious.

Curiosity may have killed the cat but it only put my bank account into the red,still though I love my new Moots.
It all started with a email I sent because I was curious about a Moots frame.
Spooky's have been on my "curious" list for awhile now.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-28-2012, 08:57 AM
A buddy of mine, who used to work at Cannondale told me that when Dorel stopped US production, the remaining inventory of Alu tubing was sold to Spooky. Can't verify, but that's what I heard. Take that for what it's worth.

temeyone
09-28-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm in the process of building up my Havocstaff now, and I can't believe how much positive feedback I receive when I tell people I got one. No one who owns one wants to ride anything else. Really stoked about it!

dave thompson
09-28-2012, 10:20 AM
When I was in the hunt for an Alu bike I considered a Spooky but I couldn't get past all the hipster/rage/metaphysical BS on their web page, which was mostly unreadable. It was a pretty big turnoff for me.

I do want something built by frankthewelder though.

tele
09-28-2012, 01:06 PM
When I was in the hunt for an Alu bike I considered a Spooky but I couldn't get past all the hipster/rage/metaphysical BS on their web page, which was mostly unreadable. It was a pretty big turnoff for me.

Through all of Mickey's bs is a guy who really loves bikes and understands what works and what doesnt. For all of the seat of pants fly by night nature he has a great product.

truebeliever
09-28-2012, 06:49 PM
I have two Spookys, Skeletor and a Supertouch. Absolutely love the way they ride.

dancinkozmo
09-28-2012, 07:19 PM

^ this...the website is brutal....i bought a caad10 on sale from rei...love it.

blantonator
09-29-2012, 12:10 PM
so looks like i got a skeletor with poorly aligned rear triangle. The park alignment gauge says it's 2mm shifted towards the non-drive side and the drop-outs are non parallel. I contacted Mickey to see what he thinks. What's you all's opinion. Is it rideable, or should i return it? I know there are some frame builders on here, who probably have a lot of experience in this kind of thing.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/6021/spooky1a.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8390/spooky2.jpg

hokoman
09-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Blantonator, you're having a bad streak of luck for a race bike. The caad10 on the classifieds a couple days ago was tempting for me too... But. I am purging. Good luck with the alignment on the spooky.

jeduardo
09-29-2012, 04:46 PM
I own a number of FTW custom geometry/welded alloy bikes (none are Mickey designed Spooky's though, I've heard VG things about them) my latest FTW Columbus steel CXer is key :banana:.
Frank's shop is semi-local(1hr 20min) to me, and besides I enjoy logging miles on the small town VT roads with him (his stories are beyond entertaining). Frank may specialize in Alum, but I am really taken with his quality steel builds
Want an FTW try him here (http://www.frankthewelder.com/)

BTW: Remember, Spooky is designs/geometry by Mickey and FTW is just the contracted welder (he'll weld you an "NHRA legal" roll cage for your '77 Nova if you ask nicely) :D

...Spooky unreadable. It was a pretty big turnoff for me.

William
10-06-2012, 10:30 PM
I saw a few Spooky's on display as the cross races today...

William

AgilisMerlin
10-07-2012, 07:33 AM
coffee and http://www.frankthewelder.com/?p=506 :banana: