PDA

View Full Version : Sssssss...squelch.......2003 Tour riders ready to...poppop

William
09-21-2012, 07:34 AM
sssssscreech.........squelch.......~A wandering minstral I ~.......scrrrrrr.....Rove dropped name of CIA age.......sphechchc.....~Gangnam Style!.....BeeeeUuuuuuuu....Your station for blasts from the past!!

"a traditional Tour", says Armstrong. The complete route of the 2003 Centenary Tour de France was announced on October 24 in Paris at the Palais des Congres. As was previously known, the route will (broadly speaking) follow the original 1903 Tour, which visited six cities: Paris, Lyon, Marseilles, Toulouse, Bordeaux, and Nantes. The 2003 Tour will also visit these cities, although there will certainly be more than six stages!

Reigning four-time TdF champion (1999, 2000, 2001 & 2002) Lance Armstrong explained to Cyclingnews that "I think this is a traditional Tour, actually. It's back to focusing the key mountain days in the middle. The biggest difference (next year) is that there are only three actual uphill finishes which doesn't suit us necessarily. I like the route though. It has an enormous amount of historical perspective while also being very modern." The 2003 Tour starts on Saturday, July 5 at the Eiffel Tower in Paris with a prologue running along the banks of the Seine River,....ssssssceeech..pop...pop ~Preperation H soothes........

Floyd Landis comments from his journal...
"A week has now passed since the finish of the Tour de France and I finally have the desire to sit down and think about my experience and how close we came, so many times, to having bad luck take away the Yellow Jersey. There were just too many times when George Hincapie (who was my roommate for those three stressful weeks) and I sat in our room after a Tour stage and asked each other what was going to happen next. The Tour de France is hard enough without having to deal with things like riding through fields, or worrying that your brakes were dragging all day because someone was trying to sabotage the team. Our bad luck began on Stage One when Lance crashed, for the first time in five Tours, in the last kilometer with 50 others rounding the last corner. Now, I find it very annoying when someone looks at bad luck and says it could be worse, because of course, it could always be worse but that's all there was to say after every single incident. In Stage One, for example, Levi Leipheimer went home with a broken bone in his back, Tyler cracked his collarbone and we were reminded how close we are at every moment to having everything change in the Tour De France.

While we don't have time for philosophy in the middle of a bicycle race, we all need to keep in mind that the same danger and fear that makes the race hard are the same reason it is so compelling to the millions of people cheering on the side of the road.

This Stage One incident was followed a few days later on Stage 8 to l'Alpe d'Huez. On the downhill after the Galibier, I looked back to see Roberto Heras crashing and Lance riding in the ditch between the road and the rock wall trying to stay on his bike. Once again, luckily, things could have been worse and the stage went somewhat well from there only to learn as I lay, exhausted, on my bed at the Club Med on top of the mountain that Lance's rear brake had been rubbing on his wheel the entire stage up to the near crash. At that point began the paranoia that someone was trying to keep us from winning by sabotaging our bikes before the stage. This may sound far fetched to anyone who has not personally witnessed some of the crazy fans who yell threats and insults about Americans, but it would not surprise me at all if some less than sane person tried something far worse than adjusting our brakes. So while it may have been a mistake, we had to be more careful and also inspect our own bikes before the start and in the race, try to avoid riding near the spectators who, as they proved later can intentionally or unintentionally alter the outcome of the race. This time it was clearly accidental but never the less almost took away Lance's last chance to gain time on Ullrich before the final time trial. But luckily, Lance and his bike continued to function and in a display of determination that I have rarely seen other than in a few cheesy movies, he still managed to win the stage and in the process the Tour de France.

Well, there is more to this story, but you get the idea, and although there were times I wished I was only watching the whole drama on television it made the whole experience that much better (only because we won) after it was over. "....pop...pop...high in the mid 70's with light clou..........

scwelch!.....Dr. Ferrari, what did you think of Tyler Hamilton's performance today? "One hour and twenty three minutes was the time to 'fly' over the final 64 hilly km of the 16th stage of the Tour: an astonishing average speed of 46.2 km/h! After being in front for 140 km, pedaling alone for more than 100, with a total difference in altitude of 2500 m, Tyler Hamilton put his signature on one of the most significant athletic exploits we have seen so far in the Tour de France. Congratulazioni!" sssssscreech.........squelch.......~A wandering minstral I ~.......scrrrrrr..... So the Centenary edition of the Tour de France seemed to me. Special in reminding us all what this race is and what it might be. Always similar but different. The level and preparation of the participants is usually very high, but this year it was really impressive, as the average speed record and the daily battles on the roads showed us...... Pascal Couchepin becomes President of the Confederation in Switzerland........sphechchc.....~ President Bush rode his mountain bike to........BeeeeUuuuuuuu....An Interview With Dr. Michele Ferrari (http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/riders/2003/interviews/?id=ferrari03b)

The Eye Of The Storm
Tim Maloney / Cyclingnews European Editor

In part two of our exclusive interview with Dr. Michele Ferrari, he talks with us about the ongoing court case in Italy and his relationship with Lance Armstrong.

While he continues with his regular business of advising cyclists, Dr. Michele Ferrari is the subject of an investigation by the Italian justice system. In December 2001 in Bologna, Judge Passarini began a case that accuses Ferrari of sporting fraud and doping. Two months later, in February 2002, pro cyclist Filippo Simeoni testified on behalf of state prosecutor Spinosa, claiming that Ferrari prescribed EPO and explaining the Ferrara doctor's alleged system to avoid doping controls. In March 2002, Dr. Michele Ferrari defended himself against Simeoni's accusations . Between last October and February 2003, both Ivan Gotti and Claudio Chiappucci testified in Judge Passarini's court on behalf of Dr. Ferrari......sssssscreech.........squelch.......~A wandering minstral I ~....Spam...

...and now you can find many more hits from 2003 from your favorite riding artists singing the following hits....

Lance Armstrong: Still a lot to ride fast for

Dave Zabriskie: Dave's excellent adventure

David Millar: Single-minded about Athens

Floyd Landis: Downtime in California

Alexandre Vinokourov: In Vino, veritas

Bradley Wiggins: Right on track

Johan Bruyneel: The back-to-back Grand Tour champion

David Millar interview: Hamilton in mind

Tyler Hamilton - A hero's welcome, and what's in store for 2004

George Hincapie - Ready to roll

David Millar - Who is the real David Millar?

Bjarne Riis - Coach to coach

....and many many more! Just send your check or money order to "Riders Sing The hits" (http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/riders/2003/interviews/?id=default).......

Brought to you by... (http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=default)

...and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

scogordo
09-21-2012, 09:55 AM
If that Tour showed me anything, it was that Armstrong was the most driven person I've ever witnessed. Driven by what, psychologically or pharmacologically, who knows, but damn if he didn't win the hell out of that Tour.

Elefantino
09-21-2012, 10:31 AM
I was at that Tour and did not dope.

fjaws
09-21-2012, 10:44 AM

You could eventually be named the winner.....Standby! ;)

Elefantino
09-21-2012, 10:51 AM
You could eventually be named the winner.....Standby! ;)

You could be right. A couple of the guys in our group beat me up l'Alpe d'Huez but I think they doped. Or at least drank heavily the night before.

soulspinner
09-21-2012, 03:15 PM
You could be right. A couple of the guys in our group beat me up l'Alpe d'Huez but I think they doped. Or at least drank heavily the night before.

:):):):)

bikerboy337
09-21-2012, 03:25 PM
I hear that consumption of whiskey can increase testerone levels to superhuman levels :banana:

jmoore
09-21-2012, 03:43 PM
I hear that consumption of whiskey can increase testerone levels to superhuman levels :banana:

If that's true, then I must be 6x Superman!

slidey
09-21-2012, 04:46 PM
I couldn't read past this line...am I right in guessing this is from Blackadder Goes Forth, where Rowan Atkinson is on the telephone with Capt Darling, and he mimics a broken radio to indicate that the communication lines are pretty bad? Corporal Punishment i think the episode might be.

So is it, is it?? :p

sssssscreech.........squelch.......~A wandering minstral I ~.......scrrrrrr

Fixed
09-21-2012, 04:54 PM

I can't remember
Cheers :)

William
09-21-2012, 05:36 PM
I couldn't read past this line...am I right in guessing this is from Blackadder Goes Forth, where Rowan Atkinson is on the telephone with Capt Darling, and he mimics a broken radio to indicate that the communication lines are pretty bad? Corporal Punishment i think the episode might be.

So is it, is it?? :p

I may be as guilty as a puppy sitting next to pile of poo. :p ;)

William