PDA

View Full Version : End of season bibs updates

bluesea
09-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Last seasons models are coming on sale, so at this point updates might be helpful.

Giordana FormaRed Carbon
My Giordana Tenex's are showing signs of age and the need for impending replacement, so a pair of Giordana FormaRed Carbon bibs was ordered from competitivecyclist.

They fit well, the chamois are encouraging and feels like it has the potential that only miles can prove, but whats up with the broad stretch bands at the cuffs? Putting aesthetics aside, and they do look weird, I wonder about longevity. Still deciding whether to trial.

FI13 S5
The FI13 S2 with use have improved to the point where they are favored long distance tools. I bought an S5 a few months ago to see whats up, and am still 50/50. It seems the super-fluff chamois is improving/flattening with use, but its not there yet. I'll need to start using it more extensively, whereas I was previously ignoring it earlier.

Okay aesthetics. I will ignore and focus on function if need be, but these are ugly. The new lower panels look like a friggen thong or a cod piece. These panels are functional however, as they make it very easy to adjust saddle position fore and aft, which is something I appreciate.

Still looking for more candidates before I stock up. Perhaps I need to look into ordering a pair of Rapha bibs, not sure whether Classic or Pro Team.

reggiebaseball
09-20-2012, 08:35 PM
I have been trying two bibs this season, the Assos Mille S5 and the Castelli Body Paint 2.0.

I am 6'4 and 210 pounds (but on days when the world has me really beaten down I may be as short as 6'3 and as heavy as 230 pounds) and use the XXXL in Castelli and the TIR in Assos.

The Assos are like Batman's suit from the George Clooney movie. They look a bit "bulky" but in a man-enhancing sort of way. The pad is like a large thin piece of memory foam, offering lots of wrap around coverage but the chamoise material is very thin and soft. I got them in white and they are very HIGHLY VISIBLE, which helps me avoid getting hit, and makes young ladies catcall while throwing their phone numbers at me.

The Castelli are like Superman's tights. They are tighter, have zero added bulk. The pad is denser but smaller, closer to my old Santini gel pad chamoise than the memory foam in the Assos. These feel so minimalist in the hand I was convinced that they would be a weightweenies cause celebre. I even busted out my digital scale so I could post something like "forget buying those $5k lightweights, here are some $200 shorts you can get to save the same weight"....
But I was wrong. The miniscule and svelte Body Glove 2.0 still weigh just 28 grams less than the Assos (about 9 oz total vs 10).

Both models have been ridden and hand washed 30+ times, but I do have several pairs of each. No failures or problems yet, I would recommend either. Both pads, though different in design, are really comfortable and solid over 6+ hour rides.

TIR in Assos is comfy at 230 lbs, and starting to get a bit big but still comfy at 205 lbs.
XXXL in Castelli is a bit snuggly tight at 230 and really hitting it's sit prime at 215. I am not sure I can get thin enough to ever make them feel a bit big.

hainy
09-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Giordana's are the only shorts I now buy.

There medium is my perfect fit for tall lean dudes. 6'2 75kg.

I have tried assos, sugoi, skins and always come back to Giordana.

Great quality at a great price.

christian
09-20-2012, 10:47 PM
I bought one of those Castelli Sanremo Speed Suits. For summer wear, there's nothing better. It is to bibs as bibs are to shorts. If money were no object, I would just keep four of these around for all summer wear.

thinpin
09-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Love end of season sales up north! New kit for our summer coming soon!

verticaldoug
09-21-2012, 12:48 AM
I bought one of those Castelli Sanremo Speed Suits. For summer wear, there's nothing better. It is to bibs as bibs are to shorts. If money were no object, I would just keep four of these around for all summer wear.

Christian,

Goto Backcountry.com do a search on Castelli sanremo. Both the plain and Garmin suits come up. When you checkout, use the code SAVE50 and get it for 50% off. so 350 down to 175 with free 2 day shipping. About the same price as a pair of bibs and jersey then.

Douglas

christian
09-21-2012, 06:26 AM
Well, I'll be damned. Thanks Doug! Actually, when compared to the retail price of a pair of Castelli Body Paint bibs, it's like getting a free sewn-in jersey.

Thanks!!!

yakstone
09-21-2012, 07:17 AM
When you read the 1 customer review it makes you think twice about buying them.

verticaldoug
09-21-2012, 07:39 AM
When you read the 1 customer review it makes you think twice about buying them.

It's a competitive shopping strategy. When something new comes out, you write a terrible review and bash it. That way it is still around end of season so you can get it on sale. I thought everyone figured out how the internet works. If it is written on the internet , it must be true.

christian
09-21-2012, 07:47 AM
It shouldn't - I think that buyer simply didn't know what he was getting. Read the internet reviews - like bike radar and rkp. It is an extremely advanced piece of kit. Doug and happycampyer can attest to how exceptionally cheap I am - if I'm dropping $175 on riding kit, it's got to be exceptional.

My favorite things about it:
- it is extremely thin and lightweight, with stretch mesh panels at pits and back, medium weight dimpled fabric on the sides, and stretch lycra in the legs.
- the pad is thin but dense and extremely comfortable
- the leg grippers aren't "grippers", but simply a wide band of more compressive and adhesive lycra, yet stay in place better than standard grippers
- the pockets are easier to access than on a tight, race-fit jersey
- the fit is "pro, pro, pro" (I am 5'11, 160 lbs and bought a size L)
- it's made in the USA (I want to know by whom!)

It's the only thing I'd now use while riding in 90+ degree weather, and I'm frankly considering using it as a baselayer in winter, too, since it has no gaps.

Given how light it is, I suspect it'd get shredded in a crash, but the same is true of fancy jerseys and shorts, though in this case, you'd have to replace the whole thing. That's a negative. Other than that, I can't think of one.

I know this sounds like religion, but I really would say it's the equivalent of buying your first good pair of bibs after riding in shorts. It's a marked improvement over what's come before.

FlashUNC
09-21-2012, 07:57 AM
I would highly recommend the Rapha classic bibs, fwiw.

Pad is a bit thick (something I tend to prefer on longer rides), but the fit isn't bunch or grabby in any one place. They just...work.

yakstone
09-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Christian,
Based on your comments I will give one a try. I am always skeptical about "reviews" posted on the net and have a lot more faith in opinions on this forum.
I never considered bashing a product so that I could score on the close-out deals. I guess the conspiracy programs are alive and well.
Thanks,

tiretrax
09-21-2012, 08:42 AM

Pad is a bit thick (something I tend to prefer on longer rides), but the fit isn't bunch or grabby in any one place. They just...work.

I second. Castellis is excellent, too.

Birddog
09-21-2012, 09:28 AM

I've been saying this for a couple of years. They also have lasted longer than any previous bib I've had. The new ones seem to have a little more compression but that might just be because they are newer in comparison.

veggieburger
09-21-2012, 09:44 AM
I have been wanting to try the Rapha shorts for a while. Is it true they fit small? According to their site, a chunk like me (6'3, 200lbs) would need XL, but I have read you need to go a size up. Thoughts?

FlashUNC
09-21-2012, 09:46 AM
I have been wanting to try the Rapha shorts for a while. Is it true they fit small? According to their site, a chunk like me (6'3, 200lbs) would need XL, but I have read you need to go a size up. Thoughts?

I've found their classics bibs to fit pretty true to their sizing chart on the website. (I'm 6'2" around 200 as well, and wear an XL.)

From what I've read, their pro team shorts are really tight and compressive. So that might warrant a size up. But no complaints on the classics bibs sizing.

bluesea
09-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Weather permitting I'll try the FormaRed tomorrow, hopefully for ~70mi. The Assos Uno looks like something I want to try.

deechee
09-21-2012, 11:19 AM
I have an older pair of Giordana Forma bibs and after losing some weight I find the legs not tight enough. (The fabric, and shorts shift around.) The lasers still fit fine, if not perfect. I'm sticking to my Giordana Lasers. The 2011's are great too, although the dotted silicon grippers on the leg aren't to my liking.

djg
09-21-2012, 11:40 AM
I have been trying two bibs this season, the Assos Mille S5 and the Castelli Body Paint 2.0.

I am 6'4 and 210 pounds (but on days when the world has me really beaten down I may be as short as 6'3 and as heavy as 230 pounds) and use the XXXL in Castelli and the TIR in Assos.

The Assos are like Batman's suit from the George Clooney movie. They look a bit "bulky" but in a man-enhancing sort of way. The pad is like a large thin piece of memory foam, offering lots of wrap around coverage but the chamoise material is very thin and soft. I got them in white and they are very HIGHLY VISIBLE, which helps me avoid getting hit, and makes young ladies catcall while throwing their phone numbers at me.

The Castelli are like Superman's tights. They are tighter, have zero added bulk. The pad is denser but smaller, closer to my old Santini gel pad chamoise than the memory foam in the Assos. These feel so minimalist in the hand I was convinced that they would be a weightweenies cause celebre. I even busted out my digital scale so I could post something like "forget buying those $5k lightweights, here are some $200 shorts you can get to save the same weight"....
But I was wrong. The miniscule and svelte Body Glove 2.0 still weigh just 28 grams less than the Assos (about 9 oz total vs 10).

Both models have been ridden and hand washed 30+ times, but I do have several pairs of each. No failures or problems yet, I would recommend either. Both pads, though different in design, are really comfortable and solid over 6+ hour rides.

TIR in Assos is comfy at 230 lbs, and starting to get a bit big but still comfy at 205 lbs.
XXXL in Castelli is a bit snuggly tight at 230 and really hitting it's sit prime at 215. I am not sure I can get thin enough to ever make them feel a bit big.

This reminds me of the thread about hard and fast rules on club rides. Dudes in white bibs: ride in the back, behind the people with TT bars.

JeffS
09-21-2012, 01:14 PM
I standardized on the FI.13 S5's about the time they came out. At 6'4" 190-210 I've owned both the XL and XLG and finally made the decision to go XL.

This year I threw a set of FI.UNO S5's into the rotation. I have been quite happy with them. Less compression. Cheaper feeling material in places, but I'm not sure that translates to anything once on the bike. I like the 13's better, but the UNO is a close second.

---
Speaking of the aforementioned FormaRed. I bought a pair when they were first released. They deteriorated faster than anything I've ever owned. Hopefully they have improved them since then.

yakstone
09-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Received the Sanremos today; excellent!
Thanks for the insight.

christian
09-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Cool. Glad you like it, too. I ordered a second one, so unless I do two-a-days next summer, I should be set to ride only in that next summer.

That said, it was 50 degrees here this morning! Boo!

bluesea
09-26-2012, 09:51 AM
I standardized on the FI.13 S5's about the time they came out. At 6'4" 190-210 I've owned both the XL and XLG and finally made the decision to go XL.

This year I threw a set of FI.UNO S5's into the rotation. I have been quite happy with them. Less compression. Cheaper feeling material in places, but I'm not sure that translates to anything once on the bike. I like the 13's better, but the UNO is a close second.

---
Speaking of the aforementioned FormaRed. I bought a pair when they were first released. They deteriorated faster than anything I've ever owned. Hopefully they have improved them since then.

Where do you find the 13 is better than the Uno, of which the latter is supposed to have a thinner pad.

yakstone
09-26-2012, 06:08 PM
I am really considering picking up another one of these, they are that nice!

JeffS
09-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Where do you find the 13 is better than the Uno, of which the latter is supposed to have a thinner pad.

The fabric on the 13 is denser. I guess most would say it has more compression, though I don't think it's an accurate word.

There is less fabric above the waist. The straps are narrower, the piece up the back is narrower. Not sure why the Uno has additional fabric, but it does.

As for the pads, I can't detect much difference in material or thickness. The most obvious difference is how they're sewn. The Uno sews the top and bottom layer together. The 13 sews the upper around the edges and sews the middle of the lower pad to the short.

Three areas where the 13 has a small advantage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13682329@N08/3360165329/

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3599/3360165329_ba3be227e6.jpg