PDA

View Full Version : Where's Mr. Squirrel when you need him? Grounded by an Acorn?

avalonracing
09-20-2012, 08:30 AM
A squirrel could have saved me a bit of pain yesterday... and today.

I don't hit the deck much... In twenty years of road riding and a whole pile of racing I've only hit pavement a handful of times... If that. (Of course one of those times probably should have been fatal as I took a serious "header" without a helmet 12 years ago).

So yesterday I was "just riding along" with a friend and as it was a beautiful day I was feeling quite spry and taking the downhills at a pretty good clip. Thankfully, no problem there. But as we cut through the paved section of the local park I pointed out the bumper crop of HUGE acorns that we have been having and said that I'm afraid of one of those huge, slippery marbles taking me out. Well, less than five minutes after that I was on the pavement.
Luckily, the pavement was fairly smooth and we weren't going quickly so my road rash is minimal but man, my ass, shoulder, arm and hip ache this morning.

One thing that I noticed as I hit the pavement was the side/back of my helmet slamming the ground. Well, now that I've tried both the helmeted and helmet-less methods of a head to pavement experience I HIGHLY recommend the helmeted method. I cracked my helmet but when I felt it hit it hit the ground but there was no pain... and no trip to the ER this time. So one of my trusty Bell helmets gave its life to help save mine... Thanks Bell.

xodus
09-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Whew! Good to know you'll be back in the saddle soon. Glad you had the helmet. Get well!

khjr
09-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Well, less than five minutes after that I was on the pavement.

Most of the ones I've been hitting either crush or shoot out to the side (like gravel). Did you hit one while banking into a corner?

redir
09-20-2012, 12:36 PM
It always seems to happen when you are "just riding along." So what happened to the poor little squirrel? :)

tch
09-20-2012, 12:48 PM

Mr. Squirrel
09-20-2012, 12:49 PM
It always seems to happen when you are "just riding along." So what happened to the poor little squirrel? :)

mr. avalon had his quick release set up too tight. i am happy you are well. i have fat acorns and no wheels. does that sound nuts?

mr. squirrel

mmuurr
09-20-2012, 01:04 PM
if it's not the acorn, it's the squirrel: http://cloudbaseimaging.blogspot.ca/2008/06/squirrels-and-carbon-forks-dont-mix.html.

Mr. Squirrel
09-20-2012, 01:09 PM
if it's not the acorn, it's the squirrel: http://cloudbaseimaging.blogspot.ca/2008/06/squirrels-and-carbon-forks-dont-mix.html.

cousin macky, may he rest in peace. timing is everything. i do hope the rider was okay. what kind of wheels was he riding?

mr. squirrel

mike p
09-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Saved by the bell!

Mike

redir
09-20-2012, 02:45 PM
mr. avalon had his quick release set up too tight. i am happy you are well. i have fat acorns and no wheels. does that sound nuts?

mr. squirrel

I think mr. squirrel the lesson you should learn is that squirrel's should wear helmets too.

kvnmuadib
09-20-2012, 09:03 PM

they are having a chip and dale ole time ..aren't these chipmunks?

tch
09-20-2012, 09:15 PM
...they're good at disguise.

:banana: