PDA

View Full Version : I like ti

vaxn8r
10-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Well, I made the plunge and purchased a Legend ti last week. No ST. Stock 56cm. Pics to come later.

Stats: Frame weight 3.125 lbs. Build Ultegra except DA crank and DA10 prebuilts. Total weight 17.25lbs. Serotta ti stem, Deda 215's, Flite, Control tech CF post, CK (of course), Ouzo Pro.

Ride: Feels soooo good. Responsive, but not quite the "rocket" feel of my Calfee. Still, if feels fast. Soaks up road imperfections, better even than the Calfee, and that's saying something. Handles like an absolute dream. Descending is fabulous. So smooth and confidence inspiring. Very nicely balanced for seated or out of saddle climbs. No hands? Well, I don't ride down hill, no hands, at 50 mph eating a tuna sandwich, but this thing rides very nicely sans hands. I did 80 miles on my first ride and I kept saying to myself: "I could ride this bike all day!".

I am so pleased. This is a really good bike. And not because I'm an old guy as was proposed on the other ti thread. Handling, leight weight, beauty, speed, comfort. What's not to like? "All day" man!

I have to say one more thing. I am even more convinced that "custom" is not the way to go. I would never want a fitter in a shop to be telling Ben Serotta how to make a race bike. He nailed this one, thank you very much!

coylifut
10-05-2005, 09:02 PM
I just spent two hours on my Ti bike, wonderful. long live ti

Ken Robb
10-05-2005, 09:09 PM
I just got back from a quick 20 miles on my Legend and it too was great.. That's an interesting comment about stock bikes--I agree for me.

BumbleBeeDave
10-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Ti is obviously the very best possible frame material. I am sure it will be around for a long time to come.

BBDave

e-RICHIE
10-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Ti is obviously the very best possible frame material. I am sure it will be around for a long time to come.

BBDave

it's a moot point.

rnhood
10-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Shimano is obviously the very best grouppo for your Ti frame. I am sure it will be around for ages.

vaxn8r
10-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Shimano is obviously the very best grouppo for your Ti frame. I am sure it will be around for ages.
Parts is parts. Most everything works great nowadays.

Tmogul
10-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey Vax,

I know you like your DA prebuilt Wh-7800 wheels but was wondering if you had bought the new Wh-7801 wheelset for your new ride. If so could you give a quick report. The new ones come with offset rear rim. This is not the tubless rim version (Wh-7801SL). Its just an upgrade from the original Wh-7800.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/cycle/seh/nl/en/news___info/news/dura-ace_aluminum.html

Wh-7801 aluminum

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/cycle/seh/nl/en/news___info/news/dura-ace_aluminum.-MainContent-0001-TextImage.MainContenttextimage.gif

Wh-7801 SL tubeless

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/cycle/seh/nl/en/news___info/news/dura-ace_tubeless.-MainContent-0001-TextImage.MainContenttextimage.gif

vaxn8r
10-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Nah, same wheelset. I have an oversupply of good wheelsets right now so no new purchases. I still love this DA wheelset. They look and ride sweet on the Legend.

bcm119
10-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Nice! No hint about color, or will you let the pics speak for themselves? My guess is yellow.

Nothing like a new bike, enjoy it.

jpw
10-06-2005, 02:58 AM
it's a moot point.

It's a Moots point. The point of Moots....ti :beer:

Climb01742
10-06-2005, 03:14 AM
vax, since you and i seem to share some likes/dislikes...any idea about the tubing used on your legend--where does it fall within the stiffness range? i've found legends to be overbuilt for me, but i remain intrigued.

jeffg
10-06-2005, 06:02 AM
Well, I made the plunge and purchased a Legend ti last week. No ST. Stock 56cm. Pics to come later.

Stats: Frame weight 3.125 lbs. Build Ultegra except DA crank and DA10 prebuilts. Total weight 17.25lbs. Serotta ti stem, Deda 215's, Flite, Control tech CF post, CK (of course), Ouzo Pro.

Ride: Feels soooo good. Responsive, but not quite the "rocket" feel of my Calfee. Still, if feels fast. Soaks up road imperfections, better even than the Calfee, and that's saying something. Handles like an absolute dream. Descending is fabulous. So smooth and confidence inspiring. Very nicely balanced for seated or out of saddle climbs. No hands? Well, I don't ride down hill, no hands, at 50 mph eating a tuna sandwich, but this thing rides very nicely sans hands. I did 80 miles on my first ride and I kept saying to myself: "I could ride this bike all day!".

I am so pleased. This is a really good bike. And not because I'm an old guy as was proposed on the other ti thread. Handling, leight weight, beauty, speed, comfort. What's not to like? "All day" man!

I have to say one more thing. I am even more convinced that "custom" is not the way to go. I would never want a fitter in a shop to be telling Ben Serotta how to make a race bike. He nailed this one, thank you very much!

I couldn't agree more about your comments on the Legend. I think stock geometry would work for me (except the Fierte). My Legend has an slightly more aggressive HT angle (73.5) than what is listed now, but that was standard then. The only push for custom is on the tubeset. I ride a 56X57, and I am sure the tubing would be different if I weighed 180 or 130 instead of 155 ...

IMHO, the Legend is the ultimate DC bike. I love my Hampsten/Parlee as well, but somehow the Legend has that slight edge in descending and overall positioning even though the Hampsten should have the same contact points, same angles, trail, etc. The Hampsten is a rocket (like your Calfee, it has that amazing feeling of whoosh when you stamp out of the saddle), but I know I am not faster on it.

znfdl
10-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Vax:

Congrats on being a convert to Ti. I too love the material. I disagree with not going custom, as my TT is 1cm shorter than my ST. Most stock bikes would have the TT 1.5cm to 2cm longer than the ST. Therefore, stock bikes do not work for me.

Enjoy the Ti for many years, as mine is 15 years old and has in excess of 100K miles on the frame.

steelrider
10-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I just took posession of Dave Thomas' Legend and I have to state that she's a beauty. The legend is replacing a Seven Axiom that was a tad too small, yet also quite pretty. Ti is certainly enduring. It has that built to last feel about it. I plan to enjoy this one.

steelrider
10-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I just took posession of Dave Thompson's Legend and I have to state that she's a beauty. The legend is replacing a Seven Axiom that was a tad too small, yet also quite pretty. Ti is certainly enduring. It has that built to last feel about it. I plan to enjoy this one.

Needs Help
10-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Is that the 1/2 polish, 1/2 matte frame that was recently listed in the classifieds? It sure looked beautiful.

gasman
10-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I will say that Vax's bike is beautiful-wait for the photos. I love the color.

Vax- How could you ride without me buddy ? Oh wait I was at work then went on a date with my wife.

Glad to hear it rides as good as it looks.

Gas

steelrider
10-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Is that the 1/2 polish, 1/2 matte frame that was recently listed in the classifieds? It sure looked beautiful.

Yes, it is. Dave is a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. I unfortunately screwed up his last name in my other attempt. No, he is not Dave Thomas the Wendy's burger guy.

steelrider
10-07-2005, 06:40 PM
I just took posession of Dave Thomas' Legend and I have to state that she's a beauty. The legend is replacing a Seven Axiom that was a tad too small, yet also quite pretty. Ti is certainly enduring. It has that built to last feel about it. I plan to enjoy this one.

That of course would be Dave Thompson. No relation to the Wendy's burger dude on TV many years ago. I had been up all night on the ambulance when I wrote the thread yesterday morning.