PDA

View Full Version : Are we a bunch of nuts?

Fixed
10-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Bro why is it that most cyclist hold their ridin skills higher than anyone around them? why is ego so big with cyclist? this guy comes ridin up it's Monday my rest day and I am ridin after work just sight seein this dude rides up, he's at least 45 starts tellin me man I am always on it I never take a rest day I am so this and that I thinkin I didn't see this cat at one race.then he says there ain't nobody in town as strong as I am. I was glad when the dude rode away. it's no wonder some people think we are a bunch of nuts.I thought latter it a tough sport we are in and one has to be sure of himself. being sure of yourself and ego are not the same are they?Bro was it F.D.R. that said walk softly and carry a big stick? when your really great you don't have to tell people about it. i.m.h.o. Cheers :beer:

Ti Designs
10-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Many of the really fast guys aren't like that, it's the ones fighting the rat race who are. Folks like Thom Norton or Kirk Albers are the nicest guys to ride with, not a bit of ego, yet they could flair up and rip legs off any time they wanted.

Along those lines, there are times other than racing when you just need to take out the hurt stick. I coach both the men's an women's team for Harvard. Coaching women is all about trust - if they trust you they will listen and do as you ask. With guys it's about respect and it's got to be earned on the bike. The same can be said for group rides. Get 20 guys together and there's very little thinking going on between attacks. If I show that they can't drop me, but have the speed to drop them, they tone it down a bit. If that doesn't work I play the age card...

Bradford
10-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Bro was it F.D.R. that said walk softly and carry a big stick?

It was Teddy, not Franklin.

Pesonally, I think any adult that trash talks about riding a bike is compensating for something. I got all of that out of my system when I was in high school.

Fixed
10-05-2005, 06:22 PM
It was Teddy, not Franklin.

Pesonally, I think any adult that trash talks about riding a bike is compensating for something. I got all of that out of my system when I was in high school. thanks for the info. cheers :beer:

Rapid Tourist
10-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Riding is so much more than being fast or being strong. Its also about enjoying the outdoors, a nice breeze, the scenery and a nice conversation with a friend, the grace and efficiency of a fixed gear, etc., etc., etc.

That dood is missing out on a lot.

keno
10-05-2005, 06:41 PM
it's a mechanical problem - the nut behind the handlebars. I agree with Bradford. Adults who talk like the fellow you mentioned likely has problems that won't be touched in the time left on his clock. Personally, I don't think it's anything special with cyclists; that type can be found in every sport and every competitive endeavor, from business to publishing academic studies to being a car maven etc.

keno

Argos
10-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Fixed,

What was he riding? Did you catch his name? It sounds like someone I know names Scott Xxxxx (his name is not really a bunch of X's)

Sandy
10-05-2005, 07:22 PM
So I ride up to a guy named Lance. He wasn't even riding an Ottrott ST. In fact, he wasn't even riding a Serotta. I laughed at him. I noticed that he was riding a Trek. Carbon. Not even custom. I really laughed at him. I started talking to him. Told him about my speed, technique, strategy, training, superior abilities.....

So I ask this guy if he wanted to race. He said no. I said why not. He said that it wouldn't be much of a race. Said that he used to race, but decided to stop this year. I asked if he was scared of losing. He said no. I then realized that he had looked at me, my bike, and sensed my overwhelming superiority, so why even try. Why couldn't this Lance guy and the rest of you just realize that there are some of us, who ride Superior Serottas at Simply Superior Speeds, and, we really are Superior to the rest of you. We have it all-Scintillating Serottas, Screachingly Supersonic Speed, Stellar Strategy, Significantly Superior Style, and Sexy Seductive Suaveness. In essence- perfection as a cyclist and a standard for the rest of you.

So if I ever see this Lance guy or any of the rest of you, remember that I don't need to talk to any of you, and I probably won't. If I am condescending, just understand why. I am just that great.

Simpleton Sandy

Sandy
10-05-2005, 07:34 PM
:) Bro why is it that most cyclist hold their ridin skills higher than anyone around them? why is ego so big with cyclist? this guy comes ridin up it's Monday my rest day and I am ridin after work just sight seein this dude rides up, he's at least 45 starts tellin me man I am always on it I never take a rest day I am so this and that I thinkin I didn't see this cat at one race.then he says there ain't nobody in town as strong as I am. I was glad when the dude rode away. it's no wonder some people think we are a bunch of nuts.I thought latter it a tough sport we are in and one has to be sure of himself. being sure of yourself and ego are not the same are they?Bro was it F.D.R. that said walk softly and carry a big stick? when your really great you don't have to tell people about it. i.m.h.o. Cheers :beer:

Wow! "He's at least 45...." Anyone 45 and up shouldn't even be allowed to ride. :) :)

Sandman

Dr. Doofus
10-05-2005, 07:42 PM
pine nut

peanut

brazil nut

macadamia nut

(I love my bloodhound)

csb
10-05-2005, 07:57 PM
marlin perkins

sweet green gerkin

pine top perkins

victorian merkin

Fixed
10-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Fixed,

What was he riding? Did you catch his name? It sounds like someone I know names Scott Xxxxx (his name is not really a bunch of X's) bro he a local cat that's been around for years that day he just got on my nerves.he rides an Orbea .45 is not that old the best rider I ride with is 53 but you would think a guy would grow up and say hey I am 45 I ain't goin to get no pro contract ,cheers :beer:

Cadence230
10-05-2005, 08:31 PM
pine nut

peanut

brazil nut

macadamia nut

(I love my bloodhound)
A fan of Senor Guest?

Fixed
10-05-2005, 08:33 PM
bro don't forget soy-nuts my fav. cheers :beer:

Bruce K
10-05-2005, 08:35 PM
"A man's got to know his limitations." - "Dirty Harry" Callahan - Magnum Force - just after Hal Linden is blown up by his own bomb stealthily returned to the back seat of his car by Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)

Wise words to live by.

BK

BumbleBeeDave
10-05-2005, 09:50 PM
<<Anyone 45 and up shouldn't even be allowed to ride.>>

I strongly RESEMBLE that remark! :mad: :butt: :eek: :crap:

BBDave, aka “The Old Man”

slowgoing
10-05-2005, 10:24 PM
beer nuts. Mmmm.

zank
10-06-2005, 02:39 AM
"A man's got to know his limitations."

BK

I found those at Pittsfield. pain....

Needs Help
10-06-2005, 03:10 AM
Riding is so much more than being fast or being strong. Its also about enjoying the outdoors, a nice breeze, the scenery and a nice conversation with a friend, the grace and efficiency of a fixed gear, etc., etc., etc.

That dood is missing out on a lot.

To be a cyclist is to be a student of pain....at cycling's core lies pain, hard and bitter as the pit inside a juicy peach. It doesn't matter if you're sprinting for an Olympic medal, a town sign, a trailhead, or the rest stop with the homemade brownies. If you never confront pain, you're missing the essence of the sport. Without pain, there's no adversity. Without adversity, no challenge. Without challenge, no improvement. No improvement, no sense of accomplishment and no deep-down joy. Might as well be playing Tiddly-Winks.

Too Tall
10-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Fixed - Is he always so hype? Puffed up braggards ply waters of the unaccomplished more often than not....you ride your bike :)

tch
10-06-2005, 08:53 AM
pine nut

peanut

brazil nut

macadamia nut

(I love my bloodhound)

Yeah, But God loves a terrier.

JohnS
10-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Yeah, But God loves a terrier.
HE owns a Golden Retriever, though! :)

Ginger
10-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Wasabi mixed nuts

Terriers love one, Goldens love everyone

csb
10-06-2005, 09:14 AM
god loves a drunk

Kevan
10-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Isn't posting here answer enough?

Instilling the killer trait, taking my son on his first organized ride, I could see that he quickly learned the name of the game was to reel-in the riders before him. Granted the 25 mile route was basically stocked with game equivalent to bunny rabbits, but I could see the competitive instinct rise from within him which is so much part of this sport. The social graces will be learned as he gets royally walloped during next year's metric century.

Just so you know...pugs behave like they are gods.

shoe
10-06-2005, 09:33 AM
how bout a weimerauner(sp?). buuussssy beee thhhat aiiint no buuusssy beee....oh- parker posey with braces....sorry a little off topic...it's the good doctors fault...that guy sounds totally kool though...even when you are out alone they still can manage to find you...the human condition ---it can push you towards the anti social...makes you appreciate your good friends though.....dave