PDA

View Full Version : Track Bike Advice...

Joey
09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Hey All,
I recently had my track bike destroyed in an auto accident and have been in the market for something new. I had a Fuji Track Comp, aluminum with carbon fork, and loved it. Lately however, I've been very interested in steel and wondering if anyone has suggestions or advice on whether it's worth looking into steel, or if I should to stick to something like the Comp that I had before.

So far, the only thing I've seen in the steel department is somewhat suspect to me. I have never been a huge fan of Schwinn, and always assumed them to produce products that are, less than, but then I found someone selling one of these:

http://www.schwinnbikes.com/bikes/bike-archive/2011/sprint-10163

which would normally seem unspectacular to me, except that the frame is Reynolds 853 and true track geo. Anyone know much about it, or have insights on if it'd be worth it to try it out, or ought I to stick to the more modern Al frames?

Just looking for thoughts, opinions, and whatever else you may have to say about it.

Thanks!

nooneline
09-18-2012, 09:39 PM
are you looking for a track bike for the track, or for the road?

the build on that Schwinn is a mess, but 853 has a good rep. but it's hard to say if steel would suit you without knowing what you plan on using the bike for.

but fwiw, the dude who just won the men's omnium nat'l championship was racing a steel bike until last year, irrc. so it's not like it can't build into a high-performance bike.

Joey
09-18-2012, 09:47 PM
are you looking for a track bike for the track, or for the road?

the build on that Schwinn is a mess, but 853 has a good rep. but it's hard to say if steel would suit you without knowing what you plan on using the bike for.

but fwiw, the dude who just won the men's omnium nat'l championship was racing a steel bike until last year, irrc. so it's not like it can't build into a high-performance bike.

I'm looking for something that can handle both. I was commuting just fine on my previous bike, and had every intention of finding my way to the Velodrome (it was my first Track bike) in the near future. So I guess that's my answer, I'm looking for something that can handle both.

nooneline
09-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Word.
An alu/carbon bike or a steel bike would be great.

Jamis used to make a model out of 631 with a full carbon fork. I always thought those would make great bikes for road or track.

Be wary of bikes with crappy geometry. The FG boom has resulted in some seriously thoughtless design. Parallel 74 or 75 degree angles (sprint geometry) isn't necessary; some road geometry is okay (most competition bikes are more in the 73degree range), but there are some weird combinations floating out there, with track angles and road forks - bikes that handle poorly because they were just slapped together and ordered from overseas.

but the good thing about a track bike is that you don't have to overthink it. it's a pretty blunt tool. it should fit, and be fairly stiff, and if you plan to train on the road, a brake hole or two is good. that's just about it.

if you ride a 52cm, I might have a frame for you...

Gummee
09-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Find yourself a secondhand Langster if you're commuting on it. It'll do better on the road than a full-on race bike, and still do the track OK.

HTH

M

redir
09-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Like most branded bike names Schwinn doesn't really mean Schwinn anymore. But Schwinn has always been a good bike brand from the low end Le Tour to the high end Paramounts. Always built to last IMHO. But they are not in Chicago anymore, not that that's a bad thing. That Schwinn Sprint looks pretty classy to me except for the stem :eek:

853 is definitely a good tube set. It sounds to me like you are going to mostly be riding on the road with an occasional outing to the velodrome so if I were you I'd go for the more road specific track bike. IF you find that you love the velodrome and you are there every weekend then a track specific bike is best.

I ride mine on the road exclusively and the bike has no holes to mount brakes. So I had to get a Kerin brake which clamps to the front fork. It works but it's not an ideal set up.

Joey
09-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Word.

the good thing about a track bike is that you don't have to overthink it. it's a pretty blunt tool. it should fit, and be fairly stiff, and if you plan to train on the road, a brake hole or two is good. that's just about it.

if you ride a 52cm, I might have a frame for you...

Yeah, that's what I love about them. Simple.
and, I do ride 52cm, you have my attention.

And thanks to y'all for the advice and tips! I'm itching to get back on the road already but didn't want to make a purchase just because I was anxious to get started, really want to find the right bike.

svelocity
09-19-2012, 09:14 PM
I've used a KHS Flite 100 mostly on the track but a bit on the road and it's a great bike. The fit of the 57cm is just about perfect for me. Reynolds 531 steel so it's kinda heavy but it's bulletproof. It's drilled for brakes front and back. Stock parts are just ok but it's pretty easy to upgrade a track bike without breaking the bank. Cheers!

pzung
09-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Hey All,
I recently had my track bike destroyed in an auto accident and have been in the market for something new. I had a Fuji Track Comp, aluminum with carbon fork, and loved it. Lately however, I've been very interested in steel and wondering if anyone has suggestions or advice on whether it's worth looking into steel, or if I should to stick to something like the Comp that I had before.

So far, the only thing I've seen in the steel department is somewhat suspect to me. I have never been a huge fan of Schwinn, and always assumed them to produce products that are, less than, but then I found someone selling one of these:

http://www.schwinnbikes.com/bikes/bike-archive/2011/sprint-10163

which would normally seem unspectacular to me, except that the frame is Reynolds 853 and true track geo. Anyone know much about it, or have insights on if it'd be worth it to try it out, or ought I to stick to the more modern Al frames?

Just looking for thoughts, opinions, and whatever else you may have to say about it.

Thanks!

This Wabi Special polished size 52 uses Reynolds 725 tubing. The geometry is not as tight as a track bike, and it behaves more like a nimble road bike. It is lugged and a bit on the heavy side, but the ride is very reassuring. Check it out.

stayposi
09-20-2012, 12:28 AM
I've got a surly steamroller that I use to commute and love it. 4130 steel and some 32s make the ride super smooth.

Joey
09-21-2012, 11:38 PM
wow! thanks for all the great advice guys!
Pzung - that Wabi Special looks mega slick! Is reynolds tubing graded logically, as in: 952>853>725>520, or how does that work? I never even knew they made a 725 tubing.

Damn I can't wait to get back on the road! A friend is lending me their "LD labs MK2" until i get back on my... wheels. I haven't heard much about them, but it'll keep me happy until I finally get my own again!

cnighbor1
09-21-2012, 11:49 PM
http://www.njs-export.com/2008/09/georama-custom-track-frames.html

false_Aest
09-22-2012, 03:35 PM
no longer made yo
but to find a bareknuckle
would be the t1ts brah

Marburg
09-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Is the Langster Steel still around? In the way-back I did daily riding + a bit of track on same.

I don't know about shipping to the US, but the Tokyo Fixed (http://www.tokyofixedgear.com/products/196-Tokyo-Fixed-Frames-2012/) frames give me the fizz:

http://www.tokyofixedgear.com/eCommImages/2/0060000004279.jpg