PDA

View Full Version : Seriously?

lovethesport
09-18-2012, 03:44 PM
I started in 1994 with a Max II Serotta mtn.bike( BR green with purple lettering) and told the shop owner I would never buy another bike again. Four years later I bought a CSI( big boy blue and white with red accent... race design)which was exhanged due to a warranty issue four years later for my current Legend.(also Trek Fuel EX 9.5 ...for my back) I love my bike. Cars come and go with little regard or emotion.I have ridden my son's Scott CS1 and other carbon fibers.. quick off the line ... fast up the hills.but?! Seriously though is the Meivici that good of a bike to graduate to or is it one just to add to the stable and be appreciated for what it is?:bike:

bluesea
09-18-2012, 04:48 PM
The Meivici is definitely a serious question.

jimcav
09-18-2012, 04:53 PM
but i've ridden a meivici, and only sold it purely to pay bills.
of all the carbon bikes i've tried only the crumpton and meivici had a ride feel that reminded me of steel more than _____. I will say i don't think the ride alone is so much better than other bikes, in fact you could get something else AND lightweights and possibly enjoy that ride more. I know I would, but that is just me. I'd say 50%+ of the bike(s) I get it is about the aesthetic of the bike. With meivici it really is your bike to create, both in response and look--that may make it worth it or put a smile on your face when you ride it more than your legend...but that is a long way of saying the answer is probably "no" it isn't some miraculous quantum-level-better bike

rbtmcardle
09-18-2012, 09:23 PM
I bought jimcavs meivici and had opportunity for a new one due to a broken seat post.. It does ride incredibly.. No doubt about it.. I continuously seek the next thing, the better thing.. Yet often lie awake at night wondering whether I am chasing a dream, seeking what's best or wasting the best thing I have ever ridden.. (seems like a Springsteen song :-/)

I will say this.. The meivici built for someone else, rides better than bikes custom made for me... Whether that was MY fault - due to the manner or request I made for a particular bike or whether that was just the cycling gods smiling upon me.. I will never truly know.. the joy is in the journey.. It may be the "be all, end all" or it may not be IT for you... I can't imagine you would be disappointed..

Steve in SLO
09-18-2012, 09:58 PM
I am about 400 miles into a made-for-someone-else Meivici and my Speedvagen is being neglected. I am sure the pendulum will swing back, but in the meantime...Wow.

lovethesport
09-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the input!

laupsi
09-19-2012, 03:26 PM
why not try an Ottrott? different materials, different feel, all said and done, great ride!

saab2000
09-19-2012, 03:38 PM
No bike exists where it is possible to say you will never get bored and want something new in a few years. The only way this happens is if you are not a serious cyclist.

I have been fortunate enough to have had a bunch of superb bikes come through the revolving door that is my garage. I have enjoyed them all and learned from them all. Some have been 'better' than others. But none didn't at some point get 'stale'.

That would also happen with a Meivici or Ottrott.

I have a Serotta Colorado III which I enjoy very much. Probably won't sell it even though the fit is less than perfect. It's just too nice. I don't ride it all that much though anymore. Maybe a few hundred miles per year. This keeps it fresh for me and each time I'm reminded why I like it.

No real cyclist will ever buy a bike thinking it is the last bike they will ever own. It's the wrong attitude to have. We all know things get better over time and sometimes we need change.

I remember when people bought Merlins and many pronounced them lifetime bikes. How many do you still see regularly being ridden as only-bikes? Very, very few.

Joachim
09-19-2012, 03:45 PM
I have both a Ti frame (Spectrum), which was custom for me, and an stock Ottrott. Both are great riding frames, but IMO wheels are just as important. In an ideal world I would like to have a set of Enve Smarts and Campy Hyperons (both tubular) and then compare the rides. Sure, wheels do not change the fit, but then again, you shouldn't be riding an ill fitting bike.

But if you want serious...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzAD7q4f-4c

572cv
09-19-2012, 08:27 PM
has become more and more sublime over the course of the year. It wasn't made for me, but from what I could find out, someone very like me in size and weight. I am totally impressed with the feel of this bike, the quality of the ride. I would not have believed this without the experience of this season on the Meivici. I love getting on this bike.