PDA

View Full Version : Buying Older Frames

Tin Turtle
09-18-2012, 01:03 AM
A couple of questions. I had read somewhere that all steel frames eventually die from rust - is this true? I am wondering about this because I have a thing for Mondia's, and before I purchase one, or another older bike, I am wondering if there is something I should check to make sure the frame is ok.

Also any other hints, maybe there is a vintage bike buyers guide somewhere?

Thanks.

efleigh
09-18-2012, 01:16 AM
it all depends on how the bike has been maintained/ stored. also, different types of steel will rust differently or at different rates, and thinner steel will fatigue and or rust through quicker than thicker steel.

just look at all the bikes from the 1920s/ 30s that are still rideable. you will not have a problem as long as you ask the seller questions questions questions, and if you can, inspect in person. check the threads on bb and steerer tube for rust, check inside the bb shell and inside the tubing, especially inside the top tube which can rust out underneith from sweat dripping onto it, and in the chain stays. look for rust bubbling under the paint in the form of round shapes or spiderwebs, etc...

dd74
09-18-2012, 05:14 AM
+1 to the post above. But also pay close attention to where the frame comes from. If it's a dry climate frame, i.e. a frame from Southern California, chances are as far as rust goes, it will be minimal.

Anything steel, from bicycle frames to older cars, that have been stored in dry climates such as SoCal, always seem to get the nod, at least from collectors.

Fixed
09-18-2012, 05:54 AM
I am in florida and my bikes have lasted beautifully why cos I take care of them , store them inside ,wipe them down . I am no different than any other bike rider collector if you love bikes you take care of them it is not that hard ,
Buy from someone that love bikes IMHO and look at it before you buy,b.b. and under t.t.
Cheers

jpw
09-18-2012, 06:08 AM
check the seat tube for water ingress off the back wheel, and the bb, where the water ends up.

oldpotatoe
09-18-2012, 07:58 AM
A couple of questions. I had read somewhere that all steel frames eventually die from rust - is this true? I am wondering about this because I have a thing for Mondia's, and before I purchase one, or another older bike, I am wondering if there is something I should check to make sure the frame is ok.

Also any other hints, maybe there is a vintage bike buyers guide somewhere?

Thanks.

I have a 27 year old Ciocc SL. Bought and rode it in Virginia Beach('beach-salt water)...it is completely clear of any rust anywhere. i never treated it, never babied it. All steel frames don't eventually die of rust or...get soft over time or are 'boat anchors'..I was in the USNavy for 20 years, never saw a bicycle used as an anchor.

Aaron O
09-18-2012, 08:32 AM
There is no reason you can't preserve a steel frame for multiple generations and protect it from rust. Spray with JP Wiegle Frame Saver, store in doors, preferably somewhere dry, keep it coated with paint, nail polish, whatever and you really shouldn’t have any issues. Wipe it down after rides…especially under the top tube. The worst rust for steel frames happens on bikes used on trainers because they aren’t wiped down. There are plenty of well maintained, beautiful thin tubed road bikes out there from “olden times” and oxidation can be slowed to the point where it isn’t a factor.

Elefantino
09-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Take care of your steel and it will take care of you long after carbon frames have turned into dust.

Rada
09-18-2012, 10:00 AM
I live in Ohio aka the rust belt. I have a number of older and newer steel bikes and I have zero rust issues. It's just a matter of taking care of your bikes, like storing them inside, wiping them down when they are wet, and making sure salt is removed quickly. I do use Frame Saver on the bikes I know that are going to be exposed to winter salt.

malcolm
09-18-2012, 10:11 AM
I have a early to mid '80s centurion prestige that I bought new. I've kept it because it was the first nice new bike I ever bought, all prior were used. The bike has never had any special care. Most of its active life was in New Orleans, ridden rain or shine. It has long since be relegated to the trainer, where with even less care the cable stays mounted on the top of the top tube have started to show some rust. It never even gets the sweat wiped off. Last time I had the seat post out I shined a light down the seat tube and it didn't even have surface rust. Rust was never really an issue in the era of steel bikes, it only became an issue when the manufactures started trying to sell alloys and composites. A properly built and reasonably maintained steel bike can be passed along to your grandkids and beyond.

FlashUNC
09-18-2012, 10:14 AM
If you're buying an older frame, just be sure to check all the usual suspect spots for any rot -- even surface rust isn't anything to get too worried about.

Heck, anything that's older that's too pristine without some patina (a nice euphemism for use and rust) doesn't look right imo.

christian
09-18-2012, 10:16 AM
My great grandfather bought a new bike in 1936. I rode it last summer. Not the swiftest thing in the world, but it doesn't have any rust.

jmoore
09-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Take care of your steel and it will take care of you long after carbon frames have turned into dust.

or explode when they are left out in the sun

pavel
09-18-2012, 05:27 PM
here is my 1971 mondia.

pretty effing far from dead.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-lyv__utysI4/UFDVoxfR3ZI/AAAAAAAACN8/FkS9b2Jd-uQ/s640/IMG_20120907_095411.jpg

old iron rider
09-18-2012, 07:26 PM
here is my 1971 mondia.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-lyv__utysI4/UFDVoxfR3ZI/AAAAAAAACN8/FkS9b2Jd-uQ/s640/IMG_20120907_095411.jpg

Thats one nice rust bucket! Bet it rides like a charm. Nothing rides quite like a high quality steel bike, such as yours. I have several bikes from the early 70's. They all still work. We still don't know if the carbon bikes will last 40yrs.

Fishbike
09-18-2012, 07:33 PM
here is my 1971 mondia.

Man that is all that a bike should be. Gorgeous.

vav
09-18-2012, 08:20 PM
If Aluminum you don't lust
steel, I am afraid will rust
and carbon will be dust
then titanium is a must

pavel
09-19-2012, 12:05 PM
yup. heres another 40 year old rust bucket.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vtvjiNAjtZY/T5w2u-eStOI/AAAAAAAAB2o/nmOfCFdugwQ/s640/IMG_20120428_112639.jpg

mhespenheide
09-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Other people have said it, but that Mondia is beautiful.

Sky blue, nice lugwork, polished components, cutaway Brooks...

So nice.

Tin Turtle
09-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Yes, that Mondia really illustrates why I like them so much. Thanks all, the information was again, very useful.