PDA

View Full Version : Fondo training - tapering question

wooly
09-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Okay - I'm doing the Leipheimer fondo in two weeks. Althought I've been putting in some extra time in the saddle I am questioning my prep but that's another thread. My question is whether tapering your mileage necessary. The newsletter that the organizers of the fondo sent out last week mentioned that we should begin thinking about doing our last one or two long rides and then do some shorter lower effort rides leading up to the fondo. What's the general consensus with this?

Thanks!

pdmtong
09-17-2012, 11:29 PM
the consensus is that unless you like looking at my sorry a$$ for 8-9 hours, you better start juicing...last weekend we did 74/6800, yesterday 62/5600...from here on out I will just do 35/3500ish...or less..make no mistake...there will be suffering. I never saw so many people walking so early as I did two years ago...

weaponsgrade
09-18-2012, 01:36 AM
I've done it for the past two years and will be riding this year. I'd say it's harder than your typical century, but it's not something like the Death Ride. You're at sea level. I finished 8 hours 20 minutes last year. And that includes a good bit of time hanging out at some of the rest stops. My recommendation is to get some low gears and make sure you have enough in the tank at the 70 mile or so mark to climb Coleman. The first year I rode a 34/26, the second year a 34/28, this year I'm gonna see if I can put on a big 'ol 32. Last year they had a dirt road option that bypassed Coleman. I took it and thought it was a nice mix. I think it might have been slightly easier than Coleman.

The descent from King's Ridge is pretty technical. So take care on that.

Also, I didn't do any special training - other than my usual weekend warrior ride. I did 70 miles last week and will probably try to get in 55 this weekend.

christian
09-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Are you fonduing for fun or trying to get a good time? If for fun, I'd go easy this week just so you have some extra gas in the tank and fresh legs.

If you're approaching it like a race, you should have a structured taper e.g. some z4 work the Tuesday before then nothing over z2 until your warm up before the gun.

Fixed
09-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Week before do 50 % of you training mileage two days before stay off just check out your bike ,day before ride 20 easy
Cheers have fun :)

wooly
09-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Just doing it for fun. Not racing against the clock. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm planning in running a 34x29 for my low gear but it sounds like I may want some thing lower for Coleman. I wish campy had something but I guess I will just grind it out.

pdmtong
09-18-2012, 12:26 PM
the problem with coleman is that it comes at mile 75 or so, right after you just had a nice snack looking at the ocean. it gradually goes up, but the kick portion is short, and if you must zig and zag, then zig and zag. else, stand and deliver. a 34-29 will be fine. the key to the whole ride is effort management and staying away from the idiots racing downhill so you stay upright. if you can suffer in the heat as you have, you will do just fine.

wooly
09-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Thank you Obi Wan

norcalbiker
09-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Grind it out.

I did this 2 years ago with Uncle Jams Army (Rob) with 34/27 Campy.
We were doing so well until with hit Coleman. That Fooker is a steep hill.
But whatever you do, do not take the bus to the top of Coleman like a lot of people did.

I am doing it again this year with a group and I am hoping that my climbing bike 34/32 :) will be done by then. If not, I am going to grind it with the 29.

Have fun!!! :bike:

pdmtong
09-18-2012, 03:23 PM
you are psyching yourself out. "Do or Do not. There is no try."

0:36 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3hn6fFTxeo

wooly
09-18-2012, 03:43 PM
you are psyching yourself out. "Do or Do not. There is no try."

0:36 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3hn6fFTxeo

Dude - I was trying to complement you with the Obi Wan reference. But if you want to be a short wrinkled green dude, aka Yoda, fine by me! :fight:

pdmtong
09-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Dude - I was trying to complement you with the Obi Wan reference. But if you want to be a short wrinkled green dude, aka Yoda, fine by me! :fight:

right now I do feel like a short wrinkled dude. but, I'll take the promotion to obi wan by the 29th.

btw, do you know there is another forumite here named "woolly"?

seriously, there is a gorgeous downhilll bomb along thee ocean, then a paceline type roll into the last big rest stop. then chug chug chug uphill. so you just have to moderate so you have gas in the tank at that point. I doubt it is steeper than anythgin youhave climbed sdown there, its just a big stinger late in the day.

of course watching the peloton destoy that climb on stage 1 of this years amgen pretty much reinforced the difference between them and us.

wooly
09-18-2012, 03:59 PM
right now I do feel like a short wrinkled dude. but, I'll take the promotion to obi wan by the 29th.

btw, do you know there is another forumite here named "woolly"?

seriously, there is a gorgeous downhilll bomb along thee ocean, then a paceline type roll into the last big rest stop. then chug chug chug uphill. so you just have to moderate so you have gas in the tank at that point. I doubt it is steeper than anythgin youhave climbed sdown there, its just a big stinger late in the day.

of course watching the peloton destoy that climb on stage 1 of this years amgen pretty much reinforced the difference between them and us.

I'm going to rely on you to be my route guide. Looking forward to it. From what I've heard it will be beautiful.

norcalbiker
09-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Just don't do all out in Kings Ridge.